Aaargh - what's broken now???

GuzzBun

Guest ratchethack

Roger the above. Stainless bolts into stainless nuts are the worst for galling. The best anti-galling "lube" I know of for stainless anywhere on moto's is Locktite Blue threadlocker. :thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I reported earlier; the metallurgical analysis of my failed tyre (tire) valve revealed that is was made of sh*tite; an alloy of sh*t and aluminium. Replace with stainless ASAP

52075[/snapback]

Never saw your earlier post,had a closer look at the valve,looks like corrosion did it in, the old girl maybe saw service through a Scottish winter before I got her. That road salt will eat cheap ally.I'm now thinking of improvising a trombone to vary pressure on the move and play some nice tunes as we go. Yes,been at the drink......... :drink:

I GOT BEERS, LET DRINK'EM  :P

I have more beer than I can give away too tis a shame really  -_-

You can always "donate" some beers to the forum owners I guess. See this white button on top right? There will be some to drink them , I guess :bier::bier::bier:

I use just a little tiny dab of anti-sieze compound when runnig in SS bolts/studs to lube the SS threads that are torqued for weight bearing.. i.e clip ons, fork assemblies, etc. Dry assembly with SS into alloys definatly will cause gaulling and difficuly in obtaining a good torque wheather measure or felt. Learned this lesson the hard way long ago working on car alloy engine blocks/manifolds :luigi:

You can always "donate" some beers to the forum owners I guess. See this white button on top right? There will be some to drink them , I guess :bier:  :bier:  :bier:

52140[/snapback]

Anybody who gives me advanced notice of stopping by Minneapolis will have more beer than they can drink in one sitting. I just don't keep it on hand beer does go bad unless its Hieneken or Guiness thats stays the same forever, Crap. :lol:

Had a blowing smoke episode out of my bike a few years back. Basically I was full time studding didn't have much money owned the sport outright though. So it was n't costing big heaps of money to have around. Used to ride it around town a bit and if I had a few dollars to spare take it on the odd country run but at the time the majority was just tooling around. Went out into some back roads with some friends and wound the old thing up and I mean really up close to redline in fourth or fifth. Backed off and started to slow for a intersection and was greeted with a great plume of blue smoke out of the exhuasts, !@#$ that isn't good brought it to a stop, crap can't afford this etc etc.

Started the bike no clunking orrible nioses idles perfectly no oil leaks what the and after the intial puff no smoke? Had a meachnic with us he counldn't pick anything wrong ethier. The He related a story about a Bonnievellie he had new in the 70's went out for a flog and it did the same thing and never gave a ounce of trouble afterwards. Basically we determined because the bike hadn't had a decent run recently and the oil might of been getting a little old there had been a deposit build up on the bottom of the piston winding it up the backing it off had disloged it and it had worked its way past the rings and incinerated itself inthe combustion chamber. I finshed studding a few years ago and bike gets ridden often and probally a little harder than it used to its done around 40 000kms since with out ever doing it again. Certianly do a compression test etc etc but its no unheard of.

Man this forum is scarry.

I just got an 02 LeMans after 5 yrs. of shopping because I love my

old relible '80 SP. Everything I read on this forum is depressing.

"Did Yellow line it once" ? When don't I yellow line my bike? (Duc 900ss)

I'm hoping I get the handful of bugs worked out then have 10yrs of

reliable service. Blue smoke out of pipes on a Scura? Please tell me you had

way to much oil in the sump...went neg Gs for a while or something.. not the company has completly dropped the ball on quality.

Was going to sell the Duc but it looks like I better hold on to it.

I've put 1000 mi on the Guzzi so far and it keeps getting better.

7.5K total now. Got the coughing FI cleared out by liberal use of the throttle

as far as I can tell. (PC 3, Stucci,Mistrals) and got rid of the woogies (uncomfortable,

light, wandering,wallowing feeling in the front end) by softening comp. and stiffning

rebound fore and aft and cranking the crap out of the steering dampner. Feels right and

tight now. Still have to:Change out relays..addres vapor lock..rear wheel shim..

gear selector spring/paul..headlight stupidity...

Then will I have an old world Guzzi? Then it would be WELL worth it.

Thank the makers for this site.

Victim

R.I.

80 SP

94 Duc 900ss

02 LeMans

...Then will I have an old world Guzzi?.....

Motor should be as ever. I suspect the gearbox isn't as strong as the Tonti 5 speed. The V11 spine frame isn't as strong as the Tonti either. But then nuthin's built to last these days.

Once I had similar big smoke happen on Tonti. Flat out several miles trying to hang on to a big Kawasaki up the mountain on the IOM suddenly noticed oil all over the place. I stopped. When the cloud of smoke & steam had cleared I looked for the big hole in the cases...but couldn't find anything wrong. Back of bike & my lower body were covered in oil. But it started up & ran great, & continues to. Lost the Kawasaki tho. It must have blown the oil out the breather pipe - in my case that was too short(!) & to atmosphere. But if it finds it's way via the airbox into combustion chambers presumably it'll exit from the exhausts.

KB :sun:

I was full time studding...

52219[/snapback]

This is a 'two continents separated by a common language' moment.

Uh, what's 'studding'? 'Cause the picture in my head comes with music...bow chicka bow bow...

I love my old relible '80 SP. Everything I read on this forum is depressing.

52227[/snapback]

Say, do you know a fellow named Pete Roper? :P

Seriously-don't be depressed- it's an internet forum. Sucess stories rarely get posted. You've been riding a Guzzi long enough to know what's what on them and the Le Mans is just as reliable and unreliable as your SP (I have a G5). It's just that the problem points are different, and we're still figuring them out.

J

I regualrly hit the rev limiter (red). Oops. No problems yet. Works as an impromtue quick shifter. "impromtue" - could someone speel that for me.... Too much gin and tonic.....