2nd bike choices

dbdicker

Ok, don't worry...will never sell my guzzi. BUT.........

Need a mount to take me and the missus along to wherever. She's not particularily bike friendly; that means, she needs a bike that feels super safe, smooth and (dare I say it) s-l-o-w. Comfort a big plus (to me as well) and need as reliable as i can get.

Not willing to buy new, so I've seem to come down to only one choice:

BMW R1100/1150RT

I figure with luggage and a top rack, i can get it done for between $5-8K, have great space to pack us up for a few weeks at a time and reassure my wife (and myself) with German reliability.

Any of you have thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Dan

Why not take a test ride on something from the Cali range?

I have a Jackal which I have kitted out for touring- seriously cheaper than the BMW, comfy (after I had the seats repacked), excellent handling, punchy motor, decent brakes and best of all it is still a Guzzi. I have 125 litres of Hepco and Becker luggage space and can carry the kitchen sink.

A guy on a R1150RT followed me down to the 2001 Raduno through France and Switzerland and he confirmed that the Jackal midrange was considerably stronger than his BM. His bike had a bigger tank range and was easier to clean.

The BMW is a nice bike but prefer a bit more character. I notice there are a few guys on this forum who have a Cali as well as a V11.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Guy :helmet:

I bought a V10 Centauro to put bags and a top box on. I can't imagine what else I would buy. It is very similar to the V11 but a more relaxed seating and lots of midrange torque. Surprisingly (at first) it has a lot of top end power too! Perusing the Centauro forum I find that the V10 is well noted for its power. it has many things in common with the V11 without being the same. They are in fact very different in character!

That's exactly why I will always have my Road King. Despite the HD bashing, there is simply no better touring rig that has any soul to it. Something the Bavarian Motor Works has never quite understood, IMHO. All things mentioned here will do the job though.

Down to taste and used prices.

Hate to say it Dan,

feels super safe

smooth

S-L-O-W

Comfy x2

Reliable as can be

Can be bought cheaply

sorry buddy, you just described a Goldwing to a Tee!

Say what you will about BMW reliability, they got nothin on Honda.

There are worse things in life than toodling around the country on a Goldwing with the wifey... especially with a Scura in the cubby for the solo rides :race:

Rj

How about the new 1100 cc Breva? The bike looks comfy as hell and the small Breva 750 was well received in the press, at least here in Europe.

breva1100_lg.jpg

breva1100_18S.jpgbreva1100_6S.jpgbreva1100_15S.jpg

The prefered touring bike in Europe is definitely the BMW (1100RS, 1100RT). It doesn't matter where you go - you'll always see Beemers. They are rock steady and are close to flawless. It's a bike that can take you on 1.000 km daytrips and when you arrive you're not knackered. Try to do the same on a V11....

As for the Gold Wing it's more a poser bike (I'm talking about the GW scene here in Denmark, allright?), you know cruising down the strip on a hot summer day with all the bolt-ons you can imagine from either Custom Chrome or Drag Specialities. Most GW owners are middle aged men who take their pride for a ride when the car is in for maintenance. IMO the GW has nothing to do with a motorcycle. It's big as a barn, can't handle and it's more show than go.

The Electra Glide is the original cruiser and is still loyal to its roots. It's a born cruiser made for the highways but when it comes to twisting and turning it shows its true face (I had a 1967 FL Harley for 16 years so I've been there).

If you want a bike that can handle then head for new Breva or a BMW. I would definitely choose the 1100 Breva.

Cheeers

Søren

I agree you/wife should definitely test a Cali/Jackal or even an older Tonti (T3/4/SP/G5 or auto Convert). You might be surprised - They're a lovely relaxing ride. Make you smile. Comfortable, good brakes/handling & don't feel fast but pull top gear from nothing. Ask em on Wildguzzi board. Some (later) hydraulic lifter problems, some single clutch probs? But get a sorted one & it'll go forever, take you anywhere. I never used to think twice about taking my ol Tonti touring, two up, camping, loads of gear, motorways to sand & gravel - got as far as Southern Morrocco, thing was if any little thing did go wrong you could usually fix it. BMW's work real well but have no character.

:mg: Tonti: whatever you want it to be!

KB :sun:

I want to get the Aprilia Futura for a second touring bike, or so I tell the Ms's its for touring right? its comfy and slowww, well everything looks slow moving that fast. :bier: I digress I really want to get the harley Springer classic but at 18k, I'll wait 18k could get me an MV agusta or 2 used Guzzi's or A hayabusa and insurance for 3 months ya know all kinds of goodies. go for the winger. if you want something with style get the ultra electra glide whatever thier full dress is they have stupid names for thier bikes. Not like the alphanumeric monikers the euro's use. :rolleyes:

Different tools for different jobs. The 'blade is great for tight twisties or the occasional foray to the track. The Sport is great for longer sporty trips, and the 928 is the best tool for hauling the wife quickly down the slab! :race:

bmwrtp.jpgHey guys,

thanks for all the great input/discussion. Found a '98 R1100RT-P police bike that was retired early with 20K on the clock. I know that these can be reconverted to 2-up machines with ease and I couldn't see myself on a GoldWing boat. I considered the Cali, and saw the advantage of many interchangable parts, but also couldn't really get my head around the idea of having a 2nd Guzzi.

I bought the BMW for very small $. Actually looking forward to having an alternative with heated grips and electric windsheild and full fairing on those sub-50 degree days. For long range 2up roaming, I don't think I could have done much better. Characterless? You're surely right. I owned a 95 R1100R, so I'm intimately aware of the downsides of the motor.

When the temperature is over 50degrees, I'm alone or if I'm only traveling for a weekend or so, the Scura will be the obvious first choice. :D

When any of those conditions are otherwise, looks like the BMW will get the work.

Dan