Noisy clutch , (groan!!!)

Guest kfz

Standard stuff V11 sport, 12K miles but clutch makes a racket when engaged (lever out) and not a metalic rattle but a good donk donk donk, sounds to me like a busted up plate. Goes quite soon as you pull in. ,which is eactly the oppistie of what supposed to happen.

Ok or what? Behaves fine other wise. Worth running back end off and taking a look?

Whats the clutch like on the V11 is it simaler to the sporti clutch?

Kev

My 04 Lemans does the same thing. I started noticing it at around 2000 miles. I now have 11,500 miles on it and it still does it. I'm not sure if it is getting worse or not. When mine is doing the donk, donk, donk thing I can pull in and release the clutch lever several times and get it to shut up. There are about 3 different levels of noise anywhere from donk, donk, donk... to chink, chink, chink... to clack, clack, clack...to quiet. I don't get it. lately I am wondering, is it the clutch? Or, is it the transmission? Really bugs me. It shifts fine and the clutch is smooth and performs without a glitch. So far this is my only real dissappointment with the bike. I can tolerate and almost enjoy the other common guzzi noises. But this one has me worried. During normal country side romping I usually wear ear plugs and the bike is just wonderful and it is not an issue but when putting around town without earplugs I'm really bothered by it. Reminds me of High School, riding my old BSA 441, when I thought for sure it was going to come apart, but it didn't, it just kept on going donk, donk, donk. My current plan is to ride it until it breaks. It seems that's what it will take to get my dealers attention. So far my dealer says it's not an issue, sounds normal. If it doesn't get resolved eventually I would consider one of those single plate RAM low inertia clutch kits from MG Cycle.

Rocketman

Sounds like a perfectly normal single plate Guzzi clutch to me. Thats what noise mine makes more or less. What is your particular Lemans? If its a Scura Tenni or Rosso Mandello thats how they sound. Matter of fact I'm kinda sold on that sound now, its part of what makes it unique & Italian. You may well have a bad clutch...I cant hear whats going on but I wouldnt worry about it at all unless your having trouble getting the clutch to engage or something like that.

Richard100t,

Mine is a 2004 Lemans with the dual plate clutch. With the clutch pulled in it makes the expected chink, chink, chink sound. I think KFZ and I are talking about the noise we are experiencing with the clutch lever out. Are you saying that these descibed sounds are normal? Nothing to worry about?

Rocketman

Richard100t,

Mine is a 2004 Lemans with the dual plate clutch.  With the clutch pulled in it makes the expected chink, chink, chink sound.  I think KFZ and I are talking about the noise we are experiencing with the clutch lever out.  Are you saying that these descibed sounds are normal?  Nothing to worry about?

Rocketman

60213[/snapback]

Ive heard plenty of tonti guzzis and this noise sounds very much like a loose/unrivited plate. lever out its a donk donk donk, not a nice sound by any stretch. Lever in nothing.

Doesnt sound right to me. If it wasnt for the fact its a v11 so i know bugger all about it and b its seems to work ok it would be swinging from the rafters with its arse in the air.

Kev

Sounds like a perfectly normal single plate Guzzi clutch to me. Thats what noise mine makes more or less. What is your particular Lemans? If its a Scura Tenni or Rosso Mandello thats how they sound. Matter of fact I'm kinda sold on that sound now, its part of what makes it unique & Italian. You may well have a bad clutch...I cant hear whats going on but I wouldnt worry about it at all unless your having trouble getting the clutch to engage or something like that.

60211[/snapback]

Does it have that stupid aprilia single plate clutch? You joking! i thought that only ended up in the cali?

aww no.

Justy had a root through wildguzzi and the noisy is standard single plate stuff.

How do i tell if its a single plater, Will a single plate clutch be in a V11sport Mandello rossi or some other rubbish?

And my last question, who retard in Aprilia thought up this single plate clutch bollocks. Perfectly good clutch, works fine ,have to ruin it.

