Lower shock mount breakage??????

Dirtybill

Guest Brian Robson
Mine was, still got another 6 months  :)

42217[/snapback]

I only asked as lately the claims I've made have been rejected because of the mileage, not time duration.

Pipes get 40 thou, bevel box seals get 20 thou...as long as you don't put on over 20-30,000 Km in the two years you should be OK

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V11s Naked

registered as a 2003

black engine, without front exhaust crossover

Chassis ZGUKS 00002M112251

No number on shock

In warranty until May dealer is waiting a response from HQ but doesn't think there will be a problem will know tomorrow

Chap seemed to think that they would be in this week - Probably dealer speak for they've arrived but we've not fitted them.  :D or the law of Sod, mend it and the replacement arrives  :P

42160[/snapback]

As we said, the pipes would be in this week. They arrived this morning.

We'd be happy to retro-fit the over run pop, but i'm sure you'd rather have some shiny new headers. :)

We welded the pipes as soon as the new shock was fitted to ensure that you got the bike back in as serviceable condition as possible, as soon as possible.

We'd like to think that we had exceeded your level 1.5, ;) given that the only outstanding item is the engine casing paint, which is completely out of our control, after all, surely we can't be expected to cover the cost of this as well, given the amount of bikes that suffer in the same way. We've already welded the pipes for free and we replaced the wheel bearing prior to any warranty claim, it's very unlikely that we'll get paid for either of these from Guzzi.

We'd like to think that we had exceeded your level 1.5, 

Yes more than happy with service provided. The levels were only to suggest the degree of fixed, not as a star rating of service provided. Perhaps 1.5 should have been 1 7/8ths or even the full two as they function and its now only cosmetic.

We welded the pipes as soon as the new shock was fitted to ensure that you got the bike back in as serviceable condition as possible, as soon as possible.

Two week turn around from broken to fixed, the extra week was my availablty to collect. I've no bones about the time scale. I appreciate most of the delay is warranty approval and wait for parts. Probably quite time of year in workshop so that probably didn't come into on this occasion.

given that the only outstanding item is the engine casing paint, which is completely out of our control, after all, surely we can't be expected to cover the cost of this as well

accepted and not expected

We've already welded the pipes for free and we replaced the wheel bearing prior to any warranty claim, it's very unlikely that we'll get paid for either of these from Guzzi.

What's the actual cost to you for this. I make assumtion that you don't have to outsource the welding. Parts and materials at cost, labour time whose only cost is if its time lost that you could have charged to some one else. I don't know how long it took to weld and grind the headers. It shouldn't have taken long to replace the bearing. I was paying to have the tyre fitted. I don't know if wheel removal is also covered in the labour cost of the warranty replacement of the shock.

Is it right that a customer whoses paid good money for a new motorcycle sold with a warranty should further pay again for those items and fitment that fail within that time scale. Wheel bearings are consumables but not with 18 months and 7,500 miles. The cost should be met by the manufacturer. It would cause them to pay more attention to build quality in the first.

If there are problems with getting reimbursed for warranty work that is an issue for the dealer and manufacturer not the customer.

I understand that dealers are in it to make money. This efects their profits. If you are piling them high and selling cheap your unit profit is reduced and if they all come back for remedial work which you aren't getting paid for thats not nice for you. It is however a risk the dealer takes when setting his prices.

Again, I have no problems with the way I've been treated by yourselves.

10th character indicates was built in 2002

42217[/snapback]

Hi Martin, I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but the 10th character indicates the model year - not necessarily the same as the date of manufacture. The actual month and year of manufacture should be indicated on the headstock.

Is it right that a customer whoses paid good money for a new motorcycle sold with a warranty should further pay again for those items and fitment that fail within that time scale.

42327[/snapback]

Martin,

of course it isn't right.

I was really just trying to point out the lengths that we have to go to as a dealer, since the MG warranty process is so poor.

If the parts supply had been what it should be, we wouldn't have needed to spend time removing your headers and welding them. Technically, we should obtain approval from MG before carrying out any warranty work, so the wheel bearing would have meant that your bike was still on the bench.

I agree that none of this should be your concern, but it helps us if customers understand the problems that we have when dealing with MG warranty issues.

...we replaced the wheel bearing ...

Was this a left (brake side) rear? There's been a few of these go. I had two go quickly. In my case & probably others it was due to bearing spacer being wrong length. I got parts on warranty so Guzzi are aware of it.

I think it is admirable of Mr MOtO to argue his case here.

And very interesting.

KB :sun:

Hi Martin, I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but the 10th character indicates the model year - not necessarily the same as the date of manufacture. The actual month and year of manufacture should be indicated on the headstock.

Bugger :bbblll: seems that you're correct. The vin handbook we have at work says year of manufacture, but every thing else seems to indicate model year. The book and folders we have all relate to cars, vans; lorries, caravans; trailers and plant not a single reference for motorcycles. However the PNC will search on chasis and engine numbers, so all is not lost if we only have a frame number to go on. Most officers can only defferentiate between moped and high powered motorcycles. So PM would generaly be quite safe swaping his plate between his Guzzis. Not that I condone such lawlessness.

Couldn't find the date and month bit on headstock. found the stamped number and a small plate but couldn't identify which bit refered. Going down with a head cold so was quite uncomfortable looking, so gave up early.

it helps us if customers understand the problems that we have when dealing with MG warranty issues.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to knock you. I've been happy for what you've done for me.I think I've been quite understanding of the issues. I'm not allways burning up the phone lines asking for updates. As a customer I have some expectations.

Hello Martin (and Jaap, for the poll?)

As I mentioned before I had the eye of the Sachs Boge shock broken at 20.000 kms.

We (forum members) still don't know whether this shock failure is common or not.

Is it worth a poll?

Anywhey: my frame number: ZGUKR000XM...... so I expect year 2000.

Martin's Le Mans is two years younger.

So what about the frequency of occurence?

I don't know :huh2:

My shock is replaced by an British made Hagon.

Greetings:

Co from Holland.

So does that make three known broken shocks?

FWIW I doubt the corrosion theory.

Co, How do you like the Hagon?

Is there a part number for it, or was it custom made for travel and distance between the eyes?

How's this for service

took the broken shock into the dealer along with the wheel with the failed bearing, Monday lunch time,

Yes sir I'll get that sorted for you I will put a claim in at Guzzi, takes about 24hrs for a response.

Friday morning the same week, hello sir, parts are in. ready to collect

With the bike already stripped down I decided I would reassemble it myself, the dealer offered to do it for me.

I can't thank Jason at Moto Strada, Shipley, west Yorkshire. for his standard of service and customer care.

I can highly recommend Moto Strada to anyone, within the area. :thumbsup:

As for the corrosion theory I am not convinced, there was no corrosion at all on the shock or mounting eye.