Some Future Guzzis?

orangeokie

Guest Chad Lewis

Antonio, while the new bike looks different in many ways it is still very, very similar to the *old* bikes. The new drive shaft arrangement seems to be an enclosed version of the system used on the V11's and, as Will Creedon aptly described it, 'Uglied up a bit' :grin: . The new six speed box? Well, yes, it's new, but it's a gearbox, people have been making 'em for several centuries and while it will hopefully be less trouble prone than the current six speeder it's scarcely anything new???? As for the motor? Sticking an extra plug in the head and changing the rod/stroke ratio can hardly be described a an *All New* motor.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the company all the best, even though I can't honestly see myself ever buying another new motorbike, (Except possibly a small-bore Ag-bike for pottering around dirt roads on.) but I hardly think that these attempts at 'New Technology' are anything outstanding. If they help Guzzi sell more bikes I'll be overjoyed but please don't try and pretend they are something they aint!!!!

Pete

58130[/snapback]

Come on now Pete, your beginging to sound like a grumpy old man! Antonio said they are new, and by Guzzi standards they are new. Many of us are quite excited about the new bikes.

True they are evolutions for the most part, but they should be real improvments.

I recomend we give Piaggio a chance. They have had control of Guzzi for 3/4 of a year, and they are doing what they said they would do. This is more than any Guzzi owner has done in over a decade.

I hope like you that Guzzi comes out with some truly new and diffent bikes in the next few years, but until then I hope you don't toss any of us under the bus for having enthusim.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The new drive shaft arrangement seems to be an enclosed version of the system used on the V11's....new six speed box?...it's scarcely anything new???? ..

Pete - have you ridden a Breva? Motor's moved forward, longer (rising rate?) s/a is loads more settled on the road than the crude, direct Tonti & V11 ones, gearchange is as slick as anything outa Japan like no other Guzzi before (Yeah, really). Seems to me Guzzi addressed the weaknesses of the spine frame models, sorted the things that needed sorting. Sure they haven't produced a revolution but (if it proves reliable) it's a hell of a step forward in many ways. Credit where credit's due.

Move on....

KB :sun:

Kinda drifting of topic but the first container of 20 to arrive in Australia is gone as in sold. Three bikes out of the next container are also presold sight unseen let alone ridden. Thunder bikes in Perth WA has sold three in two weeks around here thats to the piont of actually becomming popular. :wacko:

I predict that in 2010 Valentino Rossi will be riding a Millie V8!

...might be a few more years before the road legal version.

But for now, the Le Mans Sport is basically the MGS01 which is the most beautiful balance of form and function in the Guzzi line-up since the V7Sport.

As for the GT, Guzzi is long overdue to have a full sport-tourer, and as sport-touring designs go, that may not be the best, but it is still above par for the course.

Well went around to afore metioned thunderbikes and had my first look at the 1100 Breva. While its not the kinda bike I would actually buy Guzzi are starting to get there. Things like the side stand its steel and wait for it half way along the bike. I usally reach down with my hand and put the one on the 1100 sport down its easier there is no way my leg reaches that far forward while I'm on the bike. I've left it so it still self retracts cause again I can't reach that far forward to retrive it ethier on the bike. Oil filter that you don't need to drop the sump or remove a cover to get too. Its getting scary now, providing they hold together rasnobly well and no stupid things start happening to them who knowes the factory might actually start turning a profit.

People come up to me and tell me they don't make bikes like mine anymore ,"there's probally a good F@#King reason for that too" will be intresting to see something a little more Sporting oriented. Athough they are running out the last of the coppa Italalia and Cafe sports for pretty good prices too. Dunno new road bike is still a little way away I have a VOR super motard to play with at the moment. :race:

Come on now Pete, your beginging to sound like a grumpy old man!  Antonio said they are new, and by Guzzi standards they are new.  Many of us are quite excited about the new bikes. 

