u joint

richard100t

Is there any chance of trying to weld this?

There's nothing to lose :huh2:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any chance of trying to weld this?

There's nothing to lose :huh2:

51632[/snapback]

No I dont think it would work. I wish it would but its snapped too close to the end of the part. PLus that part is under a lot of stress from riding the bike...I wouldnt trust it. Unfortunately its one of those bad luck things you get in life sometimes. If thats the worst thing that ever happens to me on a bike I'll be very happy. Besides I should have known better than to treat it like a chain driven bike.

Richard,

I may have one in a week or so away. 

I am thinking about parting out my 00 V11 Sport after the trans recall is done.  I should have the bike back next weekend if everything goes right.  I just have too many bikes right now and with the addition of the Ghezzi-Brian, one has to go.  I am planning to part out the bike and keep the engine and trans for possible updates to the Ghezzi-Brian. 

Mike

51606[/snapback]

I cannot get the 1996 Sport 1100i frame through a California inspection (Oklahoma is an unknown) and if I ride it and get caught, I lose the bike. :bbblll: Maybe we should discuss a frame/engine/pink slip swap so that I'll have matching numbers and you can part out the other stuff. I have the old bent frame, so numbers for parting wouldn't be a problem.

I cannot get the 1996 Sport 1100i frame through a California inspection (Oklahoma is an unknown) and if I ride it and get caught, I lose the bike.  :bbblll: Maybe we should discuss a frame/engine/pink slip swap so that I'll have matching numbers and you can part out the other stuff. I have the old bent frame, so numbers for parting wouldn't be a problem.

51641[/snapback]

Carl,

Can't you take the VIN plate off the old bent frame and install it on your frankenstein frame?

I don't think you have to worry about the engine numbers, I don't think they match the frame number. Look at all of the warrantee cases being replaced.

But if you still want the frame and matching pink, we can talk about it in a week or so when I get the bike back.

Mike

No I dont think it would work. I wish it would but its snapped too close to the end of the part. PLus that part is under a lot of stress from riding the bike...I wouldnt trust it.

51636[/snapback]

I agree about the problems: it's just a thought, if there is no other way to fix it, as I had a car drive shaft welded once (close to splines/u.j.).

Hey believe me I appreciate your thoughts :D Thats what this site is all about. I just hope I can get my bike back up & running for the Memorial Day national meeting in New Cumberland WV. I've been looking forward to that & I'll be bummed out if I miss it :bbblll: Well time will tell...its only money too <_ lots of money src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:"> I like to think of it as a "character building experience" lol

..its only money  lots of money  :whistle:

51647[/snapback]

should be the strapline for this forum

:2c: 000,000

should be the strapline for this forum

:2c: 000,000

51649[/snapback]

.... heh, no kidding :P

I just spent $1000 getting mine out of the shop, but it was for multiple things(engine rebuilt, balance, tires, CRG levers, etc), not just one gear :huh:

That is an odd break for sure though, so I can only imagine it must have been marginally defective :huh2: I would definitely see if it can be covered under warantee(if still covered). It seems like a freak failure.

But I also agree that welding is out of the question for parts of this type. The heating from welding would probably destroy the heat treament of the gear alone, not to mention all sorts of other issues with tolerances, etc...

As Carl mentioned, check out Reboot Spares. They are a great bunch, and if they can get it for you, they will.

Good luck :thumbsup:

al

Carl,

Can't you take the VIN plate off the old bent frame and install it on your frankenstein frame?

I don't think you have to worry about the engine numbers, I don't think they match the frame number.  Look at all of the warrantee cases being replaced.

But if you still want the frame and matching pink, we can talk about it in a week or so when I get the bike back.

Mike

51645[/snapback]

According to the knowledgable person down at my local Ducati shop, the VIN and engine numbers need the manufacturers origin paperwork. I don't have any since mine didn't come from the manufacturer. If MG replaces cases or a frame, they provide the paperwork. It may not matter in a different state, it's just that California is pretty strict on these kinds of things according to the shop person.

According to the knowledgable person down at my local Ducati shop, the VIN and engine numbers need the manufacturers origin paperwork. I don't have any since mine didn't come from the manufacturer. If MG replaces cases or a frame, they provide the paperwork. It may not matter in a different state, it's just that California is pretty strict on these kinds of things according to the shop person.

51660[/snapback]

Maybe get a title in another state then transfer it? I could see it easier to do once you have to papers.

Anyome knows how or why should the mentioned part of this topic go broken?? :huh2:

Try Stein Dinse they may have it and I don't think it will be so expencive.It is German site but the also speak English.

Wait .. I have just looked at the price catalogue for that number 01354630

it seems to be a part on the gearing section. (no photo) ,it is for Lemans V11

It's price on the price cataloge appears as 723,26Eur And judging from my latest order (receipt-cataloge price compare) It has to be VAT included price.

Good luck with the repair ;)

Put the bike on the back of a truck and bring it to the rally. You might get lucky. With 600 people there someone will say, "I know somebody who has a cousin who knows somebody who has a spine frame with an extra drivebox he's trying to give away."

Guest Nogbad
I cannot get the 1996 Sport 1100i frame through a California inspection (Oklahoma is an unknown) and if I ride it and get caught, I lose the bike.  :bbblll:

51641[/snapback]

Hey! What happened to the land of the free and all that? I thought Americans were against the Nanny State! I have to confess, I am disappointed.

Ok I think things just got worse  :bbblll: The spline thats attached to the rear u joint is whats snapped off. The spline part is still in the joint and the rest is in the rear drive axle. It looks like a lot more $$$ for that part, I just hope I can get it.

51556[/snapback]

Well, the picture's cr@p, but it looks like there's a flaw at 6 o'clock that was the starting point for the break. Seriously, that break looks like it was positively sheared, which ain't right. Any chance you're still under warranty?

Talk 2 your dealer: driveshafts aren't supposed to snap; you should've smoked the tire or killed the engine before that thing broke...

Best o' luck! :thumbsup: