Urgent Advice Needed

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

My daughter and her friend (female) (both age 17) want to go the Glastonbury festival together. My ex-wife thinks its MUCH too dangerous. I feel it is probably a fairly low risk, at least from the point of view of rape or murder, although there is a good chance your valuables could be nicked.

Within reason, sensible youth should have some freedom, and I am minded to let them go.

What is your opinion?

You can't keep your kids huddled away from society forever. Back packing in Africa or India, walkabout in Brixton at night, ok, maybe you should worry. Going to Glastonbury, let them go. The Sommerset constabulary will be everywhere. If you are not safe in most of England, you should think about leaving.

Ciao, Steve G.

Aaah 17! The heady joys of the open road and my BSA bantam, merrily smoking our way down sunny lanes, 10fags and a fiver in my pocket.Bliss. Funny, life has it's ups and downs,but few are as memorable as your first summer as an "adult". "All broken down by the side of the road, I was never more alive or alone,.....gonna take it with me when I go..." as the great man said. What would you have done when you were 17 and your parents said NO! Yep do it anyway and sort out the fallout later in my case. Make them aware of the dangers and pitfalls, get them to turn their bullshit filters up to MAX, and let them get on with it. They'll make mistakes,do the right thing,do the wrong thing, exasperate you to the point of rage and make you the proudest dad in the world, all sometimes in one day if my lot are anything to go by! John, proud father of 1 son 15 yrs old ,daughter of 9 yrs, stepdad to 4 girls aged 21, 19, 16 and 11.

I took my little brother to Glastonbury when I was 20 and he was 17. It's remarkably well policed, crowd controlled and we had a great time. I remember being really sunburned though so i'd pack some sunscreen :)

Glastonbury is all about making money under the guise of alternatism so I wouldnt worry too much about security and safety issues. I think a weekend trip to London would be more risky :)

Hopefully by this age you would have let her have little freedoms and responsiblities which she has accepted acted appropriatly and been rewarded with yet more. Untill she is ready to walk unaided in the world. But can allways count on your support.

A parent allways worries for their children. You hear something on the news and you allways worry that yours are possibly caught up in it. Even though you know its irrational.

I would be reasured that she's going with a friend. Hopefully they are both fairly sensible and make sensible informed choices.

She's unlikely to become a victim of serious crime, but petty crime could be rife. But could be totaly illiminated by simple precautions.

My concern would be drugs. There likely to be readily available. The more she knows about them the better informed her decisions would be. She's of an age where she probably has encountered drugs before and her mind could allready be set.

I would let them go. But tell her of your concerns.

After seeing both ours off on their own...one 26, the other 22...and recalling my youth---she learned everything she was going to learn from you by the time she was four. Let her go, she'll be fine. k

Yeah, my younger son was planning to go too (with friends). Obtaining tickets seems to be difficult though?? so that might knock it on the head for your daughter???

It now seems son probably won't be going as his friends are going to see U2 and they can't afford to pay £150!!! for a U2 ticket and go to Glastonbury as well. Maybe you could try that one – buy her a U2 ticket.

I went to similar festivals when I was the same age and it never hurt me- Van Halen / AC/DC etc.

I had friends who were banned by their parents and they just felt excluded big time.

All part of growing up- let them do it but as Martin says, make sure they know they are well informed about drugs and watch out for Scousers nicking tents!

Guy :helmet:

.......make sure they know they are well informed about drugs and watch out for Scousers nicking tents!

Guy  :helmet:

That's very importand, remember we live in 21st century, things back in the eighties were not so extreme as today I believe.

That's very importand, remember we live in 21st century, things back in the eighties were  not so extreme as today I believe.

47634[/snapback]

I wonder! What will our children tell their children that they went without as they grew up? It all ends up sounding the same to me.

I wonder! What will our children tell their children that they went without as they grew up? It all ends up sounding the same to me.

That sound a bit all in vain situation.So is this a reason of not parenting the children and guide them to sertain values and moral?

Guest Nogbad
Be sure to provide your daughter with condoms.

But don't let your wife know you contributed to her protection, it will just make her more paranoid. :2c:

47675[/snapback]

The worry was never that she would seek out trouble and be stupid, it was that the festival would be full of potential murderers / rapists / pushers and thieves. I'm sure there will be a few of the latter two types, but fairly unlikely to be many, if any of the first 2! Anyway she knows all about safe s*x and is picky to boot, so I have no worries there.

Being as this year it is all fenced off, full of PC plod, and attendees must have pre-bought tickets and photo ID to get in, it is probably safer than a night out in Guildford!