Kev

Kev,

Single plate was fitted to ltd ed versions of V11: Scura (Black w/Ohlins kit), Tenni (Faired, green/white roundel, suede seat), Rosso Mandello (Red valve covers). Other V11's have twin plate.

Single plate is hellish noisy clutch engaged (lever out).

KB :sun:

PS: not interested in coming on a run out to Wales tomorrow are you? Ponderosa, 9am.

Kev,

Single plate was fitted to ltd ed versions of V11: Scura (Black w/Ohlins kit), Tenni (Faired, green/white roundel, suede seat), Rosso Mandello (Red valve covers). Other V11's have twin plate.

Single plate is hellish noisy clutch engaged (lever out).

PS: not interested in coming on a run out to Wales tomorrow are you? Ponderosa, 9am.

60217[/snapback]

Keith,

Yep mandello rosso red rocker covers. That explains something. The clutch is horribe noisy but works ok.

Where all these single plate clutches recalled for free upgrade too twin plate or is it stuffed?

Id like to but no bike at the moment, im losing my enthusiam.... all off the road now.

Have you got gas? all the petrol stations are closed here. All run out. i queued for an hour yesterday as the car was on empty. made it by about 3 cars before ASDA ran out.

Kev

Keith,

Yep mandello rosso red rocker covers.  That explains something. The clutch is horribe noisy but works ok.

Where all these single plate clutches recalled for free upgrade too twin plate or is it stuffed?

Id like to but no bike at the moment, im losing my enthusiam....  all off the road now.

Have you got gas?  all the petrol stations are closed here.  All run out. i queued for an hour yesterday as the car was on empty. made it by about 3 cars before ASDA ran out.

Kev

60219[/snapback]

Yes if you have a Rosso Mandello you have the single plate clutch. It was before Aprilia bought Guzzi though so I dont know who made the clutch. Dont worry about it, thats just how they sound. Mine sounded like that brand new & hasnt changed a bit. Its a great clutch as long as it doesnt explode :rolleyes::whistle:

...Where all these single plate clutches recalled for free upgrade too twin plate or is it stuffed?

Have you got gas? ...

Kev,

No recall. They're noisy. I have a single plate in Scura. Works fine (15K miles) just makes a lot of noise from new (clutch engaged/lever out).

There have been 4 or 5 Scuras we've heard of here w/disintegrated flywheel. Cause unknown tho there's plenty theories. These failures seem to have been preceded by nasty sounds beyond the normal hellish loud rattle. Do a search.

My understanding is V11 single plates are a different unit to the Cali single plate which failed cos of friction plate material.

I just drained the Tonti for a tank for the V11. See how it goes tomorrow. I'm hoping some of the quieter stations may still have fuel. Least I can get to Ponderosa & back - but guess we haven't chosen the best time for a tour...too late to call it off now ....

I think Keith has it right here. I dunno why the single platers rattle with the lever *out* but My guess is that there are probably cush springs in the pressure plate system somewhere that will lash about when the clutch is not in use. I can't remember offhand as the only single plater I've seen was a busted one I got sent out of a Scura and I took the remains of that to the tip last week so I can't go and check, sorry.

Pete

Pete,

Can you tell me why my 04 Lemans with dual plate clutch makes so much racket with the clutch lever out. The noise changes intensity, anything from clunk, clunck, clunk to donk, donk, donk to clack, clack, clack, and will actually go away when I pump the lever a few times. See my previous posts for more details.

Rocketman

As I said above, I don't really know. My guess is cush springs rattling about but also the one Scura clutch I saw the gearbox input boss was very badly worn so if this is coupled with a low idle speed and/or poorly ballanced throttle bodies it could be backlash in the boss splines or even between the dogs on the pinions in the box. I really have little experience with the six speeders, I've never had a six speed box apart so anything I said would be pure conjecture.

pete