Rosso Corsa paint question.....

Guest Troutrider

Guest Troutrider

I am a bit disappointed that the rear section and cowl cover aren't clear coated over the stickers as the tank and fairing are. I wonder if they can be clear coated as well? Has anyone tried this? I just worry what the stickers will look like a few years down the road.

Troutrider

Yes everything can be clearcoated.Dunno though if this was a mistake from the company (not to lay protective coat over the sticker) and or if you should contact dealer about it (fo warantee ect/ect/)

Last year I have, extra, clearcoated the tank on my 1100i enough so that the sticker has tha same level with the rest surface, it looks like a china-class now sometimes...LOL :D

Guest slowpoke

Yes they can be clearcoated however, if there is any question just fog it in with a very light coat then let dry over night and lightly scuff with 320 dry or 600-1000 wet and spray the whole thing and then wet sand with 1500-2000 the next day and buff with a high quality (3M) medium buffing compound followed by 3M "perfect-it" and voila' it will look great!

Guest ratchethack

Slowpoke, looks like we could use a Guy like you at Saturday's Guzzi Clinic, 7:30 AM.

This week's agenda:

Bleeding brakes & clutch

Installing new speedo cable

Fork and shock spring wars ...er, I mean, discussion

PCIII map & TPS adjustment

What else you got?

Rgds.,

Ratchethack

I don't know what sort of finish is on the gloss bikes, but the clearcoat on the mat / matte finish Scura seems quite soft to me. I previously posted pictures of the clearcoat peeling off my fuel tank. I'm currently working on the tailpiece and have decided to completely rub it down rather than paint on top of the clearcoat finish. I found that a little solvent, such as in a new coat of paint, made the topcoat soft and rubbery so that it would rub/peel off by hand. The coloured coats underneath are harder.

But as I say, perhaps the glossy bikes have a harder finish.

But as I say, perhaps the glossy bikes have a harder finish.

It all depends on the quality of the coat used and the conditions to dry in order to achieve best hardness, some solvent and benzin as well(the latter in more often-or permanent touch in same point )can make any coat peel off anytime, be sure.

Proper cleaning (with right cleaners)at all places is an essencial to keep the life of the coat for longer time.