Aaargh - what's broken now???

GuzzBun

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad

There is no substitute for measurements. You should do a proper compression test. That said, I think all you have is a blocked crankcase breather.

There is no substitute for measurements. You should do a proper compression test. That said, I think all you have is a blocked crankcase breather.

52030[/snapback]

I agree... someone just posted a Question/Answer on this similar(don't know the details) topic to the MGNOC/Topica mailing list, and Dan Prunuske's response was:

>My ex-dealer (no longer sells or works on Guzzi's) believes it is likely

>to be the 'Crankcase Breather valve' sticking open.

I'm not specifically familiar with the Jackal, but the breather valve

is on the top of the block behind the cylinders. A large hose connects it to

the frame or to a breather box on older models. If it is all gunked up and

the ball inside is not free, you can try cleaning it with carb cleaner or

whatever. The only special tool you need is a trained monkey to get at

the thing. It is threaded into the block.

I hope this is all the problem is, as this would be an easy fix. I had the exact same problem with a 1981 Oldsmobile, as it happily sucked oil right down it's gullet :P

I agree... someone just posted a Question/Answer on this similar(don't know the details) topic to the MGNOC/Topica mailing list, and Dan Prunuske's response was:

I hope this is all the problem is, as this would be an easy fix.  I had the exact same problem with a 1981 Oldsmobile, as it happily sucked oil right down it's gullet  :P

52032[/snapback]

Jees - wish I could get all you guys together in my garage tommorow - so many ideas, so many possibilities - and so many tinnies and anecdotes - is it true that bike maintenance is best conducted when 'in beer'? :drink:

Robin

wouldn't it be blowing oil out at the seal? 

J

52011[/snapback]

Reminds me of the penguin who took his Guzzi in to the shop to see why it was blowing excessive oil smoke. The mechanic told him it would be an hour before he would have results. The penguin went across the street and got himself an ice cream cone. On the way back to the shop he noticed he had dribbled ice cream down his front. Inside the shop he found the mechanic who said "Looks like you've blown a seal" to which the penguin replied "Mind your own buisness! Now what's wrong with my bike?" :)

Rj

Reminds me of the penguin who took his Guzzi in to the shop to see why it was blowing excessive oil smoke.  The mechanic told him it would be an hour before he would have results.  The penguin went across the street and got himself an ice cream cone.  On the way back to the shop he noticed he had dribbled ice cream down his front.  Inside the shop he found the mechanic who said "Looks like you've blown a seal"  to which the penguin replied "Mind your own buisness!  Now what's wrong with my bike?"  :)

Rj

52044[/snapback]

nyuck nyuck nyuck...

Jees - wish I could get all you guys together in my garage tommorow - so many ideas, so many possibilities - and so many tinnies and anecdotes - is it true that bike maintenance is best conducted when 'in beer'?  :drink:

Robin

52043[/snapback]

You'd have to be well off. :drink:

Guest aironepony
Nope, standard valves, made from hard cheese by the look of it.

51913[/snapback]

As I reported earlier; the metallurgical analysis of my failed tyre (tire) valve revealed that is was made of sh*tite; an alloy of sh*t and aluminium. Replace with stainless ASAP

As I reported earlier; the metallurgical analysis of my failed tyre (tire) valve revealed that is was made of sh*tite; an alloy of sh*t and aluminium. Replace with stainless ASAP

52075[/snapback]

Sound advice.

Stainless is the way to go for fasteners too....

Especially if you are planning on keeping it a long time.

Just remember stainless threads need to be lubricated prior to assembly .

Nige. B)

Really?  I never knew that.  Can you give a brief explanation of "why"?

Thx  :D

52118[/snapback]

This is basically because if the threads aren't lubricated they may well 'spall', or 'pick-up'

Tear in layman's terms.

Light grease is fine, I use a type of copperslip, although some folk say that is not the best choice, I have never had any problem with it.

Nige. B)

Yup. always put a little lube on your stainless bolts, especially if going into aluminum. Anti seize works well, light oil works. Threads will gaul (especially installing SS spokes in old bikes). Even stainless on stainless will gaul. I use thicker oil there.

Stainless is very unforgiving. It also has very little tensile strength so don't use it for anything that needs to be highly torqued or carries a decent tensile load. Stainless is very prone to shearing as the same hardness that prevents it from rusting also causes it to be more brittle and susceptable to shear forces than regular steel.

cheers,

Ryan