New and Improved Speedo Cable

Guest philbo

post-1350-1107702031_thumb.jpgAfter waiting six months, I finally got a replacement speedo cable for my 04 LeMans yesterday. I guess they really did find a new manufacturer and it comes with a new part number plus a modified design - hopefully this will be the end of the broken speedo cable saga that seems to have plagued some many for so long. Just for reference, the new part number is MG01760492 which I guess is 1 number off the old part number. I’ve attached a couple of pics as well. The one with the substantially less angled bend is the new one.

speedo_cable.jpg Just for reference, the new part number is MG01760492 which I guess is 1 number off the old part number. I’ve attached a couple of pics as well. The one with the substantially less angled bend is the new one.

42673[/snapback]

The number you mention is for the Lemans/Nero Corsa and Rosso Corsa

Their is also a new, different cable for the Ballabio/Cafe Sport and Coppa Italia.

All of the originals were crap.

Hmmm, I wonder if that fits the 'older' V11's?  My speedo is starting to get jumpy, which can only mean one thing....

J

42695[/snapback]

jrt, my thoughts exactly. Curious if this new design is compatible with the pre-2003 "angle drive" that's broken on me a few times already. Is a different style gear drive needed? I'd love to retro-fit a more robust design on my 02 naked once and for all.

An inch longer would be good because [insert joke here] the bends could be made less sharp. I just kind of wonder if the ends are the same and I can't remember if the ends changed when Guzzi went to the newer speedo.

Jason

speedo_cable.jpgAfter waiting six months, I finally got a replacement speedo cable for my 04 LeMans yesterday. I guess they really did find a new manufacturer and it comes with a new part number plus a modified design - hopefully this will be the end of the broken speedo cable saga that seems to have plagued some many for so long. Just for reference, the new part number is MG01760492 which I guess is 1 number off the old part number. I’ve attached a couple of pics as well. The one with the substantially less angled bend is the new one.

42673[/snapback]

Mine broke at 1500 miles. The replacement I got under warranty is identical to the old one--with the angled metal pipe. Its gone about another 2000 to date...

Jason,

There are really two things that can cause the speedo needle to jump. The 1st is the speedo cable (usually binds up where the cable is stressed at the headlamp housing) and the second is the speedo itself. First my speedo went out from the angle drive at the transmisson (end cover popped off and spit a piece out), many months without a speedo then the shop finally took one off their demo. Then the jumping needle sydrome started happening soon afterwards. I replaced the speedo cable and it did not change the problem. The speedo was replaced and now no needle jumping.

You could remove the inner speedo cable and lube it like the good old days. Just be careful when threading the speedo cable housing to the speedo. The speedo housing is plastic and it is very easy to crossthread. :homer:

Mike

Hmmm, I wonder if that fits the 'older' V11's?  My speedo is starting to get jumpy, which can only mean one thing....

J

42695[/snapback]