2002 LeMans shifter Pawl Spring

Jim Malm

Yikes! I hadn't checked the forum recently and now find that having my 16mm pawl boss turned down to 15mm and using the Racecraft spring might have been the wrong thing to do. Has anyone who has done the conversion had any problem because the spring might now be too loose? My bike seems to be shifting fine so far with the new spring and smaller pawl boss.

Our new dealer, Westside Motorsports, here in Spokane has been pretty cool about the warranty thing so far. They replaced the factory spring with my after market Racecraft item and turned down pawl and haven't charged me anything (yet). As far as I know, the replacement part(s) they ordered from Guzzi for my bike have not yet arrived so I'm glad I brought in my own parts and got back on the road. If anything interesting on the warranty happens I'll post it it here.

Jim

Yikes!  I hadn't checked the forum recently and now find that having my 16mm pawl boss turned down to 15mm and using the Racecraft spring might have been the wrong thing to do.  Has anyone who has done the conversion had any problem because the spring might now be too loose?  My bike seems to be shifting fine so far with the new spring and smaller pawl boss.

Our new dealer, Westside Motorsports, here in Spokane has been pretty cool about the warranty thing so far.  They replaced the factory spring with my after market Racecraft item and turned down pawl and haven't charged me anything (yet).  As far as I know, the replacement part(s) they ordered from Guzzi for my bike have not yet arrived so I'm glad I brought in my own parts and got back on the road.  If anything interesting on the warranty happens I'll post it it here.

Jim

63659[/snapback]

I dont think you will go wrong with what you did, Ive got the racecrafter spring on my workbench and plan to put it in and file down the boss if its 16mm. no matter what MG says, I think this is the most reliable setup.

• 6 months later...
Well put, Windchill. Like you say it's a case of differing perspectives.

Keep yer chin up,it'll get sorted out.

I dont necessarily disagree with you, but whilst MG may be part of a huge combine, I get the feeling that investment from Aprilia wasn't as great as has been touted, remember that Aprilia was haemorraging money into motogp at the time. I certainly dont see any great improvement in quality control from the Daytona/ Sport1100 days.Maybe I'm wrong.

And they're Italian after all. You can excuse a lot for the way it looks and goes. Well, I can. Perfection? Pah! Gimme a few flaws any day.

That said, if it looked like the Breva, I'd have driven my truck over it by now.

61421[/snapback]

As a new V11 owner, whos freakin' pawl spring broke on day two of owning the used biek with 4,200 miles on it, HAVE WE THOUGHT OF A CLASS A ACTION LAWSUIT against Guzzi?

As a new V11 owner, whos freakin' pawl spring broke on day two of owning the used biek with 4,200 miles on it, HAVE WE THOUGHT OF A CLASS A ACTION LAWSUIT against Guzzi?

86742[/snapback]

As a lawyer, whose pawl spring broke at c.6K and 500 miles from home and nearest dealer, and which episode cost more than $500 in U-Haul costs, yes. I thought about that and many other nasty things as I drove the truck from Missouri to Atlanta. :bbblll:

Then I got it home, read the many helpful posts here, got it fixed, and have been riding and grinning the 13K miles since. Carry an extra one and instructions, tho. :whistle::luigi:

I literally feel your pain, but it won't last long. :race: