Read a good book lately?

Guest Bruce

I heartily recommend The Perfect Vehicle. It's one of the best-written books I've ever read, and her weaving of personal experiences in with history is a great way to bring that history to life, IMHO.

40198[/snapback]

Umm... It was o.k., but certainly not one of the best-written books of the age. She's a good writer, even an excellent one, don't get me wrong: it's just the narrative is less about the motorcycle than about her own self-discovery. Basically, it has only the most tenuous relation to motorcycles at all, since it's really about her feelings.

As a movie, it's a chick-flik on Lifetime, Oxygen, or WE networks... So, nothing *wrong* with it, per se, it's just vastly less interesting than it is made out to be by various (female) reviewers...

But then, I never finished ZAMM, either, finding it too boring & not much about Zen or motorcycle maintenance either...

:)

My taste runs more to the last few Neal Stephenson books [altho' I'm wondering if he's figured out how to write an ending yet! I'll know as soon as I finish _System of the World_...] ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad

But then, I never finished ZAMM, either, finding it too boring & not much about Zen or motorcycle maintenance either...

:)

48890[/snapback]

Wow, I tried to read ZAMM too, and got about 3/4 the way through before tiring of it and realising the rest of life was much too interesting to waste grinding through the rest of that book. I just never dared to say I thought it was way over-rated, but now I can!

Zen and Art of Motrorcycle Maintenance: WAY OVER-RATED!

Finished "Ghost Rider" by Rush drummer/songwriter Neil Peart a few weeks ago. Bloody brilliant. .

48842[/snapback]

Good to hear - I'll try that one next.

Just finished "The Long Way Around" - very disappointing. Interesting read and their experiences but waaaayyyy too touchy feely for me. But then, what can you expect from a couple of artsy fartsy actors.

Finished "The Perfect Vehicle" last month - very disappointing. Certainly not worth the hype. Typical of works written by proofreaders vs. writers. Too many convoluted words, phrases and sentences when easier language was called for. I'm an educated guy with a decent vocabulary, who reads quite a bit. Far too many words I had to go look up. Difficult read. Decent story.

Rj

waaaayyyy too touchy feely...  But then, what can you expect from a couple of artsy fartsy actors.

48902[/snapback]

Grrrr...Mr. Bad

So you think that riding motorbikes should only be done (and can only be appreciated by) Ogri, Conan the Barbarian and Benny from Crossroads?

and you ride an ITALIAN motorbike!

Grrrr...Mr. Bad

So you think that riding motorbikes should only be done (and can only be appreciated by) Ogri, Conan the Barbarian and Benny from Crossroads?

48918[/snapback]

And of course the lads from the Joe Bar race team :bike:

Grrrr...Mr. Bad

48918[/snapback]

Yes.

Rj

I just don't want to read so much about their feelings and how one has to have his little hissy fit just because he wants his opinion listened to, and how the other one is aware of his needs because they have known each other for so long....

Just way too much fluff. If I wanted to read that crap I'd be reading Harlequin.

What does an ITALIAN bike have to do with it???

What does an ITALIAN bike have to do with it???

49072[/snapback]

'Cos, being Italian, they're made by ARTISTS

– just don't ask what sort of artists

Ah - so that's why the quality control is so crappy... Maybe they should hire a couple of mechanics.

Nothing against artists, heck, I've been known to produce the occasional piece of art myself. I just don't care to read about their feelings and how good that bath felt when they got home.

This forum is full of motorcyclists writing all kinds of motorcycle stories - I don't remember any that emphasized how the writer was feeling on their most intimate level.

You've hurt me deeply Belfast. I think I'll go home and have myself a good little cry... and maybe a long hot bubble bath.

Rj

So you don't like 'pretty'.

Wait till you see this film :o

I'm writing the book now.

I am getting plenty of time for reading at the moment- halfway through Joey Dunlop's biography by Mac McDiarmid which is a good well informed read- really opens your eyes to what Joey achieved both on the IOM, in World Championships and in Irish road racing. Raises a few smiles when you read what he used to get up to in the early 70s when he was skint.

Can also recommend Motorcycle Journeys In The Alps and Corsica by John Hermann- not exactly bedtime reading but a great book if you are planning to bag any mountain passes on your European tour, with some nice pics too.

Have also got lined up Essential Bushcraft by Ray Mears and Great American Motorcycle Tours by Gary McKechnie- I'll let you know if they are worth it.

Guy :helmet:

It's ok, but not great. The book kind of rambles at times (like me), and the protagonist comes across as a stuffed shirt prick (like...no, not me). I did enjoy the all the conspiricy theorems and background on some of the art. I don't know if any of it is validated, but it was interesting. Overall, an easy book to read- buy it used and it's worth the cost.

I just finished 'The Return of the Dancing Master', an excellent mystery novel by Swedish writer Henning Mankel. Next up is 'Revenge' by Stephen Fry. I've been into European writers lately.

The DaVinci Code is pretty flat,

you don't related to any of the characters as they are pretty

superficialy described.

The conspiracy theories on the other hand is part fascinating

and part a joke.

That the bible is edited for political reason by emperor Constantinus

and a bunch of bishops is probably true, and that women is played down

as a part of biblical history likewise.

But the "Priory of Sion" is a hoax/joke dreamed up by mr Plantard

with the help of some surrealistic artists and writers. They planted

"historical evidences" in 1956 and waited for someone to find it and

do a spin of it.

Guest burke
I am getting plenty of time for reading at the moment- halfway through Joey Dunlop's biography by Mac MacDiarmid which is a good well informed read- really opens your eyes to what Joey achieved both on the IOM, in World Championships and in Irish road racing. Raises a few smiles when you read what he used to get up to in the early 70s when he was skint.

Can also recommend Motorcycle Journeys In The Alps and Corsica by John Hermann- not exactly bedtime reading but a great book if you are planning to bag any mountain passes on your European tour, with some nice pics too.

Have also got lined up Essential Bushcraft by Ray Mears and Great American Motorcycle Tours by Gary McKechnie- I'll let you know if they are worth it.

Guy  :helmet:

49080[/snapback]

Where can I find a copy and what is the exact title of Joey Dunlops biography? I would love to read more about the man. I just recently (5 years ago) got interested in the isle of mann TT and they are always talking about Joey. I have heard of him of course but I don't know much about him. Like, for instance, how did he die? Its one of those things that everyone talks about assuming you already know but if your not paying attention you feel stupid.