u joint

richard100t

Guest Nogbad
They are not talking about the United States of America, they are talking about the Green (Confused  :D ) State of California. Don't give the other 49 a bad rap.

51848[/snapback]

When I worked over there for a while I found NH really great, good attitude to work, like don't do too much and have some fun. Same in MN. California... couldn't be more different. We limeys were the first to leave the office at night at about 6. There seemed to be some sort of obsession that you couldn't leave before the boss there. Blimey, if the boss works late he is thinking of his share options. The way I saw it is for a humble engineer, staying late = lower hourly rate! Californians... Pah!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the picture's cr@p, but it looks like there's a flaw at 6 o'clock that was the starting point for the break. Seriously, that break looks like it was positively sheared, which ain't right. Any chance you're still under warranty?

51850[/snapback]

True- look closely at the metal and use a magnifiying glass- is it darker at either the 6 or 10 o'clock position? Any longer-term oxidation?

True- look closely at the metal and use a magnifiying glass- is it darker at either the 6 or 10 o'clock position?  Any longer-term oxidation?

51858[/snapback]

I can understand the mutual concern over this issue, as we all have the same bike. I will take many more pictures when I remove the gear from the box. Right now I'm just waiting on a rear drive so I can repair the problem. As for a warranty...I bought the bike from a private owner & its a 2001 so I think I'm toast there. Howver I will show the part to my local dealer.

I was just out looking at the broken gear & its sheared quite cleanly about less than 1/8 of an inch from the connecting u joint. Its so smooth that it looks almost like its not a break at all. I'm not a machinist but it looks like I got a bad part. Oh well like I said I'll post several good pics when its removed & on a table.