Coast Hwy 1 over to Bakersfield!

tomsp

Sounds good to me. Name the time. Maybe a dinner thing is better this time of year and not hearing a lot of excitement about the ride (I could be wrong on that though :D ). What do you other guys want to do -- dinner in Modesto???

Let hear from some of you :bier: If people want- my house in Stockton is always open for staying the night if need be too --if too much night riding doesn't suite you.

on a side note-- went over to Sear's Point today for the last of the AFM races. Fun but very windy going over and nice going back. Just about got myself piled up coming back though on a new construction part- people were slamming on their brakes in front of me, I must have been asleep at the handlebars cause I didn't see it coming! Had to go wide, make my own lane into the construction area and totally freaked all the cars out behind me! Whew!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want, we can do a local ride in this area. A good local jaunt is to go out Hwy 132 east of Modesto to Roberts Ferry, check out the (new) covered bridge there (about 1/8 mile of 132), then a bit further up 132 to Crabtree Road, north (desolate twisty bumpy tertiary road) to Knights Ferry (via a few other back of nowhere roads) and look at the (old) wooden covered bridge there, and then Orange Blossem/Rodden roads back to Modesto.About 65 miles and a nearly two hours.

An even better ride would be like the one up to Jackson a few years ago on the way to the Sutter Creek Italian Day Parade. More like a 2/3rds day ride. That would be out through Oakdale, north to Copperopolis, east on 4 to Poole Station Road and up to Hwy 49 and then a choice of north or south or up the hill (east) from there. There are a myriad of possibilites in that area.

The weather right now is not bad at all.

I think Friday is looking good.. How about meeting in Modesto on Friday morning for coffee and heading out from there?? Might give us a chance to ride and still make it off the highways before the Friday afternoon cage-fest.. (aka rush hour)..??

Cheers, Tim

Hey guzzitim- I have to be here Saturday at any rate - and last night my daughter came home for a week! So going up the coast Friday (and MTL next week!) is out for me. Getting a bunch of guys together to do something is no easy task :!:

Guest Dave Pott

This upcoming weekend is a long Columbus Day weekend and I'm hopng to do some sort of long ride, possibly up to Mendocino.

The two most likely options are:

1)- Hwy 49 up to Grass Valley then Hwy 20 across the Sacto Valley to Ukiah then Hwy's 253/128 to the coast. Haven't thought far enough ahead yet for the return part.

2)- Head straight west to Hwy 1 and then head straight north all the way to our little bugalow in Irish Beach(sits just a few hundred feet off of Hwy 1). May spend first night in the City.

A run to Reno and a couple of High Sierra passes has a nice ring to it too. Decisions decisions :huh2:

Not sure if the wife will ride along or not.

If any of this interests anyone let me know... my plans are quite fluid at this point.

Friday is out for me. But... How about the Italian Dinner thing Thursday evening? Joe in Modesto is free that day too (plus, it's two blocks from where he lives) and at least as an evening meet and greet, we're not obligated to do anything more than be there, eat, converse and disperse. On a weekday, that's generally pretty acceptable. That, and the weather is still quite nice for an evening ride home.

Due to kiddo's Soccer games, et al.... Sundays are really the only "Group Ride" type days open to me through mid November.

If ya'll put together a ride on a Sunday, let me know and I'll see. I'd love to go on a day ride.

...although the bike will be in the shop for an indeterminate amount of time any day now for the case swap, etc... sooo :huh2:

Just let us all know what develops.

al

All, I'm up for the Modesto thing- meet for breakfast-coffee- and go up anywhichway. You're right Callison, there are beautiful roads up there and those bridges are really cool I hear. How about it??? :food: I got to be back sometime Friday however!! Or like Al said, meet on Sunday a.m. early (same-- breakfast-coffee) and go???

And davidb ougth to come too if he knew what was good for him :P that's his cool, highly modified v11 next to my black goose.

2geese.jpg

Sunday is wide open for me. Al, if you want to drive out, you can ride whatever I have that runs that I'm not riding. Meaning... I haven't finished working on the V11 Sport for a shake down drive yet, but I would be ready for Sunday. That would leave the California or V65 to ride. The Bugswatter, unfortunately, is not ready for prime time...

Yosemite is a very long day and ride at not very fast speeds. It's more a thing to do when you're cruising with family. Well, let's see. How about:

7:30 - 8:30 or so, we meet at:

Mangy Moose Cafe

506 E Yosemite Ave

Manteca, CA 95336-5807

Phone: (209) 239-1958

mangy_moose.gif

If you liked the show "Northern Exposure", you'll enjoy this place. Don't order more than one pancake at this place though, they're about 14" across.

We can hash out a trip from there, but my suggestion would be to head east to Oakdale, then up 108/120 to O'Byrnes Ferry Rd through Copperopolis, east on 4 to Poole Station Rd which will take us up to San Andreas and from there take Hwy 49 to Jackson for lunch or keep going east on Hwy 88 a bit and double back on Hwy 26 to Hwy 49 south to Sonora or go exploring. There are hundreds of roads up there. I know a guy that claims to have ridden them all, but it took him 17 years of weekend riding.