ECU

BrianG

So, here is my preliminary report on the TuneBoy Tune Edit program:

Right now, the TuneBoy Diagnostic is not ready, but Wayne and Emma sent me the cable and the Tune Edit.

Getting it set up went almost as smoothly as my PCIII.

Both the PCIII and Tune Edit took a while to figure out how to get it to address the proper port.

The PCIII has automatic com port detection, so it can be easier.

The problem that I discovered is that my Com port labeled Com 1 is actually Com 2! Good Grief (Stupid Clone PC!!!).

Any way, once I got past that stumbling block, I had to get the Key from Wayne.

I hope that when Dealers sell the keys they don't have to wait for Wayne to respond by email.

You have to be able to connect your bike to your computer, and your computer to the internet in order to authenticate the key the first time.

This was not too bad for me, since I have a 15 meter ethernet cable, that I ran out my window and to the garage. But you folks in apartment complexes, may need to go to desperate measures to authenticate.

Of course, while troubleshooting, I drop the firewall on my virgin pc and it immediately gets hit with spyware and hit by some benign Messenger Service Spam. Easy to clean, but damn, I wish this software was written for Macintosh or Linux....although I guess it is fine, since my PCIII software also only runs on windows.

I do have the Tune Edit software running on Virtual PC, but I don't have a Keyspan serial USB adapter to test it with.

A USB cable would be a plus.

I discovered, with Wayne's help, that my ISP blocks port 80, presumably to keep me from running a web site from my home desktop computer.

So, Wayne had to send me a different version of the program to authenticate the key through a different port.

Once authenticated the software is Awesome!

It has 3D graphing capabilities like what Derek has posted at MotoLab.

The available tables are the base fuel map, the offset map(this is the prefered map for tweaking)(EDIT actually I don't think it is, as I suspect it may be for individual cylinders), the ignition map(Yah baby!), a start enrich map???, an accell enrich map??, idle ignition???, air temperature trim, engine temperature trim, and barometric trim.

The documentation could be improved as I only have the Aprillia documentation.

I still have to figure out the above features suffixed with question marks, how to merge the offset map with the base map, and how to Apply the PCIII map.

Also, the sofware shows RPM, TP, injector pulse width, ignition adv, and O2 voltage.

I think you need to be in Power Commander Emulation Tuning Link Emulation Mode, for the O2 voltage to show.

Edit, I'll have to double check when the O2 voltage shows...

As for the MY15 that Carl loaned me, I guess I need some cables that I cannot afford, so I may be sending it back to Carl.

Or perhaps Carl has them packed up somewhere????

More to follow! But not for a while...

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it odd that the factory map would have an offset.

62504[/snapback]

I noticed that there don't seem to be separate left and right fuel tables. Is it possible that "offset" is to correct left/right stagger problems? I'm wondering if this might be the case because in Tunedit for Triumph and Aprilia, the preferred table for tweaking fuel is called a "trim" table and then there is a function under "tools" called "commit trims to main tables" (except when in realtime mode).

Regards,

Derek

banner_motolab_general.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I am happy to announce that I am now able to tune MM-IAW15M ECUs via Direct-Link and have keys for Moto Guzzis in stock at $150.00 each.
I am now also able to tune the Guzzi MM-IAW15M ECUs via TuneBoy TuneEdit. The price for the keys is the same, with the difference being that TechnoResearch uses a hardware key vs. TuneBoy's software key.

Regards,

Derek

Cool! I hope Wayne set something up with you so that you do not have to wait for him to issue a key to an ECU.

A few days ago, I sent Wayne a list of questions, but have not yet heard from him.

Perhaps you, Derek, have some idea about some of these questions.

I forgot to ask if the Offset was for right or left cylinder trim offset.

But I asked the following:

1) The “Apply PowerCommander trim maps over the standard tune” does not seem to do anything. Does it work yet in the Guzzi Tune Edit?

2) The “Commit Trims to Main Tables.” does not seem to do anything. Does it work yet in the Guzzi Tune Edit? (and less importantly, Why does my standard tune have data in the Trim Table? I expected it to be all zeros....or is the Trim table a left cylinder vs. right cylinder thing?)

3) Will my Tune Edit work on another computer, or will we have to go through the key process again?

4) What are start enrich and accel enrich? Is the accel or start enrich table for full load or light load or something else??? Or is one of them kind of like a throttle pump emulator???

5) Any idea when the Tune Boy Diagnostic for Guzzi will be ready?

6) Any tunes available?

I think I'll give the V1102 map a shot. I assume that is for your bike

(note The v1102 map is very different than my map. I don't know if that is the map that Wayne created or what, but I gave it a shot and it was way to lean down low, but it may have had more kick in the higher rpms.)

I hope Wayne set something up with you so that you do not have to wait for him to issue a key to an ECU.
No, I have to wait like everyone else.
A few days ago, I sent Wayne a list of questions, but have not yet heard from him.
Unfortunately this has been fairly typical as of late.
I forgot to ask if the Offset was for right or left cylinder trim offset.
I suspect that the left would be the master.
1)    The “Apply PowerCommander trim maps over the standard tune” does not seem to do anything. Does it work yet in the Guzzi Tune Edit?
Wayne told me that I would have to select "read map from ECU" and send him the file to be converted to a map file before I could proceed. Maybe it will work afterward.
2)  The “Commit Trims to Main Tables.” does not seem to do anything. Does it work yet in the Guzzi Tune Edit? (and less importantly, Why does my standard tune have data in the Trim Table? I expected it to be all zeros....or is the Trim table a left cylinder vs. right cylinder thing?)
I suspect that the "commit trims" function will not work until you are working with the file he sends back after the aforementioned procedure.
3)    Will my Tune Edit work on another computer, or will we have to go through the key process again?
The ECU key is just text, so you should be able to copy it over.
4)    What are start enrich and accel enrich? Is the accel or start enrich table for full load or light load or something else??? Or is one of them kind of like a throttle pump emulator???
Good questions! I'd like to know the answers myself. On a PC with pump emulation, you can assign how much fuel is added for a given rate of throttle opening.
6)  Any tunes available?
Not as far as I know.
I think I'll give the V1102 map a shot.
Given what Wayne told me about sending the file in first, I don't think I would.
I assume that is for your bike
It's not for mine.

Regards,

Derek

Wayne told me that I would have to select "read map from ECU" and send him the file to be converted to a map file before I could proceed. Maybe it will work afterward.I suspect that the "commit trims" function will not work until you are working with the file he sends back after the aforementioned procedure.

65651[/snapback]

I have been working with the file he sent back, so that is not the problem.

But otherwise thanks for the helpful replies!

I am sure you will learn more when you get your first goose in for Tuneboy dyno tuning!

And I hope Wayne will enlighten us soon.

For now I did a crude manual transfer of PCIII values, and it runs much better than stock....Mostly because it is enrichening.

And I retarded the timing where it was pinging, and the pinging is GONE!

I have been working with the file he sent back, so that is not the problem.
I apologize for having assumed you weren’t.
But otherwise thanks for the helpful replies!
You're welcome. I'm sure you already thought of this, but in lieu of the non-functioning "commit trims", you could keep a backup copy of your original map to revert to/look at if you loose track of how you changed the values. By the way, I got my last key from Emma in less than 24 hrs.

Regards,

Derek

No need to apologize.

In written language it is easy to present a false mood.

Thank God, I mean Jaap, for the emoticons :D

And it is certainly better that you cover the technically more obvious rather than potentially leave me ignorant.

I recall the first time I asked my mechanic how to measure the engine oil level.

I felt like he was taking to me like I was stupid(well sometimes he is right, like when I set the spark plugs to .070" rather than 0.70mm)

But it is better that he did the full explanation, just incase....

If I don't hear from Wayne soon, I'll get Emma to give him a nudge.

He seems to be the genius and she the one who keeps the Universe in order.

If I don't hear from Wayne soon, I'll get Emma to give him a nudge.

He seems to be the genius and she the one who keeps the Universe in order.

65932[/snapback]

I don't think this TuneEdit is his fulltime job. On the other hand the Aprilia and Triumph guys hardly talk about something different but TuneBoy, so either his support is not really too bad or the product is really very good.

Some days ago I ordered a cable for me and my TI-ecu, 3 days later I received an eMail that it's on it's way to me. I hope it will arrive early next week.

Hubert