DIY philosophy of many MG owners.

rktman1

Just want to gather your thoughts on this subject...

Compared to other groups of motorcycle owners, many MG owners do a LOT of their own maintenance (preventive and problem-fixing). Also many MG owners will scour the earth to find a used MG rather than purchase a new MG. I respect this but what effect does this have on the MG corporation, its sales, etc.?

Or is this "DIY/buy used" philosophy of owners a direct result (backlash) of MG not being responsive to customers, pricing bikes too high, long waits for warranty service, poor quality control, etc.?

Tim

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DIY thing applies to me unless I know that in the long run, it's gonna cost less and be a better job if I get a Mechanic to do it. I've seen firsthand the screw ups and extra time and money it costs for Mechanics to put right what a customer has done.

As for parts. This forum is a great resource with info like Buell turn signals, Ducati levers etc. I won't however go scouring every bike shop for a lower price because so far my dealer has been good.

I think, for their own good, at least in this area, Guzzi should do way more advertising. While kids are buying 600cc Japanese bikes that will do over 150mph, I think Guzzi should be marketing their 750 Breva as an entry level model. Do ads with kids on them etc. It seems a lot of kids are getting 600cc bikes as their first bikes so why not try to stylize some of Guzzis to appeal to them? Or make a concerted effort to go after the BMW customers?

I work on my bike because it is fun .... honestly

To some degree my vehicles, esp of the recreational type, have been an equal part use(riding) and hobbyist tinkering :luigi:

I'm not sure I've really saved too much money doing anything myself, as most of the things I've done.... were practically unnecessary :P

al

I work on my bike because it is fun  .... honestly

To some degree my vehicles, esp of the recreational type, have been an equal part use(riding) and hobbyist tinkering  :luigi:

I'm not sure I've really saved too much money doing anything myself, as most of the things I've done.... were practically unnecessary  :P

al

41998[/snapback]

Ya, it is fun and I think that's been lost on a lot of the newer bikers. It used to be part of the "experience" of owning a bike and it's rewarding to know that you fixed it or added something to the bike that no one's thought of before. My theory is that years ago, most bike owners were largely blue collar guys who knew the basics of turning a wrench. Now it seems that most bikers are computer techies who could fix my computer no problem but haven't a clue as to how to change the oil and filter, and what's worse, imo, don't want to know how. Personally, I find it a bit scary if I was on a long distance trip and didnt know the basics if my bike broke down.

I guess it's just a carry over from when bikes weren't as reliable as they are now.

Personally, I would have more time for the factory, if they had time for us.

Since my recent purchase, admittedly secondhand, but still in warranty period, I have had very poor support from the factory. Laid back to the point of comatose.

As back in the eighties though, I have found passionate believers in the aftermarket area who have given good support and service. These people I value highly and support in whatever way I can.

I bought the V11 for the same reasons I bought my 750-S3 in 1980. I liked the look and feel. I also liked the fact that it was a breeze to work on. The V11 is slightly more complex, but still comparatively a piece of cake. :luigi:

Nige. :thumbsup:

...MG owners do a LOT of their own maintenance...

For years Guzzis have been mostly made of big solid simple bits, simply put together - easy for simpletons to remove, replace & modify. Most models can be other models by swapping parts - parts fit all. So you can easily customise to just what you want - same base Guzzi can be tourer, commuter or sports bike. Basic engineering, design, fabrication is sound, there's no tat or bits that are just there to cover tat...or just for style...very little pressed steel...good honest motorcycles -a pleasure to work on & you feel it's worth making up bits for them. Well this has always been true for Tontis anyhow - things changed a bit with the spineframes...but still you get a bike that isn't quite finished. You gotta sort it to what you want it to be. And the more you do, the more it becomes yours so you keep it. Guess it doesn't fit too well in this built in obsolescence/throw it away buy a new one/consumer culture ...

...most of the things I've done.... were practically unnecessary ...

Mid-life crisis Al?

KB :sun:

...As back in the eighties though, I have found passionate believers in the aftermarket area who have given good support and service. These people I value highly and support in whatever way I can...

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KB

For me it is:

1) The dealer is not particularly effective or helpful( the Forum is however )

2) The bike is easy to work on

3) Tinkering is part of the hobby and I enjoy working on this bike. I don't touch my car.

There are some great professional mechanics but they can be difficult to find. Bozos tend to advertise ( that is their poor work is evident ). That said, I agree with Bill know when to say when.

Does MG market to the DIY market? Who knows, a local Bed and Breakfast charges people from NYC to come up and do farm chores for a week. Apparently its quite popular.

For me it is:

1) The dealer is not particularly effective or helpful( the Forum is however )

2) The bike is easy to work on

3) Tinkering is part of the hobby and I enjoy working on this bike. I don't touch my car.

There are some great professional mechanics but they can be difficult to find. Bozos tend to advertise ( that is their poor work is evident ). That said, I agree with Bill know when to say when.

Does MG market to the DIY market? Who knows, a local Bed and Breakfast charges people from NYC to come up and do farm chores for a week. Apparently its quite popular.

42006[/snapback]

LOL! Thats like the interior of this province. You can pay to go on a cattle drive on ranches. I grew up on a farm and I can't fathom NOT being payed to do it :P

Who knows, a local Bed and Breakfast charges people from NYC to come up and do farm chores for a week. Apparently its quite popular.

42006[/snapback]

It wouldn't have been popular on the farm I grew up on. My father put on a lot of rock festivals but the hippies would never show up! Then there was the fun of when a cow fell in the liquid manure sump and someone had to go in and put a halter on the beast! I CANNOT imagine paying to do that let alone what I would charge someone if I had to do it now.

Now that being said, I suppose working on agricultural equipment when I grew up may explain why I have a Moto Guzzi and a Laverda. One made the Mule which was for farming as well as military and the other made combine harvesters. Both bikes are built like they were meant to pull a plough and are also fun and easy to work on. They both also have roots in aviation and that is a connection I do like!

I've always done my own work, where a warranty compliance issue does not come up. Like Bill, I've had real ham fisted work done on my bike [not recently thankfully]. Luckily, I also grew up on a farm, where nursing mechanical things back to life was the norm. Regular wrenching is part of the passion of bikes for me. How can you really get close to your passion, if you end up sending it to someone else when it has a tummy ache. I've restored 4 bikes frame up since 1993, and found that while different manufacturers do things slightly differently, there is a commonness among all of the engines.

That said, it was not the ease of maintenance that attracted me to the Moto Guzzi. If that was the case, I'd have 6 Urals in my garage!

I think most here understand what the attraction is to this brand. It is tough to put into words, but there is something!

Ciao, Steve G.

i don't know much about working on it, but i will comment on the used bikes.

seems like any guzzi running at 50k miles has another 100k in it. and it's been totaly shook down. anything that's going to break has broken already.

or that's how i look at it. after seeing odos at our little michigan rally, sheesh, i need to move south and get a job 500 miles away to keep up with some of those guys.