Piaggio Question

k7qz

Hi V50

Well thats good news because the UK Lotus forums used to be inundated by guys from the States who were desperate to get hold of one but could only buy one for track use.

The newer models now have a Toyota engine- mine is the series one with a Rover K series lump chosen because it has an aluminium block. You are dead right about low weight- the car only weighs 1540 pounds (700kgs).

I used to lust after a Spitfire when I was a kid- my next door neighbour had one and used to gaze at it every day.

What colour are you going to chose for your Elise?

Regards

Guy

Hi V50

Well thats good news because the UK Lotus forums used to be inundated by guys from the States who were desperate to get hold of one but could only buy one for track use.

The newer models now have a Toyota engine- mine is the series one with a Rover K series lump chosen because it has an aluminium block. You are dead right about low weight- the car only weighs 1540 pounds (700kgs).

I used to lust after a Spitfire when I was a kid- my next door neighbour had one and used to gaze at it every day.

Regards

Guy

52197[/snapback]

I'm thinking Aztec Bronze.  Maybe Racing Green.

Guest aironepony
what the hell kind of car do they still make in the UK?  :huh2:

52191[/snapback]

Kit cars; like the Elise.................. :thumbsup:

Guest philbo
Hi guys:

I received my broken English "here's your warranty number" letter from MG a few days ago.

The letterhead listed Aprilia, Laverda and Moto Guzzi.  This brought on a moment of nostalgia for me as my first street bike was a '72 Laverda 750 (which I bought "new" in '74).

Is Laverda still alive and well and is Piaggio the parent company for Laverda also?  (Sounds like Aprilia will be moving under the BMW banner though)

I still daydream about that Laverda, something about your first love I guess.... :wub:

Ride safe-

Mike

51515[/snapback]

I ran the Jota for a while back in the early 80's. At the time, it was the fastest bike on the road - I loved that bike.  :race:

Dinnae go wavin that too hard in the highlands,young man. Thae clansmen hae long memories!! They'll get ye drunk,take ye up intae the hills,then cook ye and eat ye!!!! I heard this from a pal of mine who heard it from a friend of his. :thumbsup:

52190[/snapback]

Its ok Big J I have a plan- if I am attacked by blue faced skirt wearers I will chuck them some clumps of turf from Wembley stadium and some deep fried Mars Bars- that will keep them off my trail for a while!

Hi V50

Regards

Guy

52197[/snapback]

I love the Elise but they are SOOO impractical and not all that impressive in the numbers but I assume its more of a feeling and a love affair like the Guzzi. I mean I'd still love to have one for a summer car or if I didn't have a motorcycle and next summer possibly two, Motorcycles are just so cheap to own and operate in this state, And cars are not at all. Plate tags alone would probably be $500 a year for 10 years. :huh2: not to mention the insurance ick. but if I had the money.... I'd save it and buy a Ferrari :lol:

I love the Elise but they are SOOO impractical and not all that impressive in the numbers but I assume its more of a feeling and a love affair like the Guzzi. I mean I'd still love to have one for a summer car or if I didn't have a motorcycle and next summer possibly two, Motorcycles are just so cheap to own and operate in this state, And cars are not at all. Plate tags alone would probably be $500 a year for 10 years.  :huh2: not to mention the insurance ick. but if I had the money.... I'd save it and buy a Ferrari  :lol:

52297[/snapback]

Yep it is a bit impractical- I can get more luggage on my Jackal but I used it as daily transport for 3 years with no problems- it does 40mpg (imperial) due to the low state of engine tune and low mass.

By numbers, look at lap times not bhp or top speed. It will embarrass much more expensive supercars and is much quicker than my V11 on twisty roads due to the extra grip from 4 fat tyres. V11 would eat it in a straight line or on fast sweepers though.

Even the heavier version of the Elise they sell in the states would eat the new Corvette or Viper for breakfast around a twisty racetrack, even though on paper they have much more muscle. Its all about finesse not brute force!

It also reminds you what driving a car should be like- no power steering, no ABS, no servo brakes (just like a bike), no electric windows, no cup holders (who invented those!), no carpets and no stereo as standard.

If you ever visit the UK I'll take you out for a spin and show you what I mean!

Regards

Guy :helmet:

P.S Back to Guzzis now! :race:

Yep it is a bit impractical- I can get more luggage on my Jackal but I used it as daily transport for 3 years with no problems- it does 40mpg (imperial) due to the low state of engine tune and low mass.

By numbers, look at lap times not bhp or top speed. It will embarrass much more expensive supercars and is much quicker than my V11 on twisty roads due to the extra grip from 4 fat tyres. V11 would eat it in a straight line or on fast sweepers though.

Even the heavier version of the Elise they sell in the states would eat the new Corvette or Viper for breakfast around a twisty racetrack, even though on paper they have much more muscle. Its all about finesse not brute force!

It also reminds you what driving a car should be like- no power steering, no ABS, no servo brakes (just like a bike), no electric windows, no cup holders (who invented those!), no carpets and no stereo as standard.

If you ever visit the UK I'll take you out for a spin and show you what I mean!

Regards

Guy  :helmet:

P.S Back to Guzzis now!  :race:

52327[/snapback]

If I goto the UK (and I'd like to soonish) I'll throw up a thread on here and ppl can tell me where to go so I don't get raped by tourist rates and avoid looking like a gerneral fool on the streets. Also I'll say I'm from canda eh. :lol: And if anyone wants to give me a ride to show me well anything I'll pay for Gas and a pint of whatever youre drinking. :bier:

About Laverda it would be nice if they came back as a Over the Top, Top of the Line Performance bike small productions single maybe two models something to take on the MV agusta market (that market is expanding a little) Come out as must have in the motorcycle world thats what I'd like to see laverda do. but who am I to say I have only seen 2 laverdas and only 1 in person. :huh2: twas a sweet bike I must say.