Breva 1100 reviews

Guest slowpoke

Guest slowpoke

Just got Bike and Two Wheels Only magazines and believe it or not they both liked the bike! They say the gearbox is excellent and handling and performance was equally good. Bike was more enthusiastic about the bike and had very few bad things to say. Both were essentially saying that Moto Guzzi is in competition with BMW and the Breva will dethrone the R1150. Of course there are always references to the V11 as being tractor-like and quirky with the "ancient" transverse V2, so it behooves Moto Guzzi to get it together and produce those bikes that they have been telling us are due to be released any day now-haa!-the Griso and the MGS-01 (street-moderately priced) and start developing a watercooled engine so that the magazine reviewers can eat their words once and for all.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only the magazine testers who complained about the old bikes. Any guys I meet on the road are interested in the old girl,and she has surprised a few with her ability to make good progress on the road.Whilst I appreciate that the press are important to the manufacturers, lets face it, nobody would have bought a V11 on the strength of any test I ever read of one, barring Alan Cathcart's in a very old copy of Moto Retro I have. Fortunately Guzzi types seem immune to the bullshit peddled in most bike mags nowadays. I'm personally delighted with my bike, tho it would probably lose any" shootout" in todays -latest-fastest- obsessed press. Except maybe one for burgundy V11 sports with high bars and a bikini fairing.

On that subject, was out today using one of my Brother-in-law's bikes -- waiting for parts for the V11. He gave me choice of Ducati S4 Monster and K1200 and we swapped off throughout the afternoon. Both bikes much more powerful than my Scura, the Monster like a razor blade that you felt like you were dancing on the edge of. The K12 like a barcolounger attached to a cruise missile.

Meanwhile, all I could think about the whole day was how much more fun I would've had on my guzzi. So much more interesting a ride than either of the other two. Hard to be relaxed on the S4, while the K12 puts you to sleep..............

And - Surprise! - I wasn't really very comfortable on either. Got pains in my back and shoulders on both of them after 100 miles or so. And the BMW is supposed to be all day comfy.

I'll stick with my Guzzi. It's got what I seem to like........whatever that is.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped my Rossa Corsa off at my local dealer this morning for a service and some warranty work and he lent me a Breva 1100 for the day so I could get home.

I was not sure what to expect but I am really impressed with the bike. Looks very well finished, its very comfy, nice soft big seat and it goes well too.

Front end is very good and braking is excellent. Rear shock is set up for comfort and is a little soft but the bike handled well and the low seat and high bars make it excellent in busy cities (I have to ride through Bradford to get home).

Power is lower down in the rev range than the V11, but it pulls well and does not seem significantly less pokey than my V11.

Was extremely comfortable once I got onto the motorway and started cruising, and I can understand why it has got good reviews from road testers.

The instrument console is a bit of a mess but that is my only criticism.

Not as rorty or sexy as a V11 but very able and practical- looks like a step in the right direction for Guzzi.

Guy :helmet:

Power is lower down in the rev range than the V11, but it pulls well and does not seem significantly less pokey than my V11.

That's interesting, because most reviewers suggested that the Breva's power is delivered at higher revs than "before". Perhaps "before" refers to the Cali's.

...lets face it, nobody would have bought a V11 on the strength of any test I ever read of one, barring Alan Cathcart's in a very old copy of Moto Retro I have....

(Note that I'm equating test with review...)

Well, not knowing what other reviews you've read prevents me from saying you're wrong, but I bought my V11 LeMans mostly because of a review in Cycle World, I believe in 2001 or early 2002.

To qualify that, I'd been fairly happy with my '89 Mille GT, so I was already enamored with MG bikes. Also, the test ride was a big factor. The improvements were so striking between the Mille and the LeMans, I was immediately in lust.

The review was positive enough to get me to seek out the LeMans and then buy it. The things they didn't like were not important enough to me to dissuade me.

I'm very likely going to switch to the Breva 1100, again being influenced by the positive reviews in magazines and the internet. While I really like the V11, the riding position is not what I want.

I was not sure what to expect but I am really impressed with the bike. Looks very well finished, its very comfy, nice soft big seat and it goes well too.

Front end is very good and braking is excellent. Rear shock is set up for comfort and is a little soft but the bike handled well and the low seat and high bars make it excellent in busy cities (I have to ride through Bradford to get home).

Was extremely comfortable once I got onto the motorway and started cruising, and I can understand why it has got good reviews from road testers.

The instrument console is a bit of a mess but that is my only criticism.

Not as rorty or sexy as a V11 but very able and practical- looks like a step in the right direction for Guzzi.

Guy  :helmet:

55729[/snapback]

Have to agree with all those points Guy. I borrowed one for a half day (from Jason @ http://www.motostrada.co.uk - I presume he's your dealer) last week and was very impressed. So much so that I've placed an order for a red Breva V1100 for late August delivery :mg:.

....Power is lower down in the rev range than the V11....

It was only a short ride I had, but I thought the Breva was a bit flat low down compared to a V11 with power coming in at 5 or 6 pretty much same as V11.

KB :sun:

Guest cliffy
:D hi just like to say i took delivery of a breva last week and i must admit it is a quantum leap for guzzi when comparedto the v11 sport of which i had,dont get me wrong i really loved the v11 but unfortunately my back didnt !! lets face it the v11 is quite basic with a fairly harsh ride in modern terms (well i think so) the engine definately shows its age(in a nice way).But when i test rode a breva some weeks ago i was instantly sold on it, hey its not so torquey like a v11 but it revs so much free'er having a lighter flywheel,the finish is superb,the fuel injection seems more polished,the suspension is softer but i bet it would still mix it with a lot of other machinery in the" twisties" the metzeler tyres work really well even though theres not much feedback from the front (it reminds me of my aprilia tuono i had). finally.. yes i will miss the v11 sport for all its inherent character it really is a great machine.But with the involvement of the aprilia r&d department the breva is certainly a major breakthrough for guzzi and a big step forward for that most classic of vee twins..now go out and test ride!! :bier:

Guest cliffy
:) hi ! how about twin plug heads,and a lightened flywheel coupled to a slicker feeling gearbox and like i said before a much smoother fuel injection,they all compliment each other to make a smoother ride. apparently out of 120 parts that make up the engine 80 of them have been redesigned and improved sounds good enough for me !! :bier::mg:

It would be interesting to see comparison dyno charts for the stock V11 and stock Breva V1100. The factory brochure specs suggest that the V11 is more powerful and produces more torque, which is probably true. But the Breva felt better lower down the rev range - in a very unscientific seat-of-the pants kinda way :bike:.

Roll on August when I take delivery of mine :wub::mg:.