Transmission recall?

bigbikerrick

My v 11 naked is an 2003 on the title but manufactured 2/2002 on the steering head stamp, no front exhaust crossover, crummy engine paint, so its an 02. how do I know if my bike is one that needs the transmission recall performed? Thanks, Folks!

Rick, recall applied to 2000 and 01 bikes only.

No 2002 or later models were subject to the recall.

Recall applied thru Vin ZGUKRAKR11M114435

10th digit of your Vin should be 2 for 2002 model, 3 for 2003.

Cross this one off your list of things to worry about.

Rick, recall applied to 2000 and 01 bikes only.

No 2002 or later models were subject to the recall.

Recall applied thru Vin ZGUKRAKR11M114435

10th digit of your Vin should be 2 for 2002 model, 3 for 2003.

Cross this one off your list of things to worry about.

58635[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply Todd, I assume this recall is for the tranny spring 16mm boss vs 15mm boss issue. so does this mean I dont have to worry about the spring breakage issue on my bike?

Thanks for the reply Todd, I assume this recall is for the tranny spring 16mm boss vs 15mm boss issue. so does this mean I dont have to worry about the spring breakage issue on my bike?

58682[/snapback]

Yes you do have to worry. On this, other, side of the Atlantic we're not aware of any 'recall' for this issue, but you can get the parts (pawl arm and spring) under warranty. Take the side cover off and measure the boss and spring to see if your's needs changed, or get someone (who you trust to measure correctly) to do the job for you. It's a good opportunity to clean any sludge out of the gearbox too.

The other recall was for a different issue on earlier bikes, though I can't remember what.

Guest Nogbad
The other recall was for a different issue on earlier bikes, though I can't remember what.

58689[/snapback]

As I understand it the Luigis made the 3rd and 6th selector sleeves from dried pasta after becoming confused on returning from a mafia wedding and mistaking the canteen for the steel store.

Rough handling of one of these boxes can apparently shatter the pasta, locking the rear wheel and turning the rider into a large ravioli.

In damper climes such as the UK, rain entering through the gearbox breather made the pasta more flexible, improving its impact strength and fatigue resistance to the point where the problem was unknown.

Apparently the bean counters at Mandello are now investigating the import of Chinese fortune cookies for machining into Breva gearbox parts.....

Yes you do have to worry. On this, other, side of the Atlantic we're not aware of any 'recall' for this issue, but you can get the parts (pawl arm and spring) under warranty. Take the side cover off and measure the boss and spring to see if your's needs changed, or get someone (who you trust to measure correctly) to do the job for you. It's a good opportunity to clean any sludge out of the gearbox too.

58689[/snapback]

Will the dealer give you a pawl arm and spring under warranty if it has not broken yet? what do you think is the best way to go about this? Thanks Rick.

Will the dealer give you a pawl arm and spring under warranty if it has not broken yet? what do you think is the best way to go about this? Thanks Rick.

58727[/snapback]

If the parts fitted are the wrong dimensions, then surely they will? I just wrote and said that I needed the parts, gave the bike's warranty number, and I got the parts sent to me. It seems that MG now acknowledge this problem and the two new parts are supplied together as a 'kit'.

If the parts fitted are the wrong dimensions, then surely they will? I just wrote and said that I needed the parts, gave the bike's warranty number, and I got the parts sent to me. It seems that MG now acknowledge this problem and the two new parts are supplied together as a 'kit'.

58736[/snapback]

Did you write directly to Moto Guzzi, or to a dealer?

Did you write directly to Moto Guzzi, or to a dealer?

58754[/snapback]

A dealer in England, as there is no local dealer, indeed none in Northern Ireland.

Your best bet must be with the bike's original supplier. If not, try whoever is responsible in Aprilia (or maybe Piaggio). In U.K., willingness of MG dealers to supply warranty items for bikes that they didn't supply seems to have gone.

You can always just buy the parts, or buy a new spring and modify the old pawl arm to correct it. If your spring is ok, but the pawl arm boss is too big, then filing it down means you can do the fix at no cost.

A dealer in England, as there is no local dealer, indeed none in Northern Ireland.

Your best bet must be with the bike's original supplier. If not, try whoever is responsible in Aprilia (or maybe Piaggio). In U.K., willingness of MG dealers to supply warranty items for bikes that they didn't supply seems to have gone.

You can always just buy the parts, or buy a new spring and modify the old pawl arm to correct it. If your spring is ok, but the pawl arm boss is too big, then filing it down means you can do the fix at no cost.

58778[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply, Im going to have to take that cover off and take a look inside.

The new ratchet arm for Helen's bike arrived recently after being on order for several weeks and the boss was definitely smaller than the original so hopefully Guzzi are providing the modified part for all new orders.

I posted a few weeks back that my first attempt at ordering a new ratchet arm resulted in receiving one with an even bigger boss than the original so watch out for old stock.

Incidently, the spring from my V11 (which broke by coincidence a few days after Helen's went) snapped in a different place to most of the other failures I have seen.

It snapped about halfway along which makes me think it may have been due to a faulty spring. I never got a chance to measure the ratchet arm myself as it was fixed under warranty.

Guy :helmet: