Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

Would be nice if you can find a new in box RAM clutch to see, what's the, if any, difference

36387[/snapback]

When I was ordering my replacement friction plate and flywheel bolts from MG cycle, he explained that with the newer RAM clutch assemblies they've received the flywheels are thicker at the hub where they bolt to the crank. He also said the bolts (allen bolts with the newer ones) are recessed into this thicker hub.

johnk

newer RAM clutch assemblies ...the flywheels are thicker at the hub where they bolt to the crank. He also said the bolts (allen bolts with the newer ones) are recessed into this thicker hub

John,

That's interesting. Is newer RAM flywheel thicker compared with std Scura item or with earlier RAM aftermarket parts, or both?

Thanks, KB :sun:

John,

That's interesting. Is newer RAM flywheel thicker compared with std Scura item or with earlier RAM aftermarket parts, or both?

Thanks, KB :sun:

36486[/snapback]

My understanding is that it's thicker than both. Our Scura's have the early version of ther RAM flywheel. I thought about ordering up a complete assembly but this is not the best time for me to be throwing wads of cash on my machine so I tell myself I'll buy the complete assembly 'next time'.

Hopefully I won't be finding myself doing this.. :homer:

johnk

So,do I now ride my Rosso at the sort of pace it takes to keep up with my mates on R1s and Blades in fear of my life!!!!

My Rosso has now done over 9000m and is at times ridden within an inch of its life,clutchless off the rev limiter gear changes,downchanges that make the rear wheel skip and hop and the tyre sqeal...... (at I.O.M)!

My Rosso gives me so much enjoyment......

I would be devastated it to suffer the sort of damage seen in these clutch failures.

It too suffered the blistering paint finish problems and because I did not wish a sound engine to be disturbed I did not force the issue of Guzzi repainting or replacing it.

So....should we all be e mailing Guzzi about this??

If it is a design fault it should be subject to a recall. :(

Hi Andy,

This is exactly what we have been rattling on about since the start of this thread. I think it likely that all the single plate clutches will be RAM units anyway.

Having argued it through with colleagues & friends, there seems to be a concensus that it is likely to be a 'when' rather than 'if'.

According to those in the know here, there is plenty of warning that things are about to go supernova.

It is encouraging to hear that the more recent RAM flywheels are more substantial. It sounds as if they have got onto the problem & taken remedial action.

Ideally these assemblies should be dynamically balanced, as this is probably not practical for most, I think it is worth bearing in mind that the loads on the flywheel will be more out of balance when the clutch is disengaged. When it is engaged effectively it is spinning within a pair of centres and is better supported. There will be less moments acting on the beleagured flywheel. :homer:

Hope most of that made sense?

BTW I have emailed Guzzi about this & think that others have too. I received an acknowledgement of the email & that was it! :huh2: Another person hassling them may help to add weight. :thumbsup:

Nige. :helmet:

Hi Andy,

Having argued it through with colleagues & friends, there seems to be a concensus that it is likely to be a 'when' rather than 'if'.

According to those  in the know here, there is plenty of warning that things are about to go supernova.

Nige.  :helmet:

36770[/snapback]

Oh my.

And the symptoms would be? ..... Reading through this thread, I'm hearing that there would be increased rattling at idle, some unknown flywheel noises that sound like whining or chafing or what?

Now I'm concerned, even though I don't ever really shag my motor or ever approach top speed on it. If it's gonna happen sometime, I need a good idea of what it looks like before it fails on the highway, no matter if MG is acknowledging the flaw or not.

Dan

Hi Andy,

According to those  in the know here, there is plenty of warning that things are about to go supernova.

Ideally these assemblies should be dynamically balanced,

Nige.  :helmet:

36770[/snapback]

Well, if it's a matter of WHEN and not IF, then it makes sense to go ahead and replace the clutch now, as a preventative caution. You'll do it sooner or later, and sooner seems to be cautious choice.

I don't have a Scura, but I would guess the warning would be a loud chattering. I'm just guessing though.

I do have a new RAM clutch (in my Eldo, 850GT to you Euro-folks). It is dynamically balanced. It says so right on the instructions.

If I still have the instructions in the garage, I could scan and post them if anyone is interested. There's not much in them, but if you want to have a look, let me know.

J

Nige, I'll be interested to hear what your dealer has to say...wrote an email to mine inquiring about this problem and received NO response...maybe I should just bite it and trade to a brand with a dealer in town. k

I put a RAM in the Tonti. It appeared to have been balanced already, & I gathered as much from the supplier.

KB

36775[/snapback]

Yes, but a dynamic balance really has to be done after installation on your crank. Not really something for the home mechanic that! :blink:

Nige. B)

Nige, I'll be interested to hear what your dealer has to say...wrote an email to mine inquiring about this problem and received NO response...maybe I should just bite it and trade to a brand with a dealer in town.  k

36823[/snapback]

Basically the dealer is supporting me.

However.....

The silence from Moto Guzzi is deafening! :bbblll:

Nige. :moon:

Well, if it's a matter of WHEN and not IF, then it makes sense to go ahead and replace the clutch now, as a preventative caution.  You'll do it sooner or later, and sooner seems to be cautious choice.

I don't have a Scura, but I would guess the warning would be a loud chattering.  I'm just guessing though.

I do have a new RAM clutch (in my Eldo, 850GT to you Euro-folks).  It is dynamically balanced.  It says so right on the instructions. 

If I still have the instructions in the garage, I could scan and post them if anyone is interested. There's not much in them, but if you want to have a look, let me know.

J

36806[/snapback]

I agree J... I am holding out for it to be a warranty issue though. :unsure:

Your RAM clutch may well have been dynamically balanced by the manufacturer. To be done properly though it would have to be installed on the crank assembly you are using in your engine.

It would be interesting to see the instructions.

TIA

Nige. B)

So,do I now ride my Rosso at the sort of pace it takes to keep up with my mates on R1s and Blades in fear of my life!!!!

My Rosso has now done over 9000m and is at times ridden within an inch of its life,clutchless off the rev limiter gear changes,downchanges that make the rear wheel skip and hop and the tyre sqeal...... (at I.O.M)!

My Rosso gives me so much enjoyment......

I would be devastated it to suffer the sort of damage seen in these clutch failures.

It too suffered the blistering paint finish problems and because I did not wish a sound engine to be disturbed I did not force the issue of Guzzi repainting or replacing it.

So....should we all be e mailing Guzzi about this??

If it is a design fault it should be subject to a recall. :(

36560[/snapback]

so...after reading all the above listings....

all I can say is my Rosso clutch rattles like hell,pull the lever and its as silent as the church mouse. I would say its as bad as the ducati dry clutch!!

so,do I strip it all out to take a look?.......

or do I leave well alone and sue guzzi/aprilia when it goes BANG!

hmmm,wouldn't want to bankrupt em again!! lol

friggen 'ell as if I've not enough to worry about.......