Odd sounds... and oil light

Guest KingKraz

Guest KingKraz

OK,

I have a couple more things I was wondering if y'all had any experience with.

1.) Not too big of a deal, it sounds like a loose piece somewhere. Low RPM (<4k) and a lot of gas (>3/4) I hear a rattling.... fast clank clank clank like a piece of metal is vibrating on another. Either below or in front of me... hard to say.

2.) This sounds pretty bad and happened about an hour ago, but maybe it's just a fluke. Anyway, I'm starting off from a standstill, pulling away at about 1/3 gas, and I get a relatively small backfire, then the Low oil PSI light comes on for about 1 or 2 seconds, then turns off. I got pretty worried since i just got this bike 5 days and 1100 miles ago. The bike has good oil level, and the oil light works still, so the bulb didn't go out after it turned on. Maybe it's nothing, but was just wondering if anyone's had this happen.

Anyway, this weekend I hit some awesome roads, and I LOVE the bike. I hope this stuff is nothing to worry about.

kraz

Hrmm, I don't want to panic you, but one thing we've learned about these bikes is that if the oil light comes on for anything longer than the briefest of flickers.... the damage is already done. Pete Roper can add a bit more, but basically the threshold on the idiot light is so close to critical, that by the time it trips, the mains may already be cooked.

I had my light come on once, and only briefly, and I had a scored main bearing and crank... although it can't be confirmed the two were correlated :unsure:

But 1-2 seconds is a pretty long time a 3k RPM.

These bikes have an unbaffled, flat and broad sump with the pickup in the *front* of the sump, so if the oil level is just a little low, under hard acceleration the pickup can suck air... which = bad. This is also why wheelies are often less than recommended with these bikes. To offset this issue, deep sump kits are available, and one proto windage plate has been made.... but the easiest fix is regular checking of oil level.

Again though, I don't want to panic you, as even with these points... we've seen very few motors have damage from any of the conditions/scenarios above. It is rare.

We also have had several folks find faulty oil pressure senders, that regardless of oil pressure, tripped the light. So there's the "don't panic" disclaimer :thumbsup:

First and foremost, never rely on the idiot light.... and be sure to check the oil level on the bike with it *vertical*, never on it's side-stand. You have to screw the dipstick all the way in, then back out, for an accurate reading... again, with the bike *vertical*... otherwise you will read the level too high on the dipstick.

Of course, you can also "recalibrate" the dipstick for sidestand levels easy enough, but the OEM markings are again, for vertical testing.

Oh, and while we are talking about the stock dipstick(which sucks BTW :moon: ) ... if you drill a few holes through the center, at the high, low, and maybe a couple between... you can read the level MUCH easier than without.

Now, about your rattle... I have no idea :rolleyes:

Honestly, it's hard to tell. All I can recommend is continued "listening", on and off the bike, and maybe from someone riding beside you. Like all things mechanical, especially with your perspective above the bike, moving... it could be coming from a number of places.

Here's one suggestion though... check the oil-cooler brackets. If your bike didn't have the faulty 99-01 aluminum brackets retrofitted with the steel units, the aluminum units are very prone to breakage due to vibration, and could be making the sounds you observe. If you still have the aluminum brackets, you may still be able to get a dealer and MGNA to replace them for free as it was sortof an unofficial recall item. If not, they aren't expensive and many dealers stock them.

Good luck, and let us know about your oil level inspection...

al

First one sounds like pre-ignition to me, which typically occurs low revs/high load. Too much load at revs, bad petrol, FI badly set, timing out, or too hot?

Al's covered the big one... & if oil pressure has been lost, first noise could be related - little/big ends?

KB

Guest KingKraz

Funny thing is, this happened just a few hours after I check the oil level at the gas station, just b/c. I'm sure the oil level is good, although I do agree, the dipstick does suck.

:glare::huh2:

Dunno....

kraz

Guest KingKraz

Oh yeah, the FI could be a bit off. It has some kinda pipes on it with a crossover and FIM (?) Download. It seems a bit rich sometimes at idle, but it never backfires really.

It probably wasn't running hot as I just finished 6 miles at 60mph in 6th gear in about 45-50 degrees F.

kraz

1) could be preignition, but if it's really a rattle, then check things like fasteners- oil cooler bracket, both exhausts, things like that. :huh2:

2) you might also verify that you do have oil pressure. Pop off a valve cover and both spark plugs and crank the motor over. Oil should seep out of the rockers. If you want to do it right, then drop the oil pan, clean it out and have the bypass tested. Since it is still under warranty, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and have it looked into.

Jason

The dipstick really is difficult to read, interesting idea on the hole drilling. I'll try that.

As to proper oil level, my bike (2004) shows signs of being overfilled by the previous owner with oil in the airbox and oily residue around the breather fittings in the spine.

So, what is proper oil level? Full or 1/2 full?

...what is proper oil level?  Full or 1/2 full?...

Cos of stories of oil starvation under hard acceleration I keep mine up to max or even slightly over. Not had a problem with this so far.

KB

Cos of stories of oil starvation under hard acceleration I keep mine up to max or even slightly over. Not had a problem with this so far.

KB

45452[/snapback]

OK, why is the pickup not at the back? :luigi:

Guest KingKraz

Ok, I added about 1/2 quart of oil to get it completely full. Hopefully the problem never comes back. I'll be giving it a an oil change soon. Also, I think I need to change the transmission fluid as it doesn't look that great through the window. I guess I'll go ahead and lube the driveshaft and stuff as well.

kraz

...OK, why is the pickup not at the back? .../quote]

...then you could have starvation under braking? No idea. I haven't even looked inside the sump of mine yet...

...I need to change the transmission fluid as it doesn't look that great through the window. ...

Change all fluids sap I think. If the gbox oil is emulsified (got water in it, looks milky) which can happen, it'll do no good at all.

Guzzi rec'd check eng oil after running motor for a minute or so (circulates oil) so I presume that's the level they design the dipstick marks to. As Al says - bike level, dipstick screwed full home, then removed. I do it from cold.

KB :sun:

If you want to see what oil starvation does to the bottom end of your motor take a squizz at these pics.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=5byetdcf.6as4iikj&x=0&y=ktp5rz

This is the remanents of a Cali IIIi I had in that blew up. If you want the whole sorry saga I can post up the damage report I wrote for the customer. Good news is that the shop responsible have put their hands up and admitted fault.

Pete.