Reliability Issues?

Guest Fly4hire

Guest Fly4hire

Not sure if this real, or in the realm of over analyzed internet riding, but I have heard several comments here about the need to take enough spare parts with you on any tour.

Now I realize the lack of Guzzi dealers so perhaps there may be some wisdom in this, but what are the issues that require this? I thought that MG's were renowned for being durable, overbuilt and understressed, etc.? So, any suggestions for prudent precautionary measure will be most welcome.

My 04' V11 seems to have no niggles to date, but what should I be looking for or be aware of? Also thought the the 04's were largely over someof the post Apprilla merge quality control issues.

FWIW, the guys at Detroit Euroycle spent a day going over the bike before pickup (Jeff, the proprieter insisted that proper setup alleviates 99% of subsequent problems and that MG are not always 100% out of the crate), as well as removing the evap canister/system at my request.

Depending on how far and wide you plan on touring and of course your mechnical ablity. I used to carry all sorts of stuff but found I was just wiehging the bike down No point in having the spare if you have no idea or lack the gear to fix it. Owners manual/ maybe workshop manual, if stuck in the middle of nowhere you can probally find someone with some mechanical knowlegde. Parts list and diagram may be useful.

Spark plug cap and spark plug if the bike takes a minor fall in the carpark generally these get a hiding. Locking set of vice grip pliers as the foot levers are cast aluminium they tend to break in the same type of fall, keep the broken bit they usually can be welded by someone who knows thier way around a TIG. Couple of fuses possibly some relays and a test lamp. If you are feeling super cynical throttle cable, clutch cable (not relevant for V11's) ,tubless puncture repair kit you can get cheap and nasty compressors from wal mart Marlows similar auto store for not much with a couple of battery clips they will easily inflate a rear tyre from nothing without draining the battery. Beats trying to jump up and down on a pump in the middle of summer on the side of the road with all your riding gear.

Contact details of a Guzzi store that does have a good supply of parts and knowledge anything beyond those kind of repairs probally better off shipping the bike home but they usally are stoically reliable. Its a good idea to knock up a few thousand miles locally at least if the bike is new or new to you then most stupid things that are going to happen happen close to home and you get a feel for how the bike is supposed to run. To be honest they are pretty good these days.

I have a spare fuse, spare relay, multimeter, cell phone, crappy MG tool kit (with some extra allen keys), whisky flask, aspirin and the US MGNOC contact list. Wouldn't want to be stuck without a glass of whisky. :luigi:

Because of my recent issues I have exhaust to head and balance pipe gaskets.

I have a tubless kit complete with gas cartridges, a spare bulb kit with fuses.(touring mode only)

I knew I should have a spare plug and and cap.

I conside myself very lucky when I dropped it over on the ferry I only pushed the cap on and it still worked and didn't snap. Also from this experiance I will add a prostetic leg, cos it hurt like hell for the next day untill the anti inflamatory properties of the Guinness kicked in :D

RAC membership and mobile phone

a glass of whisky.

54127[/snapback]

What do you use that for? Cleaning your visor?

I brought a slim packet of hand-cleaner tissue things, can't remember their name. They were useful when rear drive leaked oil, both for cleaning tyre and hands. Spanner was also needed to top-up drive box oil. I also carry a spare brake lever ( a repaired broken lever) for same reason as Murray, in case of a fall – wouldn't want to be left without use of either brake or clutch.

Also carry kit for replacing a broken pawl spring – for old time's sake.

Now your bike will be regularly and expertisely maintained

No it's that I don't know what I'm going to need. In the past I used to have a gascable. But it won't brake, so I leave it at home. The first one is in service for more than 40.000 km.

Once I've had a problem with a fuse going out, but that was my own fault. It was no fun:-(

Guest davidb

I carry a wad of cash, gun, oil, flashlight, electrical tape, wire, cutters, spare bulbs, fuses, tire repair kit (bmw), knife, and a spark plug. so far I have used a tailight bulb, tire plug and co2 inflator, electrical tape, oil(lost timing cover gasket once and rear main seal twice) and flashlight. And now I carry the pink slip, just in case someone has 5000$ to buy it.

Just packed for my trip to Boxmeer- gaffa tape, leatherman, spare brake and clutch lever, 5 pin ormron relay, rear wheel bearing, spanners, allen keys, cable ties and screwdrivers.

Marvellous weather forecast for the weekend in Western Europe but we will get wet tomorrow on the Highway To Hull.

Guy :helmet:

I always bring spare fuses, a cell phone, registration papers, credit cards and the number for the local road assistance service, just in case.

Anyway, living in Denmark where you can go cross country in 4-5 hours you don't really need anything special - there's a vast amount of petrol stations scattered around the country and you won't have to drive more than 40-50 km to find the next station.

For a longer trip down Europe I'd bring spare bulbs, gas cable, instant tyre fix (the spray cans with the foam, you know) and additional tools - the standard Guzzi tools are not to much avail if you break down in i.e. Andalusia (Spain). A parlour for the various European languages is also very helpful - this one is nicked from the Danish Moto Guzzi Club homepage:

check here:

Regards

Søren

Welcome aboard! It's exciting to see another new Guzzi rider in SE Michigan :bier: Try to not be too distracted by other bikers staring, mouths open, at your bike! And I can't say enough good things about Jeff at Detroit Euro :thumbsup: . I bought my '03 LeMans last August and moved it here, after which they did a superb job with the first service. So far after 2K miles the only issue is one or two very slow oil leaks from braided lines. LeMans has potential speedo failure and shift issues (fixes available for both :luigi: ), but not sure if the Coppa is affected. Hope to see you around!

Chet

I tend to bring,well nothing really. I did about about 7000miles in a month when it was just out of the crate, and the only thing that broke was the pawl spring, and I'm still not sure what that is.

Although I'd recognise one if I saw one.

Ample amounts of patience, an open mind and a loose timetable are about the most useful things,Iwould have said. And a healthy credit card.