OT: US stock brokers

Admin Jaap

Today I got my 3d :!: call from a 3d US stock broker, hassling me. Maybe that's normal in the US, but Dutch stock brokers don't call me. I asked this guy from Gunnallen.com in Tampa Fl how he got my phone#, but I got a vague, evasive answer.

My question: How can I make these people leave me alone? I can't/won't change my phone# because it's my company #.

Guest vkerrigan

Although I put all my telephone numbers on the "do not call" registry last year, I still get calls from all over the world (India, Africa) on behalf of American firms. Seems they've outsourced harassment now to the lowest bid :bbblll: . All I can suggest is if the same number continues calling, either activate "call block" from your local provider or purchase a device to do the same..........Good Luck....vk

Jaap

Do not expect restraint or elegance from US business.

My mail box at home looks like a trash can so bad that many times I throw good mail on the trash. My Phone rings many times a day with ‘personalized calls’. To make it entertaining I am building a listing of business I will never do business with. Some of them are Houston Chronicle, Bank of America, Bank One, Capital One, Lens Crafters, MCI, ATT, and many local ones with automatic callers that leave messages on your answering machine.

Fax junk still a fashion here: At work they discovered the fax number and now 90% of the paper and film toner goes into waste.

I am not a compulsive shopper, I am not rich, I am not American, but still I am at the bothering list of business.

But rudeness is on the march, last week I got a phone call at home from a business in England, they sell information about diverse market places, like China and India, oriented for people who want to invest in the stock market. This was my fault because I did fill the blanks out of curiosity for the service they provide. :homer:

Anthro

Jaap,

Just tell them flat out not to call you anymore. They are supposed to take you off their lists if you ask them to, although I don't know if that actually happens or not.

Other strategy- just talk to them in Dutch. If they don't want to make the effort to communicate in your native language, then you aren't interested in their business. :P

Jason

...I always tell them outrageous things :P

Like the time I was offered a free "Home Health Encyclopedia".... and just told them I was a doctor.

...or if they offer you health insurance, or credit card insurance... tell 'em you are dying. That'll make them quit offering the coverage :D

al

I have much fun with telemarketers! Perhaps this is why we get so few calls anymore. :bier:

A vinyl siding company called one day trying to sell me "siding". (We have a brick house.) So I channeled my inner "cracker personality" and yelled at the lady "What the Hell Mamm? Wut kinds fool you think I am anyway?! I din't buy a house with no sides to it! Hell! Whattdaya think is holding up the blamed roof?! I don't need no damned siding." :D

Another good one was when some salesman called from a "brokerage" in Florida. A Boiler room is probably more like it though. He said he was "Into gas and oil" and wanted to talk to me about investing. Right off the top of my head I replied "So you're slimy and flatulent and for some reason you think I'd let YOU handle my money?! Go screw yourself!" Then I hung up.

But my favorite is my trusty old whistle I keep near the shop phone. :grin:

If there's obviously someone obnoxious on the line I blow it into the mouthpiece for all I'm worth and then in my best "announcers voice" I say "Thank you for calling the Police Whistle Hotline! Remember that your credit card will be billed $500 per minute for this call. To hear this whistle again in Spanish, please press 1." Funny thing. No one has ever pressed one yet. :huh2:

Sadly, I don't get many opportunities for fun like this anymore. I have to settle for terrorizing my teenaged daughters boy-friends. :grin:

Simple, tell them that your a broker and offer them a good chance to make money.

First ask them to send you $10,000 :D

Today I got my 3d :!: call from a 3d US stock broker, hassling me. Maybe that's normal in the US, but Dutch stock brokers don't call me.  I asked this guy from Gunnallen.com in Tampa Fl how he got my phone#, but I got a vague, evasive answer.

My question: How can I make these people leave me alone? I can't/won't change my phone# because it's my company #.

44026[/snapback]

Don't know if this works for other phone systems but here in Canada the connection between parties is not broken until the person who gets called hangs up.

I use this every time I get a telemarketer - I just say "hold please" then leave the phone listening to the TV or radio. After 10 mins you will hear them screaming into the phone to hang up.

Waste their time and money instead of yours. I also get very few telemarketers now. :)

Rj

I tell them I spent all my money on women and motorcycles and squander the rest.

Also we have caller ID on the phone which tells you who is calling. If it shows 'number on listed' or 'outside the calling area' chances are good its not a call you are interested.