Type of bike for beginner

Guest SamSung

Guest SamSung

My wife has decided that she wants a bike. She's never ridden before. It's against my better judgement. But she insists so any suggestions for what type of bike I should get her? I don't think the streets will be safe ever again with her on them. UGG GGHHHH :homer:

Suzuki 500 twin. Or better yet a Ninja 500. Better suspenion there.

If you can find a early 80's Honda CM400/450 twin, those were outstanding bikes and easy to handle.

Try to find a bike with light clutch pull. Most women don't have the grip strength men have.

Or, if you want to go kind of crazy... Get her a Ural Retro Solo like I got. Super low seat height, easy handling, low effort clutching, low center of gravity and a good Brembo disk brake up front. The four speed is higher effort to shift than most Jap trannys, but it's not tough to shift.

If you're completely insane and on the left coast, I have an 84 V65C that has to go before I move. All of the mechanical upgrades, Corbin seat and updated handlebar controls (Ducati type Italian generic) and a very reasonable price.

I'd agree with the dual sports / dirt bike suggestion but these tend to have high saddles compared to most street bikes. It depends on how tall she is.

I'd recommend a used Suzuki SV650 ($3000-$4000), a good light modern beginner bike - and a bike she won't grow out of soon (if at all).

Tim

I agree w/ the dual sport approach. The older ones were lower. There are some old XR200 around for cheap. Light, low power and they will full fill most of your wheelie fantasies. Easy to start if I recall. Also a heck of a lot of fun too.

Two stroke Enduros tend to really come on the pipe at some point which is sure to scare the wits out of a new rider, even some older ones too.

A mountain bike can teach you alot about braking and steering too.

Good luck.

Well, first and foremost, IMHO... you want a used "pre wrecked" model :D ... that no one will feel bad about when it gets dropped(because it will). With that stress removed, she can concentrate on riding.

My top picks:

- Kawasaki EX250 or EX500 (cheap, lots of parts, and still a sporty ride)

- Honda Hawk (harder to find, but good bike, short range can be an issue though)

- Yamaha Seca II (easy to ride, air-cooled, a bit tallish, but a great all-rounder)

The SV650 is a good bike, but as a beginner :huh2: .... well, it really is quite a "performer". A lot of folks race these bikes for a reason, and although it's not technically out of bounds for a beginner, I would think twice about putting a new rider on one as opposed to one of the bikes mentioned above.

But generally speaking, it is a great bike, better in many respects than any of the ones I listed above, especially as a second(long term) bike :thumbsup:

And BTW, unless you can find a well used and "pre-wrecked" Breva 750, I wouldn't put that at the top of my list, just because of cost alone.

You want to spend less than $2000, and probably closer to $1000 on a beginner IMHO.

al

OH, and *first*.... enroll her in your local MC Safety Training Course.... most States should have them now, and you'll usually get a few extra benefits such as a reduced Insurance rate, and exemption from the practical(riding) portion of the license test.

Call one of the local MC shops, or your local State Police. One or the other can usually give you info on any programs that you may have available.

Typically they are a weekend deal, morning classes, afternoon riding and tests, perhaps with one weekday evening of classroom instruction as well.

al

OH, and *first*.... enroll her in your local MC Safety Training Course....

Yes! And use one of their loaner bikes (usually Honda 250 NightHawk or Buell Blast here in Tucson) so she can dump one of those and not her own bike.

Tim

Guest vkerrigan

I would agree w above and rktman1 in that sometimes you can lease from a dealer the 250 Honda's that the MSF uses for their classes. Since most folks are rarely satisfied in keeping a beginner bike, try and get out of the process as cheaply as possible. Good Luck & Happy Trails :bike: