Modifications and Insurance

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I am intrigued by all the talk of Power Commanders, race pipes and other such things, but no-one ever mentions what their insurance companies say about it. In my experience it is hard to get cover for a modified bike of any kind, and if you do the premiums are astronomical.

Either there are a load of very rich people on here, or else there are a lot of "standard" bikes with mods.... Which is it?

When I recently re-did my insurance, the new company asked if there were modifications greater than $1000 on the bike.. I fit under the level.

I guess insurance companies here are looking for those modifications from a replacement value perspective.. Not sure that they look to raise the rates because the modification indicate you're a fast rider and/or that the bike is now faster because of the modifications.

Other thoughts?

Guest Nogbad
When I recently re-did my insurance, the new company asked if there were modifications greater than $1000 on the bike..  I fit under the level.

I guess insurance companies here are looking for those modifications from a replacement value perspective..    Not sure that they look to raise the rates because the modification indicate you're a fast rider and/or that the bike is now faster because of the modifications.

Other thoughts?

48077[/snapback]

US insurers must have a more enlightened attitude. In the UK, any mod, particularly of the "go faster" kind seems to be a green flag to set the tills ringing.

I am intrigued by all the talk of Power Commanders, race pipes and other such things, but no-one ever mentions what their insurance companies say about it. In my experience it is hard to get cover for a modified bike of any kind, and if you do the premiums are astronomical.

Either there are a load of very rich people on here, or else there are a lot of "standard" bikes with mods.... Which is it?

48069[/snapback]

I just say it has aftermarket silencers and air filter- still makes less than the 90bhp Guzzi claim so it hasnt enhanced performance!

Guest Nogbad
I've never been asked about mods  :huh2:

48096[/snapback]

What is it about Britain? Fuggin uptight ruddy country full of do-goodin' nosy blighters.. What happened to the freedom we fought for???? :(

.... even in eco-nazi California(which generally I don't mind BTW), no insurer I've ever dealt with asks about modifications :huh2:

Now, in regards to "replacement value", that can be a different story. If you crash your $7000USD bike, then claim that you had $3000USD in "accessories" and "modifications", you had better bring a ton of documentation of the costs, and what a similarly equipped bike might sell for. Even then it can be dicey.

In almost all but the most fortunate of cases where the underwriter was being very generous, I often just assume that any extras I've added to the base bike would be "lost" if the bike were totalled :(

al

Guest Nogbad

Al,

Here its difficult to get insurance on a modified bike at all, never mind get the "real" value back if anything does happen to it.

I was thinking of fitting a "My15M" ecu but am worried about the attitude of the insurer because it woudn't be a straight OEM replacement.

Guest Nogbad
Most of the British riders on this forum have modified bikes- in fact if you go to a Guzzi rally like the V Twin, standard unmodified Guzzis are as rare as rocking horse poo.

Just do it!!

Guy  :helmet:

48100[/snapback]

What? Just do it and don't tell them???? :o

Guest motomaniac

Yeah, just do it and don't tell them. You may have to eat a little cost if you crash, but IMO it's probably cheaper than paying exhorbant insurance rates over time.

Guest Nogbad

Insurance companies are just voracious evil corporate devils with an insatiable appetite for YOUR money.

What is it about Britain? Fuggin uptight ruddy country full of do-goodin' nosy blighters.. What happened to the freedom we fought for????  :(

Insurance companies are just voracious evil corporate devils with an insatiable appetite for YOUR money.

I guess that the freedom we fought for (or better our anchesters fought for)

Is the freedom to be given to big companies &co (Gonv.ect.ect.). to ask from us (the people) whatever they may rule.Or about so, the freebom of them to rule us the way they want.Simple isn't it?

you mean government.com, inc.

I've been asked about modifications, but I usually just mention my fairing. It isn't covered by insurance...neither are the bags for that matter.

J