58165[/snapback]

Chad, Keith, and anyone else who's interested. I'm NOT criticizing the product saying it's a bad product. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's enough to claim that it is a 'company saving' or 'brilliant and inovative' new product.

I don't personally want a NEW Guzzi for the simple reason that my old ones do exactly what I want. That doesn't mean I don't want to see the company grow, go from strength to strength and build motorbikes as inovative and they did fifty years ago, (albeit then mainly for track use.).

What I have always admired about the marque is that they design a basic, class-leading product as a flagship and then develop it, over a period of years (In some case decades.) before abandoning it and producing something entirely new. In the past the company has been able to subsidise the initial design by having a fleet of small, profitable, machines to feed the flagships. Alas, this is no longer the case, (although re-badging some Piagio scooters with the Guzzi name would I'm sure pay a healthy divident to the firm!) but at the end of the day there are a dwindling number of people who are going to be willing to shell out what are conspicuously big amounts of money on the venerable, air cooled, big twin; especially when the design has been taken to the point where the extracted power is compromising it's longevity!

While I dislike the looks of the Breva and the Griso I accept that my likes and dislikes are completely irelevant, I'm not a prospective purchaser. What I do think is foolish is if Piagio or anyone else tries to claim that either of the models are 'Great White Hopes' that will re-launch Guzzi as a major player in the market place they are either kidding themselves or are incredibly poorly advised!

As Keith said, although applied to me :D 'Move on' I'm dying for the company to do so! While the VA10 is probably a dead duck, something very similar has to be the way to go. A 750-1,000cc transverse V with water-cooling, compact, light and coupled with a shaft drive to offer performance similar to one of those 'orrible oil-head bimmers, modern suspension and a basic platform onto which various 'Styles' could be grafted and built at a green-field site somewhere on the plains, (Sorry guys, Mandello won't work!) and they'd have a sure fire winner. Add in a series of sensible, cheap, eco-friendly scooters and commuters all bearing the Falcon and I reckon the company could go gangbusters.

Believe me, I'm not anti-progress, or anti-Guzzi. What I am is anti-bullshit and anti-fantasist! As long as the Breva and Griso are as well built and reliable as I, and all of us, hope they will be, then I'll be at the front of the queue cheering 'em on. But they are, as I'd hoped the V11 would be, a stop-gap and filler at best. I don't want the Falcon to sit on a twig scratching it's beak with a tallon! I want it to SHRIEK as it stoops on it's prey, (Most notably those awful bloody oil-head bimmers!!!!! How can they sell so many of those dreadful things? They're like riding a damp sponge????)

Pete

I've had to wait a while to take delivery but as we don't leave for the GMG in Mandello until 10th September, I've just enough time to cover the initial 625 miles/1000 km and have the first service done :luigi:.

It was a good long test ride which really sold me on this new model. It's so refined compared to the V11 but still has plenty of that unique Guzzi character. I know a few magazine road tests have said that the engine lacks punch, but I thought it was better than the V11 at low to medium revs.

Moto Strada in Shipley are supplying the bike and they've had a lot of interest from existing BMW owners, who've found that their newer models lack any real character.

Guest slowpoke

I don't know what it is but Moto Guzzi has some of the most loyal fans of the marque of any motorcycle company. All of us want them to succeed. Sure I would love to have a Mille V8 or new LeMans as pictured above but I believe they should continue down the road which gets the most reliable motorcycle into production. Once that happens and the money starts to roll in it's time for experimentation. Hell, I just want a 4V version of the street legal MGS-01 produced. It is on the horizon...

Guest Nogbad
I don't know what it is but Moto Guzzi has some of the most loyal fans of the marque of any motorcycle company. All of us want them to succeed. Sure I would love to have a Mille V8 or new LeMans as pictured above but I believe they should continue down the road which gets the most reliable motorcycle into production. Once that happens and the money starts to roll in it's time for experimentation. Hell, I just want a 4V version of the street legal MGS-01 produced. It is on the horizon...

58605[/snapback]

And I would like a Griso with a fairing and clip-ons.......