But first.....

andy york

GOOOD luck to you man, That looks like one of those puzzles but on the side of the box its all in a forign laguage you can't understand even if you can understand it and the age is professional+ but I say that sometimes its more fun to fix it than to use it but always the most fun to break it.

:huh2::luigi:

I pulled the box because of an annoying leak. I had some other things I wanted to do in there, specifically. have all the gears ,shafts,gearings,shift forks, and everything in the rear trans also, Micro Blued. You can read about it at www dot microblueonline dot com. Its some really cool stuff. :thumbsup: I also figure that with as many moving parts( about 2.5 times that a jap bike has) that the guzzi has, anything to make them smoother will help. I can't explain it in print very well. The best example I have ..taking a shower with soap in "soft " water vs soap in "hard "water.....anyway I've seen it ..It works ..and I did it (motor is next)

Gotta get my gearbox together....gettin warm outside :race:

andy

Andy, I can't imagine one shifting smoother than the one you built for me...I'll be interested in hearing how this turns out. :notworthy: k

so if you go through with all of this does it really make them shift smoother some how? AND is there a way to get rid of the false nuetrals? that really threw me off when I first got it. I was so used to just a little love tap to shift gears and to get the guzzi to shift is like your prom date you have to make sure to go all the way. :grin:

Two things that almost always solve false-neutrals (beyond it being a mechanical failure/issue) are:

- Adjusting the shift linkage to eliminate slop

- Honing your technique

After both have been addressed, you will find missed shifts very rare.

The MG 6 speed is regularly heralded as an excellent box, but it does take it to be setup properly, and knowing that a sure, positive shift technique is effective.

al

P.S.

Also, if you adjust your shift linkage, be sure to blue loctite all threads following the work, and never reuse your nylock nuts. Always install new stainless nylocks. This linkage has vibrated loose on several of us(myself included) mid-ride, and you end up stuck in the gear you were in when it fell off :wacko:

The 6-speed box is a very good box. But....It's still kinda like driving a 20 year old Ferrari....which is also a very good box....but.....It doesn't "snick,snick,snick into gear, you have to be very deliberate in shifting as it is actually quite a long throw from gear change to gear change.

The "flexible couplings", known to the yanks as syncros, are already undercut a bit, help "pull it into gear...and that also gives the impression that it is a short throw to shift gears...cause the udercutting of the syncros"pull" the next gear change together and when it decides not pull is when we find the false neutral.

We also need to remember that this box has 4 shift forks that all have to move when you shift gears....and there are 4 shafts spinning inside. Your usual jap bike has 3 shift forks and 2 shafts so the "throw can be somewhat quicker and shorter ....all things being equal :grin: its late ..i'll try more on this tomorrow :wacko:

andy

• 4 weeks later...

This linkage has vibrated loose on several of us(myself included) mid-ride, and you end up stuck in the gear you were in when it fell off  :wacko:

45270[/snapback]

Following a tip-off from Mal , who has just had the same issue I just checked my V11 gear linkage and yes, the nut was loose and about to fall off.

Guy :helmet:

One nut on my 2004 shift linkage was loose as well. About two more turns and it would have been gone. Anyone that hasn't already checked this should probably do so. There were no lock washers, no locking compound on mine so I reinstalled with blue Loctite.

I found that slow and deliberate shifts are not very good for that box. That is how you create a chance of missed shift, clunky and false neutrals. It needs some faith in the beginning but fast, very decisive shifts smooth everything out very effectively.

Then after a while you get the feel of speed/RPM relationship and of course you begin your clutchless upshifts and engine blipping down after which there is no looking back. That box is as smooth and pleasant in its snick-snick action as the best Jap machinery.

The proper shifting technique plus good Redline oil will make you a believer.