The mgs01 was in Assen

Paul Minnaert

I was there the whole weekend. From Italy, they were there with 2 mgs01, Ghuisephe Ghezzi was also there. One bike was from the guarechi dealer, the other from the factory. I was good that they had two, the dealer bike had an electrical problem, so after 3 rounds the fuse blows. So the other bike was used for the rest of the training. The same happend the second training. After that, for the race they switched some parts beween bikes, and the race was done on the factory bike. Guarechi started the race on second row, but soon he was on forth place. After one of the tree before him had a problem he was on third place. And so it was until round 10 where a red flag situation ended the race. Guarechi got his flowers.

The second race was the same, only the one stayed in the sadle, so Guarechi ended 4 th.

I must say is is a very good driver, because there were a lot of bikes that are quicker on paper behind him.

On Saturday the circuit had as special guest Loris Cappirossi. He was also in the Guzzi pitbox, he knew Guarechi.

I talked a bit with Ghezzi, he called this 2 bikes "development"bikes. I then asked him how that was, with the factory, well he said the factory isn't going to make sport bikes. Aprillia has that role in the Piaggio vision. But what was he doing here? Well that was personal interest. He told me the 2 bikes had very different gear ratios from the production version. Also one bike had a dual exhaust instead of the single one. Works better. Was made by quat-d.

All laptimes:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=74372 , look at Sound of Thunder

Pictures:

goto my homepage http://guzzi.daytona-it.com , click on trofeo rosso 2004, there you find the album.

I was there too, it was fookin awesome...way to go :thumbsup:

I could not believe the way the MGS01 was ridden into the set of corners before the start finish straight, very fast, very late on the brakes and thundering off down the straights with a gorgeous sound, not loosing anything to the faster bikes, wow, a very talented rider and a very cool bike up against, modern V twin Aprillias, Ducatis, Hondas, Suzukis etc.

There was also a few other Guzzis racing (not all in the same class) ranging from a fairly standard looking LM111 (did well) to the mighty Dynotec Guzzila, that did pretty well too and sounded wicked...wish I had a video of it to share with folks.

The whole range of racing was brilliant with classes ranging from classic racing with old Triumphs, Manx Nortons etc right up to the Sound of Thunder modern beefy V twins.

coooool

Mal :helmet:

Guzzi's in the pits. Great sight!

(Paul's bike is there too, look closely)

53077[/snapback]

Yeah, I noticed him too! I envy the Euro contingent their proximity to great bike racing.

Paul-am I to understand that Moto Guzzi will no longer build V-11 LeMans sport bikes as per your conversation w/guiseppe or were you referring the MGS-01?

We didn't spreak about the v11, but a new version won't be developed. Maybe what they have done so far, new color etc. He said "piaggio split the motorycle market, aprilia for sportbikes and touring for Guzzi". Now you can argue that the v11 is a touring bike, but then they will awnser that you can buy a breva 1100 for that.

Every bike they develop costs much money, so depending on what they espect to sell, they invest or not.

I think the breva is a good bike, maybe the best Guzzi ever, but if the market buys it, I can't tell. We will have to wait to know.

And I can think that when the breva 1100 is doing very well, above espectations they might give guzzi more air, but for now I think they see it as a museum factory where they don't know if it will ever bring them money.

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to let Ghezzi & Brian produce a street legal version of the MGS-01?

A lot of Guzzi drivers and also riders of other brands are waiting for it!

Hi Jaap! :)

I think, our V11-2004 engine with a bit more torque (exhaust system, ECU, higher compression, dual ignition) would be perfect.

Who needs more than 100 Nm/100PS with 200kg ?

:bike:

:thumbsup:

But: Which engine? The new Breva 1100 engine is too slow for a sporty looking bike like the MGS01. And the old 4-valver is too expensive.

53134[/snapback]

Granted the Breva 1100 engine is a bit long in tooth for an MGS02, it would be better than nothing. If there is to be an MGS02 with that engine though, it will have to be an entirely new chassis to accomodate the newer (hopefully better) six speed transmission and the shorter engine block which will affect the front-rear weight bias of the bike. In short, I don't think it'll happen anyway. If Piaggio is clever, they'll get Danilo Mojoli involved again and revive the water pumper.

Who needs more than 100 Nm/100PS with 200kg ?

If I were an existing Guzzi customer (bunch of old farts!) I wouldn't need it. But if MG wants to sell it to new customers who give a rat's behind about Guzzi history and tradition; well, they can get a Jap with more HP, less weight and equal or better handling for half the money...

I agree with Carl, they need a new engine!

Guest goffredo

Complete report (in Italian...) with stunning pictures on Anima Guzzista Website.

Note the picture of some rookie in som minor Moto GP league, some Loris Capisomething asking for an autograph by Guaro! :D:D:D:D:mg::mg::mg::mg::mg::mg:

G.