V11 Quota

docc

So many of my fellow riders have succumbed to the 'adventure tour' thing that I am looking for a suitable "drop-doggie." I cringe to flog the Sport up mining access roads.

I am hoping for 500 lbs +/-, 200 mile range, 70+ hp and the exhiliration of the v-twin. Something not too pretty to bolt boxes and lights to.

jaap's "leMans" site has been most accepting of a variety of variants on the modern Guzzi. What's the link? Spine frame? Six speed? Certainly not the LM fairing as we'd have to show Jaap the door . . .

So, what of the Quota? Just a poseur? A real contender for the Triumph Tiger?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The quota is very heavy for offroad, but it can be done. In stock trim, they suffered from surging at low rpm- incidentally- they have a single intake injector. I've heard the stock seat is typically unbearable as well. Quirks aside, they are fun to ride and really tall. And all the details like surging are easily addresed.

For 'off roading' or even dirt trails, I'd go for a true dual sport. I've got a KLR650 that I flog around. It is way too heavy and archaic for technical work, but man, is it ever fun. They're a lot cheaper than Quota's also. Speaking of which- I've seen several for sale recently. There's fellow in OK, who's name escapes me now, selling a quota (was in MGNOC newsletter). I've known him from rallies for a couple years and I know he's compulsive- so that would be a bike in good shape. There's several listed on the mgnoc site as well.

I think it probably can be tarred with the same brush as any of the big Twins;

R1??0GS, Valderardo/Africa Twin, Tenere/TDM, D-Strom, Rally Raid, Adventurer, Tiger(okay it's a triple) basicly big comfy road bikes that have a little more ground clearance and are a bit more suitable for unmade roads than your normall road bike. Off road they only come into there own on the open sand where they are capable of higher sustained speeds than the more manouverable single, but when they pile in they do big time and hence I think they're no longer used in Paris-Dakar and the ilk.

I quite like the idea of the big twins for adventure touring, but I think you need to know their limits and your own.

You'd allways need to ride in pairs at least just to pick the bloody thing up repeatedly. Stick to reasonable roads and tracks don't try and do to much.

If you want to do realy wild country a smaller single is the way to go.

But Yeah, go for it. If your mates are on any of the above why not go for the Quota. Is it likely to sustain any more damage in a tumble than a Beemer (plugs etc)? Go kick up some rooster tails across Tennessee.

(my off road experiance is trials a a youth, a week loan of a KLR650 road use, the Lemans down some bumpy rocky tracks on the RBR and its been parked on the lawn all summer as the garage is full :P )

Docc,

if you look for a drop-doggie, don't go for a Quota!

Technical Specifications

Engine Type: 4 stroke air cooled

Displacement: 1064CC, 90° V-twin

Bore/Stroke: 92mm x 80mm

Compression Ratio: 9.5 : 1

Max. H.P: 71 @ 6400 RPM

Max. Torque: 68 ft/lbs. @ 3800 RPM

Valve System: OHV with 2 valves per cylinder

Fuel Delivery: Electronic Fuel Injection

Ignition: Digital Electronic

Transmission: 5 speed with shaft

Clutch: 2 dry Disks

Charging System: 25A x 14V alternator with 13 AH battery

Frame: Chrome Moly square section duplex cradle

Suspension: Marzocchi 41.7mm, forks. WP Progressive-action rear mono shock

Instruments: Speedometer with tripmeter, tachometer and warning lights

Fuel Capacity: 5.2 US Gallons

Braking: Front: Dual 296 mm discs w/ 2 piston calipers, Rear: 260 mm disc

Tires: Front: 90/90 H 21, Rear: 130/80 HR 17

Dry Weight: 541 lbs. (245 kg)

Seat Height: 32.8 inches

Colors: Black or Red

Suggested Retail Price: $ 9,990.00

Try picking that up...

Well see the quota as a sort of bmw r1100 gs. The beemer isn't light either. There is a quota here in NL with v11 engine, it's the engine where I have the gearbox from. The quota breaks are'nt that great, some people have changed them for better things. But it's not a bike you just can buy anything for, to little made.

Well.... not a MG :homer: but a friend of mine has a KTM 950 Adventurer, rode it from Montana to New Hampshire. (Approx. 3250KM for you metric guys) he loves that thing. :wub: Has hard panners which seem to hold a ton, gets good range, is reasonably comfortable and (he says) a ball to ride! Bring your long legs as with all dual sports, Let's not forget that Veeee thump!

I just have a hard time with all that orange! :bbblll:

i've read the tires are tubeless as on the BMW (?)

But the torque band and shaