Battery lifetime

Guest bordsenius

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original battery on my '00 V11 Sport is still in operation, just not on that bike. I had to replace it last year because it was leaking along the top edge. Replaced it with a pc 545 Odyssey. Put the original leaky one in my SP, terminal side up. I keep everything charged with a Yuasa 900ma battery tender. No problems.

Works for me.

Edo

'00 V11 Sport

'83 1000SP

• 1 year later...

FYI - the YTX15L-BS is the correct size, but not recommended to be laying down on it's back.

YTX12-BS should not be laid on it's back either. But both the YTX15L-BS and the YTX12-BS can be laid on it's belly and be OK.

Keep in mind any battery with an "L" in the part number has the negative on the Left .... thus the "L"

Alan

My bike (Sport 1100i ) does have a YTX15L-BS , went around a bit and found some made in Taiwan batteries,

should I trust any of these?

I heared that the Yuasa are made in indonesia, is this true? Should where is it made matter? :huh2:

:bier:

I'm quite pleased to report that my original Spark 500 battery from 2001, even after sitting idly in the corner for nearly 2 yrs (no charger - nada), is working just fine. I fully expected to have to buy a Hawker this spring. It would seem that, in my case anyway, it is quite happy to be completely ignored.

Measured across the terminals, expecting them to be quite terminal, to be 12.5V. Stuck it back in the bike and she fired right up!

Haven't put a charger on it since I bought the bike... of course, now that I've said that...

Rj

Guest Nogbad

My original Spark is still going after 7 years exactly. Not bad. Certainly not the terrible quality battery it has been made out to be.

My Spark made it 5 1/2 years, amazing for a motorcycle battery! But the Hawker makes the Sport run much happier at 12.8 v than the Spark's later days at 12.5 v. Apparently the ECU, TPS and even the fuel level sensor are voltage sensitive.

Apparently, the Ducati 1098 is also running a voltage sensitive ecu. I was told to make sure the battery was properly charged in the pre-delivery setup so as to run 14+ volts.

Wick

My bike (Sport 1100i ) does have a YTX15L-BS , went around a bit and found some made in Taiwan batteries,

should I trust any of these?

I heared that the Yuasa are made in indonesia, is this true? Should where is it made matter? :huh2:

:bier:

When the orginal battery failed by leaking within 2 weeks, I did a lot of research on the cause of the problem, and ended up using my long term (30+years) favorite, Yuasa.

The Yuasa YTX15L has the correct polarity and comes factory prepared. Yuasa does not recommend the -BS for horizontal applications. In North America, Bombardier in Canada is the source.

On my '04 Cafe Sport, I had to bend the front legs of the battery support down 5/8" to keep the weight of the seat off the battery case, and also had to carve a piece out of the plastic seat base near the battery terminal for the same reason. It did the carving with a Dremel tool and filled the hole with silicon rubber silastic compound. This has performed fine since I installed it one year ago, and with many years of good experience with Yuasa, I do not expect any. Time will tell.

I have no experience on whether Indonesia has the same quality control as Japan, but I would expect Yuasa to be diligent about that.