PITA

Guest Fly4hire

Guest Fly4hire

Just finished a 700 mile 2 day ride and by posterior is almost raw. The stock saddle is seriously painful after a 100 miles. Short of a custom saddle is there any combination of underwear, pants, powder, etx that can make this more comfortable? A friend suggested bicycle shorts with gel inserts....Anti-Butt Powder?

Also has anyone used a Throttlemeister or other throttle lock with satisfaction on the V11?

And Corbin has finally stepped up to the plate and now officially supports 2002 seats, so that's an option as well.

I personally didn't find the stock seat too awful. I did a 3 day tour on it when I first got the bike with no butt-burn issues, but it all depends on personal preference I guess.

For the record, I have both a Corbin and a RM seat... like 'em both so far, and as soon as I join my bike in NC, I'll be testing them back-to-back more vigorously.

al

In regards to Throttlemeister, here's a search (via the search button in upper right of this page) for site discussions relating.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...throttlemeister

Most folks have been very satisfied with the Throttlemeisters and their ability to almost completely eliminate vibration. If you want to use bar-end mirrors, I believe you'll have to machine the throttlemeisters to fit. I have the heavy models and they work well....I've used the throttle friction lock on a few super slab rides with no problems...keeps that right hand from falling asleep.

Just finished a 700 mile 2 day ride and by posterior is almost raw.  The stock saddle is seriously painful after a 100 miles. Short of a custom saddle is there any combination of underwear, pants, powder, etx that can make this more comfortable? A friend suggested bicycle shorts with gel inserts....Anti-Butt Powder?

Also has anyone used a Throttlemeister or other throttle lock with satisfaction on the V11?

56073[/snapback]

Well, you did leave yourself unprotected (he he he) . . . . lose 20 pounds! :moon:

I used a Roho AirHawk cusion on my V11 Sport for my trip to the MGNOC National 3 years ago. 3000 miles in 8 days. No problem. Autumn Gold Motorcycle Accessories

AH-SmCruiser.jpg

The small cruiser seat seems to fit the V11 Sport pretty well. One caveat. If you don't have it tied down - don't stand up to stretch your legs. Mike Stewarts wife got to watch mine whip away in a strong crosswind on the way back from Prescott a few years ago. Kiss $200 goodbye.

Some of the contributing causes to a painful butt are

1)maintaining pressure points for extended times

2)moisture

3)chafing

1) is the most common and can be somewhat controlled by choosing clothes that DON'T HAVE a seam across your butt. Get a seat, or ROJO, or sheepskin (my fav) that spread pressure out. Standard underwear and bluejeans are the worst in my opinion- they're always developing seams and ridges where I sit.

2) and 3) are closely related. If you get wet, the hair in your...sensitive areas...can feel like sandpaper. Again, a ROJO or sheepskin will allow ventilation. Pants that breath help out. Zip open the crotch area in your riding suit for a free blowjob :D Baby powder- or any talcum powder, really helps to absorb moisture and add some dry lubricant to the area. I just bought some "monkey butt powder" to test it out- it's talcum and calamine. Baby powder does ok for me, I'll see if this stuff is any better. FWIW, the folks at MCN seemed to like it.

Frequent stops to stretch help also, and like sports, long trips are something you just have to practice at to develop the stamina. Oh- and don't forget aspirin! That helps the joint pains.

I have a RM seat, a sheepskin and I wear trousers, rather than bluejeans on long rides. It definitely helps. The bicycle shorts are pretty nice also, but I only use them on 10+ hour days.

Guest Fly4hire
Some of the contributing causes to a painful butt are

1)maintaining pressure points for extended times

2)moisture

3)chafing

Good advice all. I was wearing BMW summer riding pants - good protection, but cordura w/o much ventilation, and briefs that had pressure points just in the wrong places.

I'd love to get a RM seat, but might try the cycling shorts/boxers, and Anti-Monkey Butt Powder first. I'm probably not doing too many really long rides this year, and will try these remedies. If no relief it will be RM over the winter.

Just finished a 700 mile 2 day ride and by posterior is almost raw.  The stock saddle is seriously painful after a 100 miles. Short of a custom saddle is there any combination of underwear, pants, powder, etx that can make this more comfortable?

56073[/snapback]

Everyone else has already hit on the key points: goin' commando, using talcum powder (amazing how folks had all these modern concerns figured out 100+ years ago, huh?), bike shorts for that low-profile extra-padding-where-it-counts feeling, etc.

I'll tell you a secret too: if you're not afraid of taking apart your seat, you can VASTLY improve it's comfort for about $5. I'm coming from using this trick on an '86 GL1200 seat [impossibly uncomfortable, for something that's supposed to be a touring bike! Felt like my nuts were in a vise before I made the mod!] and that modern "most notorious offender," the SV650 [where it easily tripled my "comfort time."] The only thing that's kept me from doing this on the LeMans so far is not wanting to have to drill out the rivets holding the "sissy strap" in place & then having to reattach it when done ['cause I want to keep the stock look.]

Frankly, the only reason I haven't done a writeup on this already is because I keep debating going into business with it & don't want to let the cat out of the bag. It's truly one of those "so absurdly simple, why isn't everyone already doing this?" ideas.

Ride on! :bike: