• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is some relevant updated info:

Regarding the Direct-Link:

It appears to lack some of the features in the diagnostic tool...

PRODUCT FEATURES & BENEFITS

• Reflash multiple maps via serial programming.

• Modify fuel front & rear cylinder table, spark front

& rear cylinder table, etc.

• Modify Rev-limiter (RPM).

• Fuel front & rear cylinder, spark front & rear

cylinder, etc.

• External Wide-Band Oxygen sensor (Add On).

• View data using strip chart or gauge/meter format

• Data logger feature: automatic or manual modes.

Logs data on basis of user-defined engine

parameters.

• Alternate data capture positions: start/middle/end.

• Available in 5 languages.

• Personal Vehicle Identification Hardware-Key

(PVIHK) - By plugging this device into your computer,

pertinent information about the vehicle is

available to you. View owner's name, vehicle

identification number, calibration ID.

Dear Mr. Laing,

Thank you for your request for product information.  I have attached two pdf files containing product specifications and pricing.  In answer to your questions, the key locks to the ECU of the bike thus requiring a Direct Link kit per bike. The price for this is $379.00 but you have the option to buy additional keys (one per bike) at $279.00 per key.  If you have further questions feel free to call our office 248-658-1800.

Laura Scaccia

Sales & Marketing Manager

TechnoResearch, Inc.

lscaccia@technoresearch.com

248-658-1800

Regarding TuneBoy:

They still have not posted info about the Guzzi product, but I wrote them and they responded:

Hi David,

The TuneEdit software is completed for the guzzi's but we're still finishing the TuneBoy diagnostic software.  It is available for sale if you are still interested?

Kind regards,

Emma Macdonald

Sales and Administration

http://www.tuneboy.com.au

I don't know if they will reduce the price until the diagnostic is ready. Regardless, it is cheaper the the the direct-link.

Im am happy to announce that I am now able to tune MM-IAW15M ECUs via Direct-Link and have keys for Moto Guzzis in stock at $150.00 each.

Regards,

Derek

60341[/snapback]

Cool! Perhaps once I get my mods set, I'll set up an appointment with you.

Does the ability to take advantage of the Direct-Link help reduce tuning time, and thus the price? EDIT disregard that question...I was mistaking Direct-Link for for Tuneboy's ability to use Tuning-Link, that automates the process for faster tunes.

On a related note, I shelled out for the TuneBoy.

Emma Macdonald of TuneBoy wrote me today,

Hi again,

Your cable will be leaving today.  We have enclosed an Aprilia software CD to get you started.  Wayne will email you a link to the Guzzi software/tunes in the next few days.

Talk to you when you get your cable!

Emma

YeeHOOOOO!

And to top it all off, Carl Allison just sent me his MY15M.

So, I should be able to do a write up of both....but don't hold your breath, as it will take me a while to figure Cliff's unit out.

Carl says some things still need to be done before it can be plug and play.

Cliff, I'll be contacting you.

Thanks Carl, Cliff, Wayne and Emma!

Oh, and thanks to all that contributed to this thread, especially Derek.

Im am happy to announce that I am now able to tune MM-IAW15M ECUs via Direct-Link and have keys for Moto Guzzis in stock at $150.00 each.

Regards,

Derek

banner_motolab_general.gif

60341[/snapback]

Good news, but question:

How does one optimally tune the bike without a gas-analyzer and/or dyno?

al

Good news, but question:

How does one optimally tune the bike without a gas-analyzer and/or dyno? 

al

60357[/snapback]

The answer lies somewhere back through 25 pages of posts :P

I presume that Derek sells the uploaded tune for $150 and then charges several hundred dollars for gas-analysis and mapping on a dyno.

If you buy the TuneBoy, or the Direct Link you can tweak your map yourself.

With Tuneboy you can also load PCIII maps.

And then if you go to Derek to refine the map, he won't have to charge the $150 or whatever he charges for tuneboy, as you would already have paid for it when you purchased the tuneboy or direct-link.

Seeing as you have the twin-plugs, you could really benefit from the ability to map the timing.

Anyone with pinging problems or high compression pistons could also benefit.

The My15M, TuneBoy and TechnoResearch Direct-Link all can re-map the timing.

The TuneBoy adds the ability to import PCIII maps and is the least expensive.

But the My15M has other things going for it, that I hope to discover, like closed loop tuning with an O2 sensor.

The Direct Link is made by people with what I suspect are close ties to Marelli.

So, all have advantages.

I hope to have a review ready before January....

It really depends on what you are tuning for.

A lot of the people who buy my unit are not looking for the maximum numbers that only a dyno session will give them.

They are looking to fix specific problems they are having. I don't think I need list what these problems are but they are the sorts of things a bit of manually editting of the map and experimentation can quickly fix.

Another big plus that is underrated is the diagnostic capability. Just this last week, Bill Doll found out the flat spot he was having just off full throttle was actually a failing TPS.

I've got a gut feeling that the lean spot in my mid-range won't go away even if I go to a tuning center for a custom map in my PCIII-usb. The MY15M looks like an attractive alternative.

60481[/snapback]

Theoretically, and most likely, getting a tuning link custom map, will remove the lean spot.

What it cannot remove is too much ignition advance. (or too little)

Even if you pay for the map and it still acts like it running too lean and you have to get something to modify the timing, the map will still be of value, as you can roughly copy the enhancements to the My15M or if you go with tuneboy, they have a utility for importing the PCIII map....so your investment on the dyno will not be completely lost.

(was that a run on sentence :huh2: )

Yes, you will get a better map if you dyno after modifying the timing. However, whether you dyno map before or after, either way you will get great improvement.

But the money starts to add up....PCIII US$332, dyno tune ~US$200-500,

and then if it is still not right, My15M AU$700, or TuneBoy, US$310(free shipping)

Or your problem could be something else like the TPS is wrong, or you have a bad sensor, or whatever...

Theoretically, and most likely, getting a tuning link custom map, will remove the lean spot.

What it cannot remove is too much ignition advance. (or too little)

Even if you pay for the map and it still acts like it running too lean and you have to get something to modify the timing, the map will still be of value, as you can roughly copy the enhancements to the My15M or if you go with tuneboy, they have a utility for importing the PCIII map....so your investment on the dyno will not be completely lost.

(was that a run on sentence :huh2: )

Yes, you will get a better map if you dyno after modifying the timing. However, whether you dyno map before or after, either way you will get great improvement.

But the money starts to add up....PCIII US$332, dyno tune ~US$200-500,

and then if it is still not right, My15M AU$700, or TuneBoy, US$310(free shipping)

Or your problem could be something else like the TPS is wrong, or you have a bad sensor, or whatever...

60579[/snapback]

Dave, please let me know where the "whatever" is located as that is the only part I haven't changed in the process of working on my Sport 1100i. :lol:

Dave, please let me know where the "whatever" is located as that is the only part I haven't changed in the process of working on my Sport 1100i.  :lol:

60608[/snapback]

It is a propiertary secret that I am holding for my soon to be published book, "V11 ECU for Dummies". :lol:

I've got a gut feeling that the lean spot in my mid-range won't go away even if I go to a tuning center for a custom map in my PCIII-usb. The MY15M looks like an attractive alternative.

60481[/snapback]

My dyno session with the PC III revealed a lean section in the 3500- 5000 RPM range. We were able to tune it out with about 6 runs, although we didn't get a perfectly flat A/F curve. We did manage to put it into the 12:1 - 14:1 range throughout the whole RPM range, tending toward the 12:1 area at the upper end.

This did require the dyno and A/F measuring instrument, however. :luigi:

I changed the TPS to the Harley style unit which helped a little in the low RPM range. Okay, maybe I can still get this puppie to run right with the PCIII. I'll look into booking an appointment for a dyno session. The shop I have in mind is an authorized DynoJet tuning center.

This did require the dyno and A/F measuring instrument, however.

60635[/snapback]

Your dyno people have fuel and air flow meters? I suppose these are connected to a data logger and a computer calculates the A/F ratio as you go?

Regards,

Derek

I presume that Derek sells the uploaded tune for $150 and then charges several hundred dollars for gas-analysis and mapping on a dyno.

60369[/snapback]

I charge $150 for a TechnoResearch hardware key (which I stock), and $17 to load a pre-existing map. The tuning cost depends on how many throttle positions are tuned, whether the left and right are tuned individually, whether I tune the spark advance, whether I tune to best HP or to a CO target, and to what resolution I tune/how many iterations I am allowed.

Regards,

Derek