Thanks for all the Help

Guest hogjockey

Guest hogjockey

First off guys thanks for all the help in tryin to get my sport running right.

But I have done all I can do and I can do no more. I have wanted this bike for a long time and all i got for my wanting was nothing but problems.

I never did get the fuel economy even close to what it should have been. The best was 23 mpg. That alone is enough for me to sell it. I spent some big money on upswept minsrals, FbF cross overs Power commander , FbF open air box and the list goes on. There is not a dealer in the state of Alabama and cannot find any shop that knows anything about my Bike let alone let them work on it. Every thing on the bike checks out, as far as I can tell. I can find no shorts anywhere. the values on all parts check out as well. So if anyone want a bike that runs awesome but get shitty fuel economy ring me up. lets talk. Ill sell you one right. Im also up for trades. Ill take some pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see the bike, But at this point I am at a total Loss for what to do next. Again thanks for all the help. :helmet:

First off guys thanks for all the help in tryin to get my sport running right.

But I have done all I can do and I can do no more. I have wanted this bike for a long time and all i got for my wanting was nothing but problems.

I never did get the fuel economy even close to what it should have been. The best was 23 mpg. That alone is enough for me to sell it. I spent some big money on upswept minsrals, FbF cross overs Power commander , FbF open air box and the list goes on. There is not  a dealer in the state of Alabama and cannot find any shop that knows anything about my Bike let alone let them work on it. Every thing on the bike checks out, as far as I can tell. I can find no shorts anywhere. the values on all parts check out as well. So if anyone want a bike that runs awesome but get shitty fuel economy ring me up. lets talk. Ill sell you one right. Im also up for trades. Ill take some pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see the bike, But at this point I am at a total Loss for what to do next. Again thanks for all the help. :helmet:

55260[/snapback]

Sorry to hear of this.

Where are you in Alabama?

While we don't need to go public on positive rants or negative raves, I am surprised if Atlanta Triumph Ducati failed you.

Call me at 404.808.8486 (mobile) over weekend or email me about them and some other wrenching options in this area.

If getting to Atlanta is doable next Wednesday evening, you might consider attending Georgia Guzzi meeting. At Vortex in Little Five Points at 7 p.m. (ET). If those folks are stumped by problem, may still find a buyer. Hope to see you there.

Best wishes in any event.

Bill

Bill, aren't the Alabama members of the MGNOC pretty good wrenches too? I'm trying to find my issue with the "helping hands" list, maybe we can put them in touch....

Looks like I'll actually be in town next week, if so I'll try to get over to the Vortex.

Hope to see you then, Phil

Bill, aren't the Alabama members of the MGNOC pretty good wrenches too? I'm trying to find my issue with the "helping hands" list, maybe we can put them in touch....

Looks like I'll actually be in town next week, if so I'll try to get over to the Vortex.

Hope to see you then, Phil

55278[/snapback]

Phil, I only know two three Alabama riders (Grant Borden--MGNOC rep; Nelson Thatcher, and Sanford Hardy). All live in or near Birmingham. All three ride Calis, tho Grant also has a Daytona and Sanford races a vintage LeMans, and Nelson is handy with tools and, as he rode Brit bikes 'back in the day,' he also has painful experience in electrics, esp. :D

Anyway, suspect any of these guys has forgotten more about wrenching than I'll ever know, and all are easy to get to know and, I'm sure, would be pleased to help.

Hope to see you all at Vortex.

Bill

Sorry to hear you are letting the bike go.

Getting them to "run right" is a much loftier(and sometimes harder) goal than MPG in my humble opinion ... so I count you as a pretty lucky guy that got one:

that runs awesome but get shitty fuel economy

:bike:

Keep in mind, in many cases, the more performance mods... MPG suffers, not improves. It all just depends of course.

But I will say this. I've always gotten sub-30 MPG around town, without exception. I did get 40+ MPG on a long trip once, mostly highway drone, so it just depends.

