scura owners

scre103

could one of you scura owners please respond to this. on the gas tank- the carbon fiber plate on top- the four screws- are thy flush or do they stick out a little? these screws are socket heads. are they bending the carbon fiber down around the holes. i'm planning on ordering this carbon piece and i understand that they come untapped, that is the holes are not pre-drilled, i apparantly have to do this myself. i'm mainly interested about the relationship of the holes to the socket heads and how this plate is tightened down. any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks scre :mg:

The screws are flush to being a little recessed. I took off the carbon piece to check it and found a nice little hide for a spare key or more!

The carbon piece is molded with very deep screw holders at least 25mm.

The carbon piece is surrounded by a rubber on the edge of the carbon which when the screws are tensioned keeps the unit snug against the tank.

:stupid:

Hiya,

...well, I'm not a Scura owner, nor do I have a CF top on my tank... so you may wonder why I am responding :rolleyes:

Well, I just wanted to offer this thought. Unless your CF top is cracked, you may just be able to loosen the bolts a bit and "blue" loctite them so they won't come loose.

I've noticed that a lot of the fasteners on these bikes, as delivered, are over-tightened on the bodywork(why the heck don't they "overtighten" the bolts for the engine/tranny instead?! :lol:) ... and often deform and crack the part in quick fashion. Since the holes in the panels don't have any bushings, the overtightened fasteners just crush and bend the panel around the hole. Since CF isn't very flexible, the results are probably even worse.

Anyway, if your panel isn't cracked yet, just loosening the bolts may be a solution.

...just a thought.

al

That looks to me like they simply molded a recess into it to countersink the fastener. I think it looks pretty sharp!

But hey! If I'm wrong, please, someone tell me! I know fiberglass much better than I know CF!

:D this makes me very happy :):D i was told this cf part came with the screw holes not drilled and i was thinking how am i going to line the drill holes up, but as i see from the great photos the screw holes are recessed. excellent, this will make things easier. of course before i drill these holes i will place tape to prevent cracking and fraying. btw i was told this part $ is about 200 clams!!!!!

• 2 years later...

I hate to ask this but what the hell :D If you have the Rosso Corsa doesnt that have the new tank that doesnt have the chin guard? I have the older bike so I dont know if that part will even fit on a new tank. Anyone else care to comment? Have you picked yout bike up yet Orangeokie?

I hate to ask this but what the hell  :D If you have the Rosso Corsa doesnt that have the new tank that doesnt have the chin guard? I have the older bike so I dont know if that part will even fit on a new tank. Anyone else care to comment? Have you picked yout bike up yet Orangeokie?

60247[/snapback]

Yeah. I bought a cf chin guard, but it doesn't look like it will fit the Rosso. :( It is a beautiful piece. Brand new. Anyone with the older tank want to buy it?

First $175 PayPal to philrobins@cox.net

Includes Priority Mail shipping to the 48 lower states.

Could someone with this carbon chin pad please post a pic of what the tank looks like under the cf piece, and into what do the screws screw?  Thanks.

60242[/snapback]

There's a big indentation in the top of the tank – I'll post a photo tomorrow if no-one else does first. The big problem with this part is the large hump that it makes in the middle of the top of the tank: a tank bag can't sit flat. I've used foam round the sides to raise the outside level when using a bag, but it's still not great.

The screws just screw into the plastic tank as far as I remember. I'll check that.

There's a big indentation in the top of the tank – I'll post a photo tomorrow if no-one else does first. The big problem with this part is the large hump that it makes in the middle of the top of the tank: a tank bag can't sit flat. I've used foam round the sides to raise the outside level when using a bag, but it's still not great.

The screws just screw into the plastic tank as far as I remember. I'll check that.

60320[/snapback]

If you are a Scura owner join the owners register, simply email me your scura number and location macguzzi98@yahoo.com

If you are a Scura owner join the owners register, simply email me your scura number and location macguzzi98@yahoo.com

60322[/snapback]

(& I'll e-mail, ta)

Could someone with this carbon chin pad please post a pic of what the tank looks like under the cf piece, and into what do the screws screw?  Thanks.

60242[/snapback]

Ignore the blue fitting seen inside the filler hole(as this was part of a project in the fuel pump relocation thread) but here you can see a portion of the indentation and mounting brackets for the normal foam chin pad. The only difference for the CF version is that it bolts on through the piece instead of using the rubber grommet mounting system.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ype=post&id=583