the rear tyre

thgil

Ok, got the tyre valve replaced by my local bike shop they then informed me of why the valve became loose.When i brought the bike it came with two new tyres,now according to the shop owner there was no nut on the inside of the wheel to keep the valve in place and he recons that this was down to human error.I'm tempted to let you all know the X guzzi dealer who sold me the machine but being a recent member again i'm not sure if it is allowed to name names,but if you guys and gals think i should then i will.So now i'm in the throws of putting the rear back together.Once again thanks for all your help. one more thing as green as i am with the ways of the guzzi i find that its one big learning curve to which i seem to strangely enough enjoying!(with the aid of my 30 quid paddock stand).

It would be easy to name names, but did the dealer actually fit the tyres,were they sent to a local "kwik-fit" type operator, or a previous owner? And lets face it we've all made stupid mistakes ourselves.I'm sure the extent and depth of the dealers expertise will become all too apparent soon enough. If it turns out he's been negligent, I don't see why the info shouldn't be shared. By the same token, if he's done a good job,put the word out. :2c:

...as long as you stay 100% factual,...

But does he know all the facts & are all the facts he knows really factual???? :wacko:

As bigJ says, it's easy to slag off the dealer, & we all think no smoke w/o fire etc - just gives no balance. Dealer can't be expected to log on here to defend himself even if he knew he had something to defend. Speak to supplying dealer to discuss the problem - at least see what he has to say....if someone else fitted tyres, how is he liable?

KB :sun:

With "factual" I mean that you stay with the facts as you perceive them and not add you're own subjective opinions.

I understand that one's own perception of the facts can be/are subjective but it's one's valuation of those facts that are coloured most of the time.

What's the problem with that Jaap?

We all are people and we do have a opinion about things, stuff, color, women, cars, bikes etc.

The fact is that some dealers are assholes to somebody and sweethearts to somebody else.

The vantage in this forum is that we CAN share our ideas, emotion etc with other Guzzi riders who knows how do we feel about something.

We do have to keep it civil, I know that, but héy, don’t forget “freedom to speech”

Except ENZO of course... :bbblll:

...The fact is that some dealers are assholes to somebody and sweethearts to somebody else....

Yeh but that's just a subjective judgement on the part of the punter. There are dealers who mostly do good job & there are dealers who mostly do a bad job. You can quantify that. That's fact. Someone on here slagging off a dealer cos, for whatever reason he's had bad experience there is subjective, can harm dealer's reputation & may be nothin more than a personality clash. I mean not everyone on here is as balanced, generous, objective & understanding as you Antonio. BTW - do take the straight route everywhere? :bike::D

KB :sun:

Fair enough, to blame the dealer for what one of his contractors or employees have done to me seems a little unfair(i guess he wasn't there to over see every thing that comes into his workshop).But i feel that not only am i incredably lucky that it happened in a situation where i managed to control the bike but there maybe other riders who will come across this with less fortune than myself (god forbid).I'm just trying to say that i've had a bad experience,and to share this with others so that they are aware of the problems i've had!And everyone rides safely.

Ok, got the tyre valve replaced by my local bike shop they then informed me of why the valve became loose....according to the shop owner there was no nut on the inside of the wheel to keep the valve in place and he recons that this was down to human error.

55252[/snapback]

Do you mean inside the rim?

I think that you posted before that the nut on the stem (out of the rim) had disappeared. The only explanation (if your valve cap was still in place, as mine was) is that the nut split (or someone removed it and put the cap back on) and so the valve dropped inside. If this retaining nut is gone, it doesn't matter what is inside the rim. When mine disappeared, there was some evidence of corrosion left on the stem.

If human error was to blame, then I think that the tyre would have deflated same day, not a long time after.

Fair enough, to blame the dealer for what one of his contractors or employees have done to me seems a little unfair(i guess he wasn't there to over see every thing that comes into his workshop).But i feel that not only am i incredably lucky that it happened in a situation where i managed to control the bike but there maybe other riders who will come across this with less fortune than myself (god forbid).I'm just trying to say that i've had a bad experience,and  to share this with others so that they are aware of the problems i've had!And everyone rides safely.

55308[/snapback]

Yep, right enough. One of the geat things about this forum is the accumulation of shared experience. I posted a while back that on a late night run back from Scotland, I "yellow lined" the old girl for about 25 miles, she was going like gangbusters that night. Next evening,washing her down, the valve came off in the sponge :wacko: Fair woke me up, that one. It looked like corrosion did it in at the base. I believe Nogbad and Belfast had similar experiences. I'd say to anyone who still has those alloy( shitanium-Nogbad) valves, change them for steel ones, particularly if the bike has seen heavy road salt, as I believe mine had.

BFG did the socks match,tho? Never trust a dealer with matching socks.

What's the problem with that Jaap?

I started writing an answer, but Baldini already wrote it down better than I ever could:
Yeh but that's just a subjective judgement on the part of the punter. There are dealers who mostly do good job & there are dealers who mostly do a bad job. You can quantify that. That's fact. Someone on here slagging off a dealer cos, for whatever reason he's had bad experience there is subjective, can harm dealer's reputation & may be nothin more than a personality clash.