But although I would agree that 23 is definitely on the low side, 25-29ish seems about average for around town and twisties.

Which BTW, doing the math..... you have a little less than 5gal "available" fuel in the tank, so 5x23=115 miles until reserve. That is very typical what everyone reports here, 120-130 miles when the reserve comes on.

And if you go find my thread here about MPG, and a poll I started on www.sport-touring.net, except for some uber-sport-touring bikes, 120ish miles at reserve was very very typical.

After that, I didn't feel so bad.

So, your MPG, while not great, seems typical... if maybe a couple/three MPG on the low side. I know some folks claim super-MPG on some bikes, but I think that if you really look at their data, especially ignoring high-MPG outliers from super-slab trips, you'll find a lot of them get 30 or less MPG, especially liter+ bikes.

You might check your PCIII map to see if it is running rich in a few spots, but other than that, the bike is pretty simple.

What type of riding do you do, and what is your "style"? That can have a huge impact on average MPG i.e. long continuous sweepers vs stop-and-go cruising

Good luck :thumbsup:

al

My first experince with my v11 has been nothing but a complete nightmare but i'm getting there.Its just been one thing after another but i have got the point that i've learn't more about motorcycles with this stubourn b***h than any jap bike that i've had(and its been a few).

your mpg sounds bad .

here is my experienc ewith my 2002 lemans .

on a recent trip from connecticut to vermont to maine and back ,approx. 2,300 miles i had to go slow because one of the riders was on a harley and was kind of new.

i stayed at speed limits.

best mpg i got was 32 to 33 mpg.

and the bike ran lousy and my body was in acute pain. my plugs fouled up at one point.

when he went back to miami , i went for a 6 hour ride around new york ,west point ,new jersey and conn. we rode fast ,very fast ,

my body did not get tired

and i got 42 mpg.

on a trip between conn. and miami via back roads and mountains i averaged 42 to 45 mpg with the ocassional 34 to 36 mpg.

this is about it

fernando

Guest Nogbad

The light generally starts to flicker at about 140 miles, and I know I can get to 170 miles before the tank runs dry if i go gently.

Before my trip knob fell off, I was getting an average of 40mpg with my commute to work comprising 9 miles of twisty single carriageway, 21 miles of congested motorway, 4 miles of empty dual (90+ almost every day) and 5 miles urban slog.

Your mileage sounds way low, and there has to be something wrong.

I usually refill at 125 miles and its between 3.7 and 4.2 gallons per fill up. I'm not at all impressed with the mileage but its no worse than a car, and its a hell of a lot more fun :!: There are a lot of other bikes out there that get better mpg, but they dont have an eagle on the tank. Well maybe the baby breva gets good mileage. I heard it gets high 40's

Guest slowpoke

I get on the average 31 to 33 in town and 36 to 43 on the open road. My reserve light generally does not come on until 140 miles if those miles are on the open road and about 115 if they are in town.

The light generally starts to flicker at about 140 miles, and I know I can get to 170 miles before the tank runs dry if i go gently.

I am one of the slab riders for my commuting (it is a flat, even highway drone more or less), but my light begins to glow at 150-160 miles, and I routinely run it to 200/210 miles before filling up. Just 2 days ago I filled up at like 209 miles and had to squeeze in just ove 5 gal. Yep, righ at low 40's mpg. This is a 6th gear, 65-75 cruise. OK, it is quite stock, MG Ti cans and opened up air box. But I don't see why upper 20's-30 should be acceptable. I could see that city riding would do it though.

Sorry to hear about the fuel economy. The more miles you put on these things, the better they run -- until you wade them up I suppose? Fuel economy.... what are you looking for?

more of the same for me.. mid 30s and lookng for a gas station a the 150 mile mark with a week to steady gas light. MPG has gotten better after the 3-4k mile mark. When she was new, I don't think I was getting 25-30 out of her. -_-