• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rover as most of the british car industry once independant became part of the 70'S nationalised BMC - British leyland group. which was subsequently sold off and broken back down into seperate parts.

So Land Rover and Range Rover were once part of same group.

Rover fans will point out that they once were innovators - made a jet car - and produced some fast sporty saloons (60's and 70's) Became number two in the prestige league after Jaguar/Daimler. Sold off with big share owned by Honda made competent badge engineered versions of Hondas. Honda went and was replaced briefly by BMW who kept only the Mini and they still make fairly competent small, medium and large hatch/saloon/estate variants. With sporty versions by MG. I'm a bit confused with who owns what in the British Car industry these days. I think its only TVR and Reliant (I’m not sure they're still trading) left. Globalisation - take to the streets, arise. I could do with the overtime.

I'm a bit confused with who owns what in the British Car industry these days. I think its only TVR and Reliant

45878[/snapback]

Don't forget Caterham, Westfield, Marcos, Noble and Ariel. I belive these are all still British, although very small and catering for sports car nuts only.

I've long been a Lotus fan but they are owned by Proton these days, the same guys who now own Kenny Roberts Moto GP team.

TVRs are like Guzzis- unique with lots of character but loads of faults and niggles in comparison to say, a Porsche.

Guy :helmet:

Caterham, Westfield, Marcos, Noble and Ariel

Caterham, Westfield, Marcos - kit cars mainly but do a turn key option,

Noble - forgot about that but in real terms even less relevent than the above

Ariel - no idea didn't know they existed

Strange thing leaders in motorsport , most of the F1 teams based here , but no indiginous volume manufacturer - strange world

Caterham, Westfield, Marcos - kit cars mainly but do a turn key option,

Strange thing leaders in motorsport , most of the F1 teams based here , but no indiginous volume manufacturer - strange world

45907[/snapback]

Yes it seems that the UK is no longer a manufacturing country- more of a technology base. Much cheaper to build it elsewhere.

Ariel make a car called an Atom- absolutely no bodywork and you have to wear waterproofs and a helemet.

May as well ride a bike when it gets to that stage!