clutch noise

Guest burke

Guest burke

sorry for the barrage of questions but I just need to know all the quirks of my new bike.

I am new to the dry clutch and am not sure what is normal. I fired up the beast just now and with the clutch pulled in in, a clickity clank sound comes from the clutch. If I let the clutch out in nuetral or in gear the sound goes away. Is it normal for the dry clutch to make noise like this when pulled in?

Can I just pull the front cover off to look at it (i.e. is it really dry)?

sorry for the barrage of questions but I just need to know all the quirks of my new bike.

I am new to the dry clutch and am not sure what is normal.  I fired up the beast just now and with the clutch pulled in in, a clickity clank sound comes from the clutch.  If I let the clutch out in nuetral or in gear the sound goes away.  Is it normal for the dry clutch to make noise like this when pulled in? 

Can I just pull the front cover off to look at it (i.e. is it really dry)?

48216[/snapback]

The sound is normal. It is not behind the front cover, that is the alternator. The clutch is between the transmission and the engine and there is timing hole on the right side that has a rubber plug in it. You can see some of the clutch from there, but not much. At any rate, the clatter is perfectly normal. Try not to adjust the clutch for minimum free through, you may drive the clutch pushrod through parts of the engine you don't want to. Accessing the clutch for repairs is a non-trivial job.

you should hear the new Ducati's with the exposed dry clutches WHOA they make one heckofa clickety clank Its totally nothing to worry about.  :thumbsup:

...LOL yes , first time I heared those Duck clutsch noises I thought the machine was damaged.Always something clinging inside there.

I thought the sound went the other way! When the clutch lever is pulled in you don't hear the clank...when you let out the clutch lever, you hear the sound. Mayabe we are saying the same thing...I guess when you pull in the clutch lever, the clutch is out (disengaged)? :blush:

I thought the sound went the other way!  When the clutch lever is pulled in you don't hear the clank...when you let out the clutch lever, you hear the sound.  Mayabe we are saying the same thing...I guess when you pull in the clutch lever, the clutch is out (disengaged)? :blush:

48230[/snapback]

You have a Scura with the single-plate clutch. It's noises are "opposite" from the standard dual-plate clutch as described above.

The single-plate unit came on the Scura, Tenni, and Rosso Mandello.

Do a search for "Single Plate Clutch" and you'll find several threads, some of which may leave you concerned unfortunately... as there have been a few failures reported :unsure:

al

...Do a search for "Single Plate Clutch" and you'll find several threads, some of which may leave you concerned...

...or then again, maybe don't...what you don't know won't worry you...

KB :sun:

My Rosso Mandello's clutch rattles in nuetral when the clutch lever is not pulled in. When I pull in the lever it quiets right down. If you dont count the tappety valves & high idle engine noise lol :mg: Dont worry about the single plate clutch theyre fine (except when they explode through the tranny case :homer: ) Which almost never happens <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:">

Guest rosso mandello

Am I right when i think, that the Rosso Mandello has a German (bvadr) single plate clutch, that sounds terrible but never has failed, and that the clutch in Tenni and Scura is the problem, because they are copies of the original clutch.

And for the noise, that is the sound of racing. Do yourself a favor and get used to it, you can´t get rid of it.

Mogens.

Am I right when i think, that the Rosso Mandello has a German (bvadr) single plate clutch, that sounds terrible but never has failed, and that the clutch in Tenni and Scura is the problem, because they are copies of the original clutch.

And for the noise, that is the sound of racing. Do yourself a favor and get used to it, you can´t get rid of it.

Mogens.

48278[/snapback]

I don't think it was ever settled with regard to who made the single plate clutches in the RM, Scura, and Tenni. Many have suggested it is a RAM copy, but again, it is open to debate I think :huh2:

There is a ton of info here, all 16 pages of it, although the last 5 pages or so seem to have drifted off-topic a bit :P

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3520

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2659&hl=clutch

al

The one Scura clutch I've seen was definitely made by RAM. Dunno about the Tenni.

All the twin platers will rattle when the clutch lever is pulled in, (I'm not game to start an argument about when a clutch is 'Engaged' and when it isn't :D ) because the friction plates and intermediate plate are then free to rattle in or on their respective splines as the power pulses of the engine cycling cause the wheel to accelerate and decellerate throughout the cycle. It's for this reason that it's imperative that the idle be set highish at around 1200rpm or the splines get flogged out remarkably quickly. The problem is exacerbated by the very light nature of the V11 flywheel and if the throttle body ballance is out and you should really try to avoid sitting stationary at traffic lights or the like with the clutch pulled in.

Pete