Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

Well it's been a couple of days since I got my Scura back together and so far my nasty clutch area clunk noise is gone. In addition to the not very tight flywheel bolts the splines on the friction plate were pretty hammered. It had at least twice the free play on the splines than the replacement part. This I blame on there not being any lube of any kind on the splines (surprise, surprise.) I've been using anti-seize on splines like these for years and have gotten good results. A little goes a long way and it's thick enough to resist flinging off.

I guess I'll never know for sure what the noise was. Right now all I care is that I'm back on the Scura. :mg:

johnk

I had a reply from Guzzi acknowledging my email & asking me to put any such questions thru my dealer. Std reply like you Nige I think.

I have asked them again for their comments specific to this problem.

KB :sun:

34861[/snapback]

I think you even got more of a response than I did! :huh2:

Good idea to press them again though.

Nige. :blink:

Well it's been a couple of days since I got my Scura back together and so far my nasty clutch area clunk noise is gone. In addition to the not very tight flywheel bolts the splines on the friction plate were pretty hammered. It had at least twice the free play on the splines than the replacement part. This I blame on there not being any lube of any kind on the splines (surprise, surprise.) I've been using anti-seize on splines like these for years and have gotten good results. A little goes a long way and it's thick enough to resist flinging off.

I guess I'll never know for sure what the noise was. Right now all I care is that I'm back on the Scura. :mg:

johnk

34864[/snapback]

I'm pleased to hear that, John.

Obviously, I haven't heard the tell-tale noise, but my guess from your description is that the worn splines on the friction plate were probably the guilty party.

Can we take it there was no damage to the flywheel then?

Regards,

Nige. B)

I'm pleased to hear that, John.

Obviously, I haven't heard the tell-tale noise, but my guess from your description is that the worn splines on the friction plate were probably the guilty party.

Can we take it there was no damage to the flywheel then?

Regards,

Nige.  B)

34875[/snapback]

Well the noise sounded a bit 'heavy' to be the friction plate but at this point there's no way to know. As far as the flywheel is concerned there were no marks or signs of any problem at all. That's with over 22k miles on it.

I hope that's the last of my major problems until things legitimately wear out.

johnk

Well the noise sounded a bit 'heavy' to be the friction plate but at this point there's no way to know. As far as the flywheel is concerned there were no marks or signs of any problem at all. That's with over 22k miles on it.

I hope that's the last of my major problems until things legitimately wear out.

johnk

34882[/snapback]

I'm very pleased to hear that, John.

Technical bit: :blink:

A 'clunk' on the splines is probably going to be amplified around the engine & transmission unit though. :unsure:

I hope you have a trouble-free run from now on too!

Regards,

Nige. B)

The last german one had his bike replaced with a (ex demo)cafe sport from the importer, they found it to expensive to repair.

34885[/snapback]

With the expensive 'collateral' damage, I am not surprised at that, Paul.

Will we see bits of it on ebay do you think? :grin:

Nige. B)

Guest RPHETTEPLACE

I just contacted Moto Guzzi USA for other MG questions. While speaking to the warranty representative I asked what Moto Guzzi's stance was on the 'exploding' clutch issue. After much hemming and hawwing I was given basically a "no comment" :huh2:

I just contacted Moto Guzzi USA for other MG questions.  While speaking to the warranty representative I asked what Moto Guzzi's stance was on the 'exploding' clutch issue.  After much hemming and hawwing I was given basically a "no comment" :huh2:

34999[/snapback]

I suppose you could view that as an improvement from 'What problem?' :angry:

Nige. :huh:

This is MG Customer Service reply to me 2nd email:

"We confirm what we have earlier stated, as a customer service we do not provide any technical information, but the customers point of reference regarding technical queries is the official Moto Guzzi dealer network. Communication regarding technical issues is so ongoing from Moto Guzzi technical department to the dealer network. Therefore, we are not able to assist you any further with this matter."

"P*ss off & stop bothering us" ? Surprised?

They've told my dealer nothing about the Scura clutches.

They told him nothing about the pawl spring either.

Well I've written back anyhow, I'm sure they don't mean it.

Wow.  63 words and it said absolutely nothing.  F**king amazing.

Keep after 'em KB. 

J

35123[/snapback]

What makes this so enraging is that there ARE good dealers out there, but if your dealer is a complete dipshit, and there are lots of those around, it means you can't get ANY information at all.

This is insane

Pete

... there ARE good dealers out there, but if your dealer is a complete dipshit, and there are lots of those around, it means you can't get ANY information at all...the most reputable Guzzi workshops and parts suppliers aren't official dealers...

To avoid any misunderstanding ...I wouldn't say anything against the official Guzzi dealer who's handled warranty stuff & servicing for me (Corsa Italiana/Spares GB). The people there have been dealing with Guzzis, officially & unnoficially, for longer than the 20yrs I've had them. The problem is not with them - it is with Moto Guzzi/Aprilia. Guzzi don't give the dealers the support they should. Oversize bosses on pawl arms breaking springs were discovered in the workshop of an official UK dealer (Mark @ Twiggers) not told to him/us by MG/Aprilia. I have managed to run Guzzis all this time because there's a small network of dedicated, & mostly independent shops who source stuff straight from Italy. If you had to wait for parts thru the official Guzzi system, as is documented on this forum - forget it.

I think it is pretty obvious there has been some bad quality control at the factory in recent years. & the bean counters Pete's always on about are probably responsible. Guzzi/Aprilia & the importers stick their heads in the sand & hope for better days with some tarted up new models. It seems they treat their official dealers with no less contempt than they do their punters. They shaft them by unloading bikes in volume at low prices to discount dealers with no interest in the marque so they can shift stock. I don't know where in the Guzzi/Aprilia/Piaggio mess the problem lies, but unless they sort themselves, they deserve to go belly-up. Guzzi have managed to struggle on partly cos of the huge amount of goodwill towards Guzzi held by anyone who's ridden them for any time. I wouldn't accept this sh*t off any other bike.

The V11 Guzzi is fundamentally a good, honest motorcyle. The motor was designed over thirty years ago & the frame was given to it by an american dentist. So... thanks to all the good guys &....the rest? well sod em.