My fisrt Guzzi got queston

Guest Ginger

Guest Ginger

Hi Folks,

I am the proud owner ( for a week now) of a 2000 V11 sport with 6000miles on the clock.

I am very pleased with it, looks great and goes great.

Its just someone asked is it supposed to rattle like that? and my reply is - its a Guzzi they are supposed to rattle.

But are they?, that's my queston.

There is a rattle at tick over and through the lower rev range to about 4000rpm.

The rattle isn't obtrusive it's just there. It doesn't bother me I just love the bike.

The performance of the bike to me is fine it certainly reaches the legal speed limit faster than my last bike (Bandit 600) and pulls well in all the gears.

Its just that not knowing anyone with experience of Guzzi's I am just looking for a bit of reassurance that a wee rattle isn't anything to worry about.

I bought the bike from a reputable local dealer (Non Moto Guzzi) with a 28 day warranty.

Thanks Ginger

Welcome to V11 ownership!

I am sure your bike is fine ("they all do that sir") but if you want some reassurance it may be worth getting another Guzzi owner to have a listen.

There are plenty of guys in the Scottish branch of the Moto Guzzi club GB who I am sure will help you.

The Highland branch contact is Ronnie Leadbitter on 01250 872125.

They are due to have a camping weekend at Findhorn on 12 / 13th August if you fancy meeting up with them.

Regards

Guy :helmet:

Hi Ginger

I have a v11 if you want to listen to it, I must admit i wondered what i had done buying it when i heard it running but now i just ignore the noises unless they sound terminal. I took it down to moto ecosse (reccomended) in ayr for its 6000 mile service and it felt a lot better on the ride home, While i was there a guy went out on a breva 1100 and it made all the right/same noises as mine. Anyways if you want to hear mine its no problem (i live in aberdeen).

Gary :mg::nl: (by the way what does this green icon mean??)

...There is a rattle at tick over and through the lower rev range to about 4000rpm. The rattle isn't obtrusive it's just there..../quote]

Ginger, welcome to Guzzi! Yeh they do rattle. Tappets are esp rattly (in fact you should worry if they were quiet) - Is that where the rattle's coming from (covers on top of cylinder heads)? Clutch also rattles.

Chances are it's normal - but like everyone says - try get someone who knows Guzzis to listen. Guzzi people are usually pretty easy going & happy to meet/talk Guzzi.

Good luck, KB :sun:

Gaun yirsel, Ginger.The gearbox rattles a bit as well at tickover, really unless it gets helluva loud it's normal for these things to tick tock jingle jangle.

Grossohc, how was Moto Ecosse? It would be handy to know ,in case I need a odd bit or piece on my way past

Gary      :mg:  :nl:  (by the way what does this green icon mean??)

56672[/snapback]

It's The Netherlands, mate! Don't forget who's the Über Admin on this site! :D

Cheers

Søren

Guest Ginger

Folks

thanks for the prompt replies. And the reassurance.

To me the untrained ear I would say it would sound like rattly tappets (noise coming from around the rocker covers) and I always thought that Guzzi's were never meant to sound like a jap bike.

I live 30 miles south of Aberdeen and also I am currently working in the Granite City so I might just take grosohc up on his offer. :mg:

Cheers Bruce

Hi folks

Ginger you are more than welcome to drop in by and have a listen to my guzzi (it has mistrals on, but its just a tadge noisier according to the neighbours). I live in cove so its on your way home, bad news is i am offshore till wed. afternoon weather permitting but phone me anytime after that on 890719 and we can arrange something.

Big J

I was impressed with moto eccosse, i was late getting there because of the g8 summit but they stayed open late to finish my bike and the bike was a lot smoother on the way home than it was getting there. I dont think they have a big spares set up but the owner Mel who has just taken it over has some good sounding ideas for the future and is Very enthusiastic about all things guzzi.

:mg:

It's The Netherlands, mate! Don't forget who's the Über Admin on this site!  :D

Cheers

Søren

56710[/snapback]

Now it makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nigel stretton
Hi Folks,

I am the proud owner ( for a week now) of a 2000 V11 sport with 6000miles on the clock.

I am very pleased with it, looks great and goes great.

Its just someone asked is it supposed to rattle like that? and my reply is - its a Guzzi they are supposed to rattle.

But are they?, that's my queston.

There is a rattle at tick over and through the lower rev range to about 4000rpm.

The rattle isn't obtrusive it's just there. It doesn't bother me I just love the bike.

The performance of the bike to me is fine it certainly reaches the legal speed limit faster than my last bike (Bandit 600) and pulls well in all the gears.

Its just that not knowing anyone with experience of Guzzi's I am just looking for a bit of reassurance that a wee rattle isn't anything to worry about.

I bought the bike from a reputable local dealer (Non Moto Guzzi) with a 28 day warranty.

Thanks Ginger

56666[/snapback]

hi ginger

well i'm probably going to say the same as everyone else about guzzi rattles, they do !!! I have just bought a 1999 V11 sport with 5200Km on the clock (in two months its now up to 10000Km) and it just so much fun. seem to remember my old Spada rattled as well but as it has not run in the past 5 years my memeory is faiding or is that old age! im chopping it, is that sacralidge!

Any how my V11 has a clunky'ish clutch with the cluch leaver released and in nutral but if i just dab the clutch leaver in and out it goes quet and if i pull the clutch in i get the usual rattle. just have loads of fun. or have i got something to wory about.

nigel

Guest nigel stretton
Heh! Lets see some photos!

KB :sun:

57186[/snapback]

here you go, not quite finished yet but almost ready to run :D

post-1930-1123015612_thumb.jpg

You're 'Chopping' an SP? an offence that in my book should get you at least twenty years in a stone cell with only a fat Tongan sodomite for company, but I'm probably in the minority so I'll shut up.

The thing is, if you have an old roundfin and you reckon your V11 rattles I'd have to suspect that there's something wrong! Roundfins rattle like two cheesegraters fornicating in an iron tank! If your V11 sounds worse than your old SP then there has to be something wrong with it!!!!! :P

Pete

Guest nigel stretton

hi pete

your probably rite about the chop, and the cell sound brill lol

Cant remember how much noise my SP made, just remember it did. so cant compare it to my V11. Iv had triumphs & BSA's that made more mechanical noise. i did hear a 1100 sport at the rock and blues last weekend, and my V11 was quieter so i think mine is normal, well as normal as guzzi's get.

nigel