Helmets

Guest philbo

My wife has been bugging me about what I want for Christmas so I asked for a new helmet - there's nothing wrong with the Shoei that I have but I figure why not go for broke and get an Arai. I didn’t realize that they were quite *that* expensive but seeing as she hates the fact that I ride anyhow, she said yes.

The question is – are they worth the money? The old Bell slogan used to be “If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet” I guess my head is worth $900 (to me, anyhow) but it seems to be a fairly large quantum leap between good quality and Arai – enough to pay for a new PCIII in fact.

Does anyone wear an Arai and is it worth the extra money?

Cheers

Phil

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Phil, I guess I've had a dozen different kinds of helmets over the past 40 years. My Arai Quantum is without question my favorite, and well worth the price. It's fairly light, fits perfectly, replacement shields & parts are readily available, has switchable venting that actually WORKS, and it's the lowest noise helmet I've ever used.

As you pointed out - What's your noggin worth? I'd recommend, "Go Fer It" :thumbsup:

Guest rrbasso

I know its a lot of $, but it is worth it ! I am on my seckond one in the last 10 years and it hurts when you open your pocket book but after that you will be happy ! and God for bid if you hit the ground , take it from me I have hit, you will be even happer. Also they are sooo comfortable on long and short rides its amazing. Remember to get the right size you want it Snug even on the tight side it will loosen in time but you dont want the wind at high speeds to pull it up.

Tony :bier:

PS I love the Arai Quantum :helmet:

I've gone on about this in the past so I will give you the abridged version.

Worth? That is up to you and your pocket book.

Good Idea? That is the harder question. I have a Shoei head, I've owned one Arai and tried on many. They just don't fit me. Yes, this includes the "Shoei like" Arais. Other people have the same response to Shoeis. What ever it cost it is not a good deal if it is uncomfortable. Try (for several minutes) before you buy any helmet. Any helmet you give away a few weeks after you buy it is a bad deal.

Lex

Guest rrbasso

I have the standard Arai Quantum in black, and I have the GT in black also the GT looks cool but the Quantum is by fair the best. :bier:

The MOST important consideration when choosing a helmet is the correct fit and size and not the brand.

If your old Shoei fits you well that would indicate your head shape is more round one ("Shoei head shape") as opposed to elongated shape ("an Arai head shape").

If this is the case then choosing an Arai helmet might be a mistake for you since it will never fit your head shape perfectly. That is why a prudent helmet shopper will try it on first and keep it on for 1/2 hr at least.

People are mesmerized with colors, brand name and features/price instead of proper fit. The best helmet in the world will be terrible for you if not fitting correctly.

I've tried a lot of helmets also and agree that fit is most important. My current helmet is a german version (called the Bandit) of the Simpson Outlaw...

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/product...78&prod_id=2475

For my wife, we tried at least 30 different models/makes and ended up with the Aria for $750. Though she hated the price at the time, now she swears it was worth it.

My wife has been bugging me about what I want for Christmas so I asked for a new helmet - there's nothing wrong with the Shoei that I have but I figure why not go for broke and get an Arai. I didn’t realize that they were quite *that* expensive but seeing as she hates the fact that I ride anyhow, she said yes.

The question is – are they worth the money? The old Bell slogan used to be “If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet” I guess my head is worth $900 (to me, anyhow) but it seems to be a fairly large quantum leap between good quality and Arai – enough to pay for a new PCIII in fact.

Does anyone wear an Arai and is it worth the extra money?

Cheers

Phil

38507[/snapback]

Hi Phil,

Just my two cents: Yup, I love it. But as, i.e. Janusz states, it's all up to to you in the end. Does the helmet fit? Is there enough room for your glasses? (don't forget to check it!!!) and so on.

Good luck!

Søren

parkers.jpg

*edit - I guess I should have read the responses above fully before my reply below, but yes, there seems to be a consensus around "fit first, fashion.... well, dead last" :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The major brands, Shoei, Arai, Bell, even "off brands" like HJC and Beiffe(sp?) are all about equal as far as safety offered according to various sources. In fact, many folks have been very impressed with the HJC models, especially considering the price.

What you really begin to pay a premium for are features and fashion... just like everything else in life :rolleyes:

But the primary and most important issue, once you identify your budget, is to find what helmet fits you best. You won't want to wear a helmet that is ill fitting, and worse yet, an ill fitting helmet can come off at the least, and cause additional injury at the worst.

Although people argue that there are "Shoei heads" and "Arai heads", both brands have models that seem to fit different physiologies equally well for some people. But I would agree that "generally" more round-headed folks(like myself) seem to prefer Shoei helmets, and longer narrower heads seem well suited for Arai models.

So, the advice I've always heard, and followed, is to go down one's local MC "superstore" and *blind* yourself to brand preference... and try them all on.

When you find the one that fits best, wear it around the shop for at least 30min... no matter how goofy you think you look. If it still feels right afterwards, doesn't create discomfort(such as "hot spots"), etc.... then it's a good choice. Try to narrow it down to a couple that seem to fit best, and then do more trying on.

And BTW, "fitting best" means quite tight, almost too tight.... you should have "chipmunk cheeks" and be unable to twist the helmet on a new one if it fits properly. Otherwise, if you buy a new helmet that seems to initially fit "just right", you are almost guaranteed to end up with a helmet full of "slop" after it breaks in and the pads get all loose, which is quite dangerous.

That being said, the Aria Quantum series, and the Shoei RF series are top-rated helmets, but both are a premium... the Arai more so.

The Shoei RF series has typically been rated as one of the most quiet helmets out there and seems to accomodate glasses reasonably well(I wear sunglasses under my shield) although it's venting could be a bit better as compared to the Arai.

But yeah, more vents and more graphics = more $$ :D

Good luck, helmet shopping is fun!

al

I've been an Arai helmet fan for at least 15 years now...not a Quantum, but a Signet. Arai has different fitting helmets for different heads. I can't stand the fit of a Quantum, makes me feel like my heads in a vice. Try on some helmets, make sure the size is correct before you buy one, especially if you order one up. I had to wait for 6 weeks to get my latest one, because they make them in batches and it was back ordered. For some reason most shops stock a lot of Quantums...check out the fit of some of the other Arai's. The fit v. snug but I really like the quality, performance (wind noise, ventilation systems, ease of visor change and the style.

:cheese:

:ninja:

:xmas:

I like Arais too but the Shoei is every bit as good (and as expensive). I have a Shoei X-11 which is incredibly light and has fantastic airflow. It's the only helmet I've ever had that actually cool my head down and that's important here in Australia. But like so many have pointed out here, do you have a Shoei head or an Arai head?

As to whether the expense is worth it, of course it is! The same reason you wear leathers, gloves boots is the same reason you need the best helmet. It's not IF you need them, it's WHEN you need them i.e. If you fall off, that's when! :)

Arai helmets could be free and I still couldn't wear one. Why? They don't fit my melon head.

For me, an HJC flip-front helmet fits great, so that's what I wear.

I'm part of the chorus that says fit is more important than cost.

Jason

Both SHoei and Arai are great helmets! I have had both! but I agree with a comment made about which one fits you the Best! I rode the Shoei for years than tried on an Arai and man what a difference! because of that elongated design made for a much more comfortable ride for my big noggin!! everyone is different! make sure you try them on!!!!!!!!!! :helmet: Brian anyone else from New Jersey?????

Guest vkerrigan

I would second droydx' recommendation for the Arai Signet. Once you get the right fit, they're hard to beat....................vk

P.S. Add a Fog City insert and you'll be good to go for anything.