Aaargh - what's broken now???

GuzzBun

:(

Riding home this evening, the Scura developed a strange noise under hard acceleration, similar to pinking but definitely not pinking - it was a sort of high pitched whistling or screeching. Pulled over and blipped the throttle - no noise (presumably 'cos it wasn't under load) BUT - clouds of blue oil smoke from both pipes AND clouds of blue smoke from under the engine (or that's where it seemed to be coming from) - no other signs of oil - no apparent leaks, and whilst riding no apparent degrade in performance.

Admission - I did 'yellow line' her on one occasion this evening - 120 indicated - but I didn't 'red line'!

Any ideas???

Robin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it use much oil? How's the clutch?Did you run over any parrots whilst yellow lining?[sorry]Is it definately burning oil or is it coming from a breather or similar and leaking onto the exhaust?

BTW, I "yellow lined" mine coming home from Scotland last night between Dundalk and Drogheda (about 25 miles), washed the old girl off tonight and the rear tyre valve came off in the sponge.Laugh? I nearly shat :wacko:

Guest Nogbad
BTW, I "yellow lined" mine coming home from Scotland last night between Dundalk and Drogheda (about 25 miles), washed the old girl off tonight and the rear tyre valve came off in the sponge.Laugh? I nearly shat :wacko:

51891[/snapback]

Better born lucky. You really would have shat if it had come off earlier. You don't by any chance have those pressure indicating caps do you? There are reports of valve fractures due to their weight over the standard cap. I assume you haven't fitted fancy lighting up "tirefly" caps as used by chavs in Vauxhall Novas..... :(

Lets start by being optimistic. Is there any chance you could have overfilled the sump?

51883[/snapback]

I haven't topped the oil recently - yesterday I did 125 miles around the Peak District - no problems. The only significant event in the past 500 miles was the 'yellow lining' this evening. Haven't checked the oil level, but will do tomorow.

Guest Nogbad
I haven't topped the oil recently - yesterday I did 125 miles around the Peak District - no problems. The only significant event in the past 500 miles was the 'yellow lining' this evening. Haven't checked the oil level, but will do tomorow.

51897[/snapback]

If the smoke cleared and the engine was normal after the incident I would suspect a simple case of excess oil being forced from the breather, or perhaps a blocked breather which can cause oil to be forced down the valve guides or past the rings if the crankcase pressure became very high. I don't know how the later breathers work, but no doubt someone will.

Did it use much oil? How's the clutch?Did you run over any parrots whilst yellow lining?[sorry]Is it definately burning oil or is it coming from a breather or similar and leaking onto the exhaust?

51885[/snapback]

Clutch is fine - no slipping. No parrot remains visible either!

Oil smoke is definitely coming out of both exhausts - is there a breather that routes into the collector box?

Robin

Guest Nogbad
Clutch is fine - no slipping. No parrot remains visible either!

Oil smoke is definitely coming out of both exhausts - is there a breather that routes into the collector box?

Robin

51905[/snapback]

If the oil smoke is coming from both exhausts and continues to do so then you may have a more serious problem. Take the plugs out and check for oil, and test the compression. Run the engine with the dipstick out and see if you have high crankcase pressure.

I was going to say check the banjo fittings for the oil recovery system, and the breather hose from the block to the frame, as these are both well known eventual leaks.... but they would just get oil ON the engine/exhaust and make a hell of a stench and smoke burning off the hot bits.... not come out of the pipes.

I would still look to see if your breather hose has deteriorated and cracked, as that is a common thing after a few years of heat, and that does make a mess.

al

Better born lucky. You really would have shat if it had come off earlier. You don't by any chance have those pressure indicating caps do you? There are reports of  valve fractures due to their weight over the standard cap. I assume you haven't fitted fancy lighting up "tirefly" caps as used by chavs in Vauxhall Novas..... :(

51896[/snapback]

Nope, standard valves, made from hard cheese by the look of it.

Guest Nogbad
Nope, standard valves, made from hard cheese by the look of it.

51913[/snapback]

Must make sure they change the valve with my tyre when its ready for a new one....