Lower shock mount breakage??????

Dirtybill

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many need or use more than 90HP in a roadbike  :bike:  ? Seems to me most times 150HP works best parked up outside the pub...  :P

KB :sun:

41200[/snapback]

Nobody. But that doesn't stop people wanting it. Back when I was working on Hondas in the late 80's we used to get lots of blokes in with old CB1100's, not even the lovely 'R's just the 'Cooking' 1100's who'd complain that their bikes were running rough-as-guts. Normally we simply had to sit 'em on the centrestand, (Remember them?) and rev the shitter out of them for five minutes to get the crap out of the combustion chambers, I can remember showers of hot coals out of the back of the 4 into 1's. This was back in the days when there was a minimal police presence outside of the cities and you could flog a bike if you wanted to. Nowadays??? Forget it. If those blokes were riding around on the idle circuit and slide cutaway most of the time on a bike that produced????? 85BHP why would blokes nowadays be any different????? FI systems mean that they are less likely to have the fouling problems of carbs but unless there has suddenly evolved a new race of blokes who are completely different to those of 20 years ago it's all to do with 'Underpants Enhancement'.

If you want to race? Go to a bloody track and prove what a good rider you are. If you want to blowhard? Buy the latest and greatest every year and never wear the tyres out before you trade it in, or if you do don't wear out the poofter-dags on the sides of the treads.

I know that my views aren't either popular or generally accepted but I still reckon the fact I could round up a couple of dills on Buell 'Neckbolts' or whatever they are called in South Dakota on a heavily laden Convert with touring tyres reinforces the point that most people already have far more than they need and hardly ever attempt to use it. No I'm not bragging, I ride like Gumby. I'm atrocious, as well as being old and fat. I simply think that more than 100BHP, really more than about 70BHP, on the road is a stupid waste of time energy and resources and propogates a whole host of know-nothing festerheads who understand nothing about the machines they ride and therefore are a menace to all and sundry.

See Ya.

Rear suspension unit mounting failure

Hmmm.  Let's not be too hasty rubbishing this one.  In areas where road salting is common there could be a problem.

A while back I didn't like the look of my bike's swinging arm cross member which acts as the lower attachment for the suspension unit.  The cross member was starting to rust because it is not protected by the hugger but lives inside it where it is bombarded with grit and water from the rear tyre.  Not a clever bit of design.  I cleaned the cross member, painted it and then covered it with split neoprene tube held on with cable ties.

Actually the entire hugger is a design joke because it lacks a front!  I made a front from 3mm neoprene sheet to prevent crud and water being thrown forward over the swinging arm pivot cross member and rear of the gearbox.  Very successful.

Graham

41193[/snapback]

BUT.....Brian Robson has 73,000 kms on his LeMans which he rides just about every day and no sign of cracks etc. And they do salt the roads here also.

And I guess I'm a "festerhead poofy" then cos I like my R1, not necessarily for all the power, which is fun :P but for the handling :race: . I'm even thinking about getting an R6 the next time I want another sportbike because the HP is now up there with the older 1000cc machines. But, what lets me down on 600s is lack of torque. The R1 out torques the Guzzi and it does this at only around 6000 rpm.

And I guess I'm a "festerhead poofy" then cos I like my R1, not necessarily for all the power, which is fun :P  but for the handling :race: .  I'm even thinking about getting an R6 the next time I want another sportbike because the HP is now up there with the older 1000cc machines.  But, what lets me down on 600s is lack of torque.  The R1 out torques the Guzzi and it does this at only around 6000 rpm.

41243[/snapback]

What you REALLY want is an MGS!

Guest Brian Robson
BUT.....Brian Robson has 73,000 kms on his LeMans which he rides just about every day and no sign of cracks etc.  And they do salt the roads here also.

41243[/snapback]

before the cold weather I did strip the swinging arm and the shock to lube the bearings and didn't see any cracks, but in light of these threads, guess what I'll be doing this weekend? :(

Got home today to be told that the bike shop had rung saying she was ready for collection. I haven't been able to ring to verify exactly what has been done.

1- shock and oil light - makes her rideable

2- 1 & headers- sorts out pop on over run- makes her mechanicaly correct

3- 2 & engine paint - perfection

I'd settle for 1 and continue to wait for the headers. I expect 2. I dream of 3.

If she is ready I won't be able to collect untill Wednesday at the earliest. Stuck at work tomorrow. Allowing the wife a weekend away, though she is taking our 6 year old, so I'm left with a three year old and an autistic 5 year old can't see how how I can do it over the weekend, (the 13 year old doesn't count as can be left alone for a few hours). Then on Monday and Tuesday have hospital appointments, kids in school, full and half days, and have to go to work :bbblll: on nights. So if I go without more than 3 1/2 hours sleep can get across and back on Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the sleep. Collected her today. Great to back on two wheels even in the rain.

Fixed to level 1.5 - headers welded. I miss the POP on the over run, was great for clearing cars out the way on dual carriageways. Had to resort to an undertake today.

When the rear tyre was changed they also had to change one wheel bearing. The race had started to break up. Didn't look very greazey

Guest Brian Robson

I had both my headers welded and just found out that there are two new headers here in Vancouver....they are coming Martin!

I had both my headers welded and just found out that there are two new headers here in Vancouver....they are coming Martin!

Chap seemed to think that they would be in this week - Probably dealer speak for they've arrived but we've not fitted them. :D or the law of Sod, mend it and the replacement arrives :P

Just in the middle of servicing the v11s and I noticed what appeared to be a crack in the rear sus unit, stripped it all out, yep its failed

6700 miles up on a 2003 bike

All was fine 300 miles ago when I was last under to bleed the clutch, the lower unit was cleaned and re greased at the time.

I don't think it is dry pivots, more like over size bushes

oh!! and the rear wheel bearing is rough as well,

time for a chat with the dealer in the morning :luigi:

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

Guest Brian Robson

I cleaned all the crap off the bike and pulled off the shock and there was no crack in either of the mounts. As Jaap states it may be a bad batch of shocks.

I hope that MG's warranty covers the replacement.

Could you name your V11 type, framenumber and year of make (and maybe a number on the shock)? Maybe we can narrow it down to a fawlty batch

Le mans 02 ZGUKTA0102M111420

10th character indicates was built in 2002

I hope that MG's warranty covers the replacement.

Mine was, still got another 6 months :)