Piaggio Question

k7qz

Hi guys:

I received my broken English "here's your warranty number" letter from MG a few days ago.

The letterhead listed Aprilia, Laverda and Moto Guzzi. This brought on a moment of nostalgia for me as my first street bike was a '72 Laverda 750 (which I bought "new" in '74).

Is Laverda still alive and well and is Piaggio the parent company for Laverda also? (Sounds like Aprilia will be moving under the BMW banner though)

I still daydream about that Laverda, something about your first love I guess.... :wub:

Ride safe-

Mike

laverda is from piaggio too. But they don't do anything with it. They have other prioritys. Laverda will stay asleep until they sell it, or find it time to something with it.

I can think of the Aprilia Cube 3 cil moto gp engine in a new laverda.

Guest Nogbad
(Sounds like Aprilia will be moving under the BMW banner though)

51515[/snapback]

OMG! :(

Prediction:

BMW will buy Aprilia and keep the best bits, developing a successful new model which they keep together with the most modern plant. Then they will threaten to close Guzzi. The Italian Government will sponsor the sale of Guzzi for £10 to a quartet of dodgy businessmen who will proceed to transfer all the liquid assets into their Cayman Islands pension fund. Guzzi will then produce rebadged old models for the next 5 years as sales decline and the "soft" loans expire, at which point it will go bust.

"The safest prediction of tomorrow is what happened yesterday"

OMG!  :(

Prediction:

BMW will buy Aprilia and keep the best bits, developing a successful new model which they keep together with the most modern plant. Then they will threaten to close Guzzi. The Italian Government will sponsor the sale of Guzzi for £10 to a quartet of dodgy businessmen who will proceed to transfer all the liquid assets into their Cayman Islands pension fund. Guzzi will then produce rebadged old models for the next 5 years as sales decline and the "soft" loans expire, at which point it will go bust.

"The safest prediction of tomorrow is what happened yesterday"

51583[/snapback]

What a depressing thought.... :(

Unfortunately, you could well be close to the truth though! :unsure:

Nige. :vomit:

Guest Nogbad
Do a search on Rover UK's misfortune over the years BMW owned them.

52028[/snapback]

And the years Lord Nuffield owned them, and the years Leyland owned them and the years the British Government owned them and the years British Aerospace owned them....... sigh! :huh2:

When I worked there at the tender age of 18 we used to say that the only vroom in an Allegro was the vroom for improvement......

Guest aironepony
And the years Lord Nuffield owned them, and the years Leyland owned them and the years the British Government owned them and the years British Aerospace owned them....... sigh!  :huh2:

When I worked there at the tender age of 18 we used to say that the only vroom in an Allegro was the vroom for improvement......

52037[/snapback]

I remember being exhorted to "buy British". This I did to my everlasting regret. My Leyland car converted itself into iron oxide within the year.

Those were the days!

Indifferent workers, strikes every other day, and an incompetent cowering management at the mercy of the Red Robbo's of this world.............. :thumbsup:

I remember being exhorted to "buy British". This I did to my everlasting regret. My Leyland car converted itself into iron oxide within the year.

52177[/snapback]

My British car has been extremely reliable in the 4 years since I have owned it- my Japanese company car has been nothing but trouble!

A toast to good ol' Blighty there is life in you yet!

My British car has been extremely reliable in the 4 years since I have owned it- my Japanese company car has been nothing but trouble!

52184[/snapback]

Dinnae go wavin that too hard in the highlands,young man. Thae clansmen hae long memories!! They'll get ye drunk,take ye up intae the hills,then cook ye and eat ye!!!! I heard this from a pal of mine who heard it from a friend of his. :thumbsup:

52184[/snapback]

what the hell kind of car do they still make in the UK? :huh2:

It is a Lotus Elise- I don't think you can buy one in the USA because of your strict safety laws that mean cars have to have airbags and anti lock brakes etc.

I never figured why you guys were so bothered about that stuff seeing as you can carry big guns about!

It is a lot of fun if you like cars but takes second place behind the V11 in my affections.

Bikes will always be my first love- did not bother taking my car test until I was 25.

Here is a pic taken when I took it back to the factory in Hethel for a track day at their test facility.

Guy :helmet:

Guy --

They ARE available here in the US. Saw a fly yellow one today.

Wonderful cars. However, before someone else points it out, let's go ahead and admit that it's powered by a Toyota-build inline 4.

As you may recall, I own a '79 Triumph Spitfire -- and before long I will probably own an Elise.

It's not about power ---- it's about power-to-weight ration -- and handling. The Elise has gat all this in Spades.

v50