Coast Hwy 1 over to Bakersfield!

tomsp

mapquest says 64 miles, 1hr 30 min... I'm sure you can do better !

I'm betting you can't.

Are you going to spend the night at Murphey's or are you expecting to eat breakfast AFTER the ride? The Many Moose is a morning only cafe. A late lunch or early/normal dinner at Villa Toscana's is the anticipated finish to the ride for those that wish to do so.

About the shortest interesting ride I can plan so far is on the order of 220 miles and nearly 6 hours. If you all have some preferences, let me know and I'll dive into my mapping software to try and come up with something acceptable.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dave Pott

Yeah, I'm staying Sat. & Sun. in Murphy and plan on leaving early enough to do breakfast at that Moose place and ride out with y'all.

Ofcourse the X-factor for getting up early enough is how much wine tasting I get into around Calavaras County saturday afternoon :drink:

Just kidding(mostly) I'll be "bright eye'd & bushy tailed" come sunday morning :sun:

carl-- davidb will be there too- he lives in san andreas and knows those backroads like nobody else.

Maybe I can twist his arm into leading. Especially since I took the V11 Sport for the first real test ride last night (10 months of rebuilding) and wound up pushing it a mile and a half. Don't ask...

carl my man :blush: now i have to ask :huh2: is it going to be alive for sunday! and yes, davidb will be glad to lead (dave, I'm not talking for you!) - he does know all those darn roads well. hey i'm fighting a cold coming on but i'll be there bright and early.

Rain is expected saturday morning but sunday should be ok

Guest davidb

I just scrolled back to the map. Maybe I will get some coffee (starbucks) in angels camp and ride in with Dave Potts. He has to drop that way from Murphys.

7:30 - 8:30 or so, we meet at:

Mangy Moose Cafe

506 E Yosemite Ave

Manteca, CA 95336-5807

Phone: (209) 239-1958

mangy_moose.gif

At a guess, you'll probably come all of the way down the hill on Hwy 4, so when you hit Hwy 99, head south to Manteca. When you see the Yosemite Ave/Hyw 120 exit, take that and go west about 1.6 miles. The Mangy Moose is on the south side of the street, and it's not very big. I better call them tomorrow to warn them we'll be coming. As well as serving the way over sized pancakes, they serve killer omelets and the cook is poetry in motion. He has to be, the kitchen is about 3 x 6 feet. The whole cafe is only about 8 x 40. Three tables in back, stools at the counter. It is literally, the Great American Hole In The Wall Mom and Pop kind of place. Sounds like an urban legend. I hope they haven't changed any since I was there last year.

Mea Culpa. I forgot to call the Mangy Moose before they closed this morning. If they're still there, that is. The phone rings, which is a good sign, but we'll be dropping in unannounced. At that time of morning though, it shouldn't be too bad. If the place is no longer around (I haven't heard otherwise, I'm just in worried mode), we'll meet at that address either in front or the parking lot in back and then cruise towards Oakdale. There's a good spot there right on the main drag going through town and of course there are always the generic fast food places. Or anything else that someone spots and feels an affinity for.

Well, the V11 Sport failed it second test run. First test run resulted in a blown fuse and a one mile push in the dark. This time it was a little better. The bike ran like a top and after 25 miles, it only had about a half a quart of oil all over it. Everywhere. So, that bike has excused itself for tomorrows ride because of bad behavior. I'll see you all on my California.

don't feel bad... mine blew the timing cover gasket today. Had to add 1 quart to limp it back home. First time I have rode the speed limit. I will ride the ol Beemer tommorow.