Noisy clutch , (groan!!!)

Guest kfz

My 2000 V-11 Sport makes a lot of noise with the lever out, but quiets completely at about 25% lever pull.

Then it makes a different (whirring) kind of noise from 25% to 100% lever pull.

I've looked over the Service Manual and cannot determine what causes disengagement of the clutch on the dual plate unit. HELP! :luigi:

The old dual plate is very simple, it's just the *Opposite* of what people expect

When you pull the lever the slave cylinder pushes onto the thrust bodies in the back of the gearbox. They in turn push on the pushrod which sits in a thrust cup in the middle of the pressure plate at the front of the clutch. Behind the pressure plate are a number of springs, (10 I think on the V11's) which are compressed when the clutch is pulled *in*.

This relieves the clamping force on the two friction plates and the intermediate plate so the crank and flywheel can spin independently of the input shaft and clutch hub. As the clutch is *released* the springs cause the pressure plate to clamp the friction and intermediate plates against the ring gear and Hey-Presto! Drive to the bike.

The important thing to remember on earlier models, but which is pretty much irrelevant on the V11 due to it's hydraulic clutch, is that the plates wearing causes the free play in the system to diminish, not increase. With a V11 with it's greater power output I'd expect the clutch to start slipping prior to the slave cylinder reaching the point of bottom.

Pete

I I dunno why the single platers rattle with the lever *out* but My guess is that there are probably cush springs in the pressure plate system somewhere that will lash about when the clutch is not in use.

60231[/snapback]

Sounds more than a few springs, sounds like a plate, its not a rattle, its a good engine speed donk donk donk donk donk donk.

sounds horrible.

Oh well as long as it works.

Kev

I also have a twin plate V11 that makes wierd noises in neutral with the clutch lever out (and like rocketmans bike it goes quieter if I pull lever in and out a couple of times).

It certainly did not do it in its early days and as Pete suggests it does sound like some sort of backlash in the gearbox but the bikes been like that for ages (now on 20k) without anything falling apart. If I have to strip it down for any reason I'll look into it but until then I'm just enjoying riding it.

Mal :helmet:

I also have a twin plate V11 that makes wierd noises in neutral with the clutch lever out (and like rocketmans bike it goes quieter if I pull lever in and out a couple of times). 

It certainly did not do it in its early days and as Pete suggests it does sound like some sort of backlash in the gearbox but the bikes been like that for ages (now on 20k) without anything falling apart.  If I have to strip it down for any reason I'll look into it but until then I'm just enjoying riding it.

Mal :helmet:

60273[/snapback]

Yes, this is precisely how mine is. I did get it to quiet down a bit by balancing the injectors.

Has anyone ever found the thrust bodies or throwout bearings to be a source of noise? I'm wondering about the "whirring" sound when the clutch is pulled. Maybe you can just hear that whirring when the clutch is pulled because the CLANGING is gone! :whistle:

The single plate clutch does not have the 10 individual clutch springs like the twin-disc unit. Rather, it has one large diaphragm spring, like the old Norton. That'd certainly create a different sound!

When I first got my V11 I was amazed at the noise when it was in neutral with the clutch lever out. What a racquet.

My 02 California was quiet as can be be. Anyway I asked a highly respected MG dealer if the noises I was hearing were normal for my bike and the answer was yes. To the unknowing it sounds like something is terribly wrong when actually everything is happy happy in there.

Mike

Guest rosso mandello

Well, the noise you will have to live with.

My ROSSO MANDELLO has an RAM clutch, single plate and wery scary noise. It has 17.000 km on the clock and runs fine, sounds terrible. I have not heard of RAM clutches that blew up, but the MOTO GUZZI aftermade clutch fittet in the SCURA and TENNI has had severe problems, well covered in this forum.

I learned a lesson, shut up and drive.

ciao Mogens.

When I first got my V11 I was amazed at the noise when it was in neutral with the clutch lever out.  What a racquet. 

My 02 California was quiet as can be be.  Anyway I asked a highly respected MG dealer if the noises I was hearing were normal for my bike and the answer was yes.  To the unknowing it sounds like something is terribly wrong when actually everything is happy happy in there.

Mike

60287[/snapback]

Not a good guide that though Say that about any noise, 'they all do that sir' while bits of bearing come flying out and oil pisses out everywhere.

Which is why the bike came to me, I assumed it had the twin plate (sporti/daytona) clutch and the bike was 30 secs away from a good hiding with Mr hammer.

Good job i asked eh?

Kev

As you can see from the blurb on the left, I have a Scura

I was horrified at the noise mine made as I pulled up at home after collecting it. Although it is quiet when cold as it reaches working temperature it rattles like hell

When I dug into this topic the basis of the info I came out with was that the rattle was normal with clutch disengaged. Unlike th twin plate the rattle was said to be the transmission backlash, exascerbated by the light flywheel. I was advised to raise the tickover to 1100rpm and consider putting heavier gearbox oil in.

I have raised the tickover and it has helped. I have got used to the noise and whilst I don't like it, I can live with it.

I am always listening for that heavier warning sound of impending explosion though.

Nige. :unsure:

As you can see from the blurb on the left, I have a Scura

I was horrified at the noise mine made as I pulled up at home after collecting it. Although it is quiet when cold as it reaches working temperature it rattles like hell

When I dug into this topic the basis of the info I came out with was that the rattle was normal with clutch disengaged. Unlike th twin plate the rattle was said to be the transmission backlash, exascerbated by the light flywheel. I was advised to raise the tickover to 1100rpm and consider putting heavier gearbox oil in.

I have raised the tickover and it has helped. I have got used to the noise and whilst I don't like it, I can live with it.

I am always listening for that heavier warning sound of impending explosion though.

Nige.  :unsure:

60291[/snapback]

Yo Nige, how you doin,I forget you got yourself A guzzi again.

Kev (i think)

Yo Nige, how you doin,I forget you got yourself A guzzi again.

Kev (i think)

60295[/snapback]

Not too bad, all things, considered...How's yerself?

Oh yes...

Always nice to see you posting, matey :thumbsup:

Nige. B)