Coast Hwy 1 over to Bakersfield!

tomsp

Through Nov., I'm traveling quite a bit with the AMA Pro SuperMoto Series (see my next post), and I know this topic has gotten way off base... however, if any of you folks end up down (or up) near San Luis Obispo (Just South of Morro Bay), be sure to look me up. I can lead you on a full day of unbelievable roads, and follow-up with some pretty good damn food to boot.

E-mail me direct: Todd@GuzziTech.com - or please post on the Topica list hosted at Topica, linked off of www.CenCA-Guzzi.com

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I'm confused :P

Can someone summarize what's going on??

Is there a ride this Sunday? If so, when, where, and the destination?? If the destination is Yosemite, I'll probably pass(don't even know if I can go anyway :rolleyes: ). But I know I can't be gone quite that long this weekend.

al

I'd say yes, there is a ride. Destination not neccessarily known, but definitely not Yosemite, that would be too long a day, especially for the Bay Area folks if any show. We meet at the Mangy Moose Cafe on Yosemite Blvd, Manteca (that's the Yosemite exit as well, which is probably why it sounds like the ride is to Yosemite National Park - which it's not, as that is a fair bit too long of a ride). From there, it's eastward to the Sierra foothills as described above. That's good for two hours riding time right there, so once we get up to the Jackson area and take a break, we can assess our time requirements and pick any one of several interesting routes to return by. I have some good maps, I just have to remember to bring them. Once back down in the valley, we can all disperse, or we can head for the Villa Toscana restaurant on Coffee Rd. in Modesto for a meal, and then go our separate ways. Al, if you want to borrow a bike, let me know - something can be worked out, it just wouldn't be as classy as your LeMans.

Guest Dave Pott

I think I'm going to join in too, IF you all don't mind my wife tagging along on her Bonneville. If not let me know, no big deal. I'll just go to plan "B" Whatever that means.

I'll probably be spending a couple of nights up in Gold country. Maybe in Murphys or ther abouts.

Dave

I may be able to make this as well if you all don't mind a non-sport tagging along. What time are people meeting at the Mangy Moose?

I'll probably freeze my @ss off riding over, but what the heck. I did some of the roads around Jackson and Placerville a month or so ago and they were great.

I have no problems with bikes other than sport models or Guzzi's. What's difficult is getting a conregation of like minded folks that aren't oriented towards too specific of goals, like dragging knees in every corner or out-chroming the other guys Harley etc. I'm certainly not planning to go exceptionally fast. I haven't ridden the Sport more than a block in 10 months and it may not be ready for Sunday. I'm rusty, I got a ticket two weeks ago and I'm just not interested in giving Murphy any more of my time. We'll just have a pleasant slightly spirited cruise up to the Gold Country and have a good time.

Mangy Moose - 07:30 to 08:30 A.M. and probably a bit after that. No hurry, this is for fun and pleasure. The Mangy Moose is literally a hole in the wall, we may find ourselves eating in shifts. At least the gal that runs the place is nice and is a bike rider too.

sounds like a bunch of folks may be coming- this is a good thing :P: Al, you'll only freeze for like one hour coming over (but then again I think with all the stuff on your bike you'll be warm enough! - from my house to Moto Italiano, over the Altimont takes one hour in moderate to light traffic - just for reference). I'd sure like to actually meet everyone too after having to read all your stuff these many months :bier:

Carl, were you talking about that villa toscona place for lunch -- that's a NICE place I hear. From there, like you said, people can head back "over the hill" or go back to Modesto or whatever-- good plan actually.

With the route you've outlined, this will definately be a great ride - no kidding.

Hey Mark! Haven't you invested in a heated vest yet? I still use mine, even on mild days because comfort is more important than image.

Okay, the V11 Sport is running, most things appear to be set up correctly. So... tomorrow, it gets a short test ride. I'm resisting the (very strong) temptation to do it tonight because if anything falls off, including me, it'll probably get lost in the dark. If it tests out and makes the 90 mile test loop late tomorrow, then that will be the mount for Sunday. The wiring for the vest has not been installed yet, so if we're all going to be cold, we'll all be cold together.

Otherwise, it's the California or (horror of horrors!) the V65C. Hey Al!!! Wanna ride an itty bitty bike? :lol: I've got one you can use, just hop in your car and come over to my house Sunday morning.

Somehow, I can't see that happening...

Hey Mark! Haven't you invested in a heated vest yet?

It's all about priorities. First it was shocks (I love the Wilbers), then it was a pair of Mistral muffs, and just recently a PC3. So you see, heated clothing took a backseat to performance. Better gear is next.

According to the weather forecast it should be a great day after the sun comes up. It's the riding between 6 and 7 AM that I'm worried about. I'll just add a layer or two.

The wife is off to see her Mom for the weekend, so I should be hitting the moose around 8.

Guest Dave Pott

Anyone know how long it may take from Murphys to Manteca?? I'm guessing about 1 hour..Someone please correct me if I'm wrong......want to make sure I get there in time for some of those Big-Ass pancakes :food:

oh man.. I'll see if they're somewhere in the attic w/ the blue leather platform shoes I had... which was pretty funny for a 6'2" 17yr old to be wearing...

I truly regret most of the photos I have from the '70's..... corduroy seemed like such a reasonable thing at the time.. we didn't need Recaro seats in the 70's.. you simply lined up your corduroy pants into the grooves of the corduroy upholstery in your AMC Pacer and you were good for multiple G's of cornering force !