Battery lifetime

Guest bordsenius

Oh boy, So, Odyssey no longer recommends Deltran

Charging ODYSSEY® Batteries

Since September 1, 2003 Deltran has discontinued the SuperSmart Power Tender (Deltran Part Number 022-0071-1) originally recommended by EnerSys. Neither the 12V, 6A Power Tender Plus (P/N 022-0157-1) nor the 12V, 5A Portable Power Tender (P/N 022-0142-DL-WH) charger manufactured by Deltran Corporation are recommended by EnerSys for use with ODYSSEY® batteries of any size.

Deltran’s Power Tender Plus (P/N 022-0157-1) or the Portable Power Tender (P/N 022-0142-DL-WH) charger MUST NOT BE USED with ODYSSEY® batteries. Doing so will damage the battery and void the warranty

RECOMMENDED CHARGERS FOR POWERSPORTS APPLICATIONS

(PC535, PC545, PC625, PC680, PC925)

There are two types of chargers for powersports applications, depending on the way the battery is used. The first type is the cyclic use charger, required in situations where the battery will be deeply discharged each time and must be recharged relatively quickly.  All recommended chargers can be connected and operated indefinitely.

The second type is the storage use charger, required when the battery must be maintained at a high state of charge. Custom V-twin motorcycles are a typical application requiring this type of charger. These bikes are typically ridden for short distances and the battery has to provide multiple starts. Several days’ of this type of usage causes the battery to fail prematurely due to insufficient charge. A storage use charger must be connected to the battery whenever the bike is not in use. This will keep the battery at a high state of charge and eliminate premature failure due to repeated undercharge.

TecMate  AccuMate Pro 12V-7A-S  Motion Pro Inc. 650-594-9600

Xenotronix SX 90-1  12V, 6A  Xenotronix    800-624-9366

Motocell™  693601  12V, 3A  Custom Chrome 800-729-3332

Battery Defender  ACC-1206WB  12V, 3A  BatteryMart.com 800-405-2121

© Copyright 2005 Enersys - All rights reserved.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drat. The maintenance for the Odyssey batteries is starting to be clear as mud! It looks as though the manufacturer is recommending a trickle charger although Steve G. appears to disagree. I have two battery tenders, the small ones. Once is a typical model and the other is the overpriced BMW one intended for dry cell batteries. Time to cross my fingers I guess. All of my battery failures to date have been case failures or accidental shorting (long and embarrassing story on that one...) and not degradation during the lifetime of the battery. Whatever that is, since I've wound up replacing all of mine at least once due to other reasons well within the normal life-span of the item. Thankfully, they're much cheaper than they were initially. In 1998, the Odyssesy retailed for $168. Thanks to Dave Laing's researching, they can be had for about a third of that. BTW Dave, what were the particulars on that battery source you found?

It looks as though the manufacturer is recommending a trickle charger although Steve G. appears to disagree.

And I would not completely disagree with Steve.

You should not just hook up any trickle charger.

You need a "smart" charger.

Or you have to keep the charging voltage between 14.2 and 14.7 V without overcharging it, and when it goes into trickle state the voltage should be something like 13.2 V or was that 13.0 or 13.1????

My guess is that your BMW charger is just what you need.

I would not be suprised if the Deltran is still a fine charger for the Odyssey, as it seems to operate within the required voltage...but the two companies are feuding.

The Deltran does have a higher maximum voltage than the currently recommended chargers.

It could be that the Deltran keeps it at that voltage for too long....so the warranty claims probably rolled in with each blaming each other...(just guessing :huh2: )

BTW Dave, what were the particulars on that battery source you found?

about $70 plus shipping. I think I have seen similar prices on eBay.

The link is in the first post of this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...hawker++odyssey

I'm not buying the Deltran info. I suspect they are having a problem of some sort and did not investigate completely. I really don't care how they measure or rate cranking ... proof is in the pudding and my pudding has been just fine. Going on 5 years on the Odyssey duals, and not a problem. Winched a Hummer 2 out of a jam for 15 minutes and both batteries recharged completely on the drive home.

After reading this I went out and measured both the Goose and the D. All batteries still fully charged.

I wouldn't pay attention to the Deltran statement until I see some proof, preferably from someone here or God forbid, from my own vehicles.

Oh, I forgot ... I have one of these in my 00 Road King. Different model# tho. Best battery I've had. Always a fast start (it should be a beast to start with the bigger pistons and compression bump).

:2c:

When I bought the Guzzi unit back in Dec, portable power systems charged me $62.

Now show me yours.

Awesome Series! I really like the trailer. I wonder how I'd look traversing the colorado trails with that in tow!

Mine's a cream puff. 97 SW. Not as manly looking as yours BFG. But still very capable, as you know. Love these vehicles. I'll have to snap a pic or two, now that I see a fellow rover man here.

Jim

I just bought a Yuasa YTX12-BS. It will arrive next week.

I hope Paul is right about this battery.

WWW.MARKTPLAATS.NL

Aangeboden: Nieuwe aprilia accu

Prijs: € 50,00

Beschrijving: Accu nieuw

Type: YTX12-BS

Merk: Yuasa

Hoort in elke 1000cc Aprilia

Opsturen is een mogelijkheid

Adverteerder

Naam: Hans Soeterboek (E-mail de adverteerder) (Alle advertenties)

Telefoonnummer: 06-26742300/040-2547165

Provincie: Noord-Brabant

in anser to bordsenius...

My Scura battery is 34 months old, and has served 23,000 miles. Despite hooking it up to an Optimate when left for more than a couple of days it is now giving symptoms similar to yours - seems reluctant to take a full charge. Here in the UK an OEM replacement costs about £90 (don't know how many kroner!).

Batteries are like women - if you abuse them or don't give them what they really need - regular and loving attention - they refuse to perform!

Robin

I just bought a Yuasa YTX12-BS. It will arrive next week.

I hope Paul is right about this battery.

WWW.MARKTPLAATS.NL

Aangeboden: Nieuwe aprilia accu

Prijs: € 50,00

Beschrijving: Accu nieuw

Type: YTX12-BS

Merk: Yuasa

Hoort in elke 1000cc Aprilia

Opsturen is een mogelijkheid

Adverteerder

Naam: Hans Soeterboek (E-mail de adverteerder) (Alle advertenties) 

Telefoonnummer: 06-26742300/040-2547165

Provincie: Noord-Brabant

50050[/snapback]

Battery is OK!!!

Only the +/- are inverted and it's a little improvisation how to solve this little problem. But the motor start the engine good without any problem.

BTW, the battery has to lie down on his belly. This would be any problem, because this battery has used standard on the Suzuki TL 1000 and there is the battery on his belly too.

Thanks Paul.

Guest bordsenius

Thanks for all the replys.

I have ended up with a odyssey pc 545 battery, here in norway it set me back NOK 1280 , which is about 200 us dollars. It looks exactly like the original battery, down to the last curve and sign on the plastic. They must either use the same manufacturer for the casing, or they are the same batteries.

The price for the original battery here is nok 1985, whic translates to about 315 us. dollars. So it turns out the Odyssey was a bargain!

Everything bike-related is bloody expensive here, the bike itself, a V11 2001, set me back 27980 us.dollars. Still worth every penny though!

Now I just hope the battery lasts a bit longer than 4 years..

Stig

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yuasa

Paul,

YTZ14S would be even better. It is the same size as the YTZ12S (210cca), but it is 230cca.

Used on the Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit, and ST1300.

And it can lay in any direction.

FYI - the YTX15L-BS is the correct size, but not recommended to be laying down on it's back.

YTX12-BS should not be laid on it's back either. But both the YTX15L-BS and the YTX12-BS can be laid on it's belly and be OK.

Keep in mind any battery with an "L" in the part number has the negative on the Left .... thus the "L"

Alan

Paul,

YTZ14S would be even better. It is the same size as the YTZ12S (210cca), but it is 230cca.

Used on the Honda VT750DC Shadow Spirit, and ST1300.

And it can lay in any direction.

FYI - the YTX15L-BS is the correct size, but not recommended to be laying down on it's back.

YTX12-BS should not be laid on it's back either. But both the YTX15L-BS and the YTX12-BS can be laid on it's belly and be OK.

Keep in mind any battery with an "L" in the part number has the negative on the Left .... thus the "L"

Alan

52616[/snapback]

Which side is the 'back' and which is the 'belly'?

Stig Bored Senseless asked about batteries - my V11 Scura battery displayed the same symptoms as yours - poor starting - after 2.5 years/22,000 miles - the answer was found by replacing the old battery with a new one - instant improvement - problems disappeared!

Guess batteries are like people - they have a finite life - not necessarily determined by the number of miles or times started, but rather by the work they do during their life. Whilst riding I stopped for many fags and cuppas, so did many starts - but 22,000 miles on one battery at 100 quid is still good value - compared to the alternative of mowing the grass or painting the kitchen!

Robin

Guest Yuasa

"belly" otherwise know as the FRONT is the side with all the writing on it (Brand name, part number, etc.) and the terminals.

In other words.... terminals facing down, would be on it's belly.

Terminals facing up would be on it's back.

Alan