F.I. fuel filter

BrianG

In my attempt to relocate the fuel pump on my V-11 Sport, I have been looking for a smaller fuel filter. There are many automotive "fuel filters" of appropriate size, but they are not designated as specifically "Fuel Injection" type.

I wonder: :huh2:

Are non-F.I. fuel filters inappropriate for locating in the high-pressure side of the F.I. system?

Would it be sufficient to place one of these non-F.I. filters right in front of the fuel pump and forget having one in the high-pressure side? :luigi:

If you use the filter on the inlet side, you may starve the pump, as it is quite high volume.

On the high-pressure side, you absolutely must use a filter designed for 3+ Bar of pressure, otherwise it will rupture. So, no you cannot use a filter not designed for this application.

I think some folks found an Isuzu filter that supposedly fit, but think that info was posted on the "old forum" and may now be lost. In any case, it was about the same size, and the allure was simply that it was much less expensive.

I think that if you could find a filter that met the flow(which I don't know) spec, and met the 3+ bar pressure spec, you may find one that would work, but I don't know of one off hand.

You might run a search of the forum for "filter", but I'm not sure that this angle has been pursued before, or with much effort.

al

I am using NAPA gold FIL3023 that cross references a Nissan Pathfinder

Height (Inches): 4.803''

Height (mm): 121.99MM

O.D. (Inches): 2.205''

O.D. (mm): 56MM

Inlet Thread Size (Inches): .312''

Inlet Thread Size (mm): 8.000MM

Outlet Thread Size (Inches): .312''

Outlet Thread Size (mm): 8.000MM

The height includes the (unthreaded) hose connectors

So the body is much shorter than the OE weber

The Isuzu is specified to be a little slimmer(so it need shimming in the harnass) but a little longer:

Napa gold 3310

Height (Inches): 5.56''

Height (mm): 141.22mm

O.D. (Inches): 2.16''

O.D. (mm): 54.86mm

Inlet Thread Size (Inches): .312''

Inlet Thread Size (mm): 7.937mm

Outlet Thread Size (Inches): .312''

Outlet Thread Size (mm): 7.937mm

Nope, just the one in the tank.... there are some closeup photos and info on that filter in my "2003 tank retrofit" thread, but know nothing of its specs, etc

You could call a MG dealer and see how much this little gem costs, I'd be curious myself.

al

Nope, just the one in the tank....  there are some closeup photos and info on that filter in my "2003 tank retrofit" thread, but know nothing of its specs, etc

You could call a MG dealer and see how much this little gem costs, I'd be curious myself.

al

45299[/snapback]

The in-tank filter(mfg. by Knecht # KL145) is about $70 from Guzzi.

All BMW K-bikes and oilheads use the same filter(p/n 16 14 2 325 859).

About $16 bucks from BMW.

Several BMW riders place these outside the tank for ease of maintenance.

I have heard of no problems.

45337[/snapback]

Todd:

Is this appropriate for an inline, high pressure-side application? :luigi:

Here is a photo of a Deutsch FF424, about the same size as an Isuzu Trooper filter:

filter5.jpg

Goto http://ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/ and look at the external fuel filter articles.

And from here I found some more cross refs that should work with our bike

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm)

: BMW K100RS part number: 13 32 1 461 265 (8mm) or 16142325859, Purolator F20011, AC GF61, Fram G2, Motorcraft FG-2, Wix 33032, CarQuest E2036 (mid-80's Ford Ranger. Fram part number G2). For the 916: Mahle KL 24/1, approximately about 10/15 mm longer than the stock item, it has a 50mm diameter.

You may be able to find the dimensions from the manufacturers' web sites

This is a little smaller than the Isuzu and Pathfinder filters, and probably about the same size as the Beemer filter.

But hunt around and you may find something smaller

Here are the specs on the Wix

Part Number: 33032

UPC Number: 765809330320

Principal Application: ABG Construction Equipment, Ford Festiva (88-91), Various Early Model Import and Domestic (Universal 5/16 in. In-Line w/Hoses and Clamps)

All Applications

Style: Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter

Service: Fuel

Height: 3.862

Outer Diameter Top: 1.936

FWIW Festiva's are made by Kia

I am also looking for a smaller fuel filter for my 1100S project bike. I don't know why a bike would need a fuel filter larger than most automobiles :huh2: The fuel filter change intervals on most Chvrolets is every 36,000 miles and on the Goose it is every 12,000 miles, go figure :helmet: . And how much fuel flows through the filter to the eight cylinders in the Chevy verses the two cylinders on the Guzzi? :homer: Now my head really hurts.

Mike

. And how much fuel flows through the filter to the eight cylinders in the Chevy verses the two cylinders on the Guzzi?  :homer:  Now my head really hurts.

Mike

45398[/snapback]

Just in case you were NOT joking, Mike. That filter passes 100's of times more fuel than the bike burns, as it is recirculated over and over............ through the return line, past the regulator and round and round. :food:

45337[/snapback]

Thanks Todd! I got this unit today fromthe local Canadian BMW dealer. An what with the current Canadian dollar being worth $0.80 US, it stands to reason that the thing only cost me $31.00 :huh2: