MY15M

Baldini

There is one in Germany that is running. I'll ask him to add something to this thread. Its running closed loop with a cheap sensor at the moment with good results.

HelicoptorJim has just received his and will be trying it out as soon as he can. This will be the first head to head with a power commander so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Not sure if Carl has any bike operational at the moment. Al if you're not far from Carl, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you try it on yours.

Dyno is optional. The starting point is my sport map which works surprisely well. Usually only a matter of days before they're better than the stock just with a few manual map edits. I reckon adding a gas sensor and going closed loop is the way to go.

There have been a few users who are not techically strong. They might stumble for the first couple of starting attempts but so far have been pleased with the results after an initial few days of experimentation.

I was going to try the MY15M next after getting the V11 Sport running, but I ran into some difficulties with oil blowing all over me. To the tune of about 2 quarts at 80 mph! Dang breather hose was torn nearly 3/4 of the way around at the top. What a miserable piece of work to get at. Maybe this coming Monday when I get off of the weekend shift. Get the bike running, then experiment. Then swear. Then fix the bike. Then try it again. More swearing...

Uh... Guys. Don't forget to change your fork oil regularly. 40,000 miles = $450 fork tube re-chroming + a huge dealer charge for seals and labor. About half the list cost of a new set of forks. The Sport 1100i always seems to have issues, poor thing.

Admittedly, I'm new to the world of Guzzi, and to EFI motorcycles, but why is this industry so many lightyears behind the automotive industry in terms of closed-loop control? Is the relatively small size of the motorcycle engine the issue? Certainly it's not the lazy state of tune of motorcycle engines! The issues of performance and economy seem to beg for a closed-loop system, so why is it that even the BIG Japanese makers are not there yet? Surely Honda, at least, could readily import the technology across the street from the cage division!

It seems that even the aftermarket motorcycle EFI industry is simply a matter of providing a platform for messing with the A/F map of an open loop system, and perhaps the spark. A basic piggy-back box might quite easily close the loop, and even add multi-sensor parameter tracking for the enthusiast.

What's up in this industry?

Can someone explain what is closed loop/open loop? (for the not technically strong...)

...& a gas sensor? (bolts into blanked hole in down pipes to measure CO2 in exhaust gasses...???)

Thanks,

Baldini the muppet :wacko: .

Hello

I am the one in Germany that has a My15M kit assembled and running it under everyday conditions (commuting 70km oneway). So far it was fun under all aspects.

I ordered a complete kit with Optimizer and backlit-panel. The kit arrived after just some days, no customs problems or anything like this. Assembly was straight forward, though I had to look at the instructions quite seriously. There are ofcourse no soldering instructions or pictures of how the parts should look.

After some delay while I was trying to get a 15M for the connector at a reasonable price I could finally go on the bike and give things a try. I had to use the map of Cliff's Sport 1100 what worked fine. The only problem was a fault in the wiring diagramm of the V11. Guzzi changed the wiring of the TPS, but not the diagramm. Compare the one from 2000 with that of the new ones with Lambda-probe.

On the road there was no remarkable difference! This was surprising, I thought I should notice something more spectacular, the more as before I had an optimized eprom (what btw. had struck the Guzzi down once) and now it was running with a stock map from a different bike. (I know people who say finetuning the TPS and a carefully done synchronisation give a similar effect with the stock ECU)

The next step was the installation of a well used narrow-band O2 sensor, purchased at my local wrecker. This brought the My15M to life. Running it closed loop showed up that the engine was running somehow way too rich. This was true, because the autotune capability of my15m gave a map that was leaner, but without negatively affecting the driveability. It lost some punch, true, but that's only natural when you have lambda=1 as target for the entire map. On the other hand the fuel consumption went down from 6.5 to 5.7 litres/100km as we calculate it here.

Important for you may be that the whole affair of adjusting the map could be done in only some days. I was not on the highway and did not do any special tuning rides, just sat down and rode off.

What I will try next is a true wideband sensor. I hope this will give more accuarate results. Also it will enable me to find a fuel map with 0.8 as lambda target. With the help of excel and a lambda=1 map I will then be able to figure out a map that has 0.8 for full load and 1 or even 1.2 for other cells, thus improving further power output and economy.

Let me mention, that running with leaner maps it makes a huge difference what spark-advance I have. Runnig leaner the engine needs definitively more and this does affect the driveability. That's my experience.

What is weaker than before is the coldstart, but this may not be so much a problem for you, because coldstart for me meant cranking at -2°C. It always did start anyway, but I always needed 3 or 4 attempts.

Give it a try, I have a lot of fun with it!

Hubert

Brian G-I believe cost may be the factor to which most manufacturers determine whether a "closed loop" EFI system be utilized. At this point only a few can boast and they are BMW and the new MZ-1000, both German marques. When all engines are "liquid cooled" you will see more "closeed loop" monitoring appear on bikes(2006).

I'm afraid that there is not much we can expect from closed loop (for series-bikes)! Besides, what about all those bikes with o2-sensor and catalysator (every? new Guzzi).

Closed loop straight from the OEMs is important only under environmental aspects, means if you have to go at lambda=1. But if you want to get the most out of your engine there is no need of an catalysator, so why closed-loop from the factory, and for a high performance sports bike?

I do not think that BMW and MZ have variable O2 or AFR targets stored in their ecus. If so they are just cheating the governmental offices responsible for the traffic.

Hubert

What I will try next is a true wideband sensor. I hope this will give more accuarate results. Also it will enable me to find a fuel map with 0.8 as lambda target. With the help of excel and a lambda=1 map I will then be able to figure out a map that has 0.8 for full load and 1 or even 1.2 for other cells, thus improving further power output and economy.

37888[/snapback]

voltage_vs_afr.gifvoltage_vs_lambda.jpg

Hi,

Here are a couple of response curves for normal, cheap narrowband lambda sensors. According to my experience (My16M in a Sport 1100i), it is quite possible to use even these cheap sensors for closed-loop and target for lambda 0.80-0.85 values (slightly rich, maximum power). I use lambda target voltage around 0.8 Volts in my bike.

I would think, that you would not like to drive with lambda values > 1 in any circumstances even to improve the economy, because these engines do not run properly with that lean mixture. You will get hesitation, misses and all sort of "not nice" behaviour.

Keep it rich enough and you will get a very nice and smooth power delivery. BTW, my bike uses around 5.5 liters/100 km.

Some stuff about building a My16M ECU per Cliffs instruction can be found from :

http://www.kolumbus.fi/koivupiha/ecu.htm

br, JuhaV

Cliff,

I'm not too knowledgeable about such things but I was surprised to see the sensor in your picture mounted on one of the headers instead of the on the collector. Wouldn't it be better to have the sensor where it would "see" both cylinders? Is there another factor (exhaust temp?) that makes it better to be closer to the head? Pardon me if this is a dumb question or you have answered it before. Thanks for all your work on this.

Lex