Cross Overs

Guest philbo

Guest philbo

I'm not sure why I agonize over this but with spring coming, it’s time to sort out a few mods for the LeMans. I’d pretty much settled on the Ferracci air box mods, a Stucci Crossover, Mistral cans, a PCIII and some tuning work by John at Dyno Solutions. After looking around a bit I now figure that I can save a few hundred dollars by going Ferracci end to end. The pipes sound good from what I hear etc. but looking at the picture of the crossover on their web site, methinks it looks less efficient than the Stucci on the MG Cycle web site (which doesn’t mean much but …). Does anyone have any comments about the pro’s and cons of either?

Thanks ...

According to the few posted dyno charts they appear to boost power about the same.

I don't know anyone who has done a direct comparison of both of the crossovers.

So, if you are inclined go all out with the FBF.

They should be able to give you a fine base map for John to turn into pure Guzzi pleasure!

Guest dopiata

From what I have heard, the difference in many cross-overs is the point where they cross over.

For example, a cross over which is done further from the exhaust ports will have less HP. And one closer will have better HP.

I asked MGCycle about this ... and they said they can show the difference on the Dyno. they only recommended the Stucci.

This leads me to then ask, does anyone have a cross-over type pipe that Agostini sells for the V11 which does it right after coming out of the exhaust port? And has this been dyno'ed?

MGCycle said the HP is the differencte of +5 with the Stucci, and the other one they sell was actually worse then the stock one.

Forgive me, since this conversation was a bit back ... I did see a guy on here who had a Agostini setup ... with the cross over (right in front of the front timing chain cover, which cleared the oil cooler).

I am curious if anyone else has tried this type.

Thanks

This gets more and more confusing

Jaap got excellent results with the Mistral crossover, indicating excellent power in mid and high rpms, but this could have been how it combined with his mufflers.

Doug Lofgren's test show the Mistral improved midrange at the expense of top end.

The result that Al linked to show the Mistral being very close to stock.

And the FBF shows great improvement in the midrange, much like the Stucchi.

The FBF is an H pipe.

Not as pretty as the Mistral or Stucchi (judging by the pictures)

But apparently an excellent performer.

I do not have time for a lot of typing and explaining why right now, but I am convinced that STUCCHI is the only X-over to go with.

Believe it please, it's true.

ah but its easily $100 more than the FBF. is it really worth the extra 2hp? I recall someone talking about a new bolt on muffler for his lawn mower to get an extra 0.3 mph out of it. :huh2:

I should just get some dimensions of these stucci's and have my uncle make a few up, (he's a professional welder, welding fabrication for the last 20 years)

I should just get some dimensions of these stucci's and have my uncle make a few up, (he's a professional welder, welding fabrication for the last 20 years)

45155[/snapback]

Great idea - let us know if/when you're going to do this, as I for one would be interested in trying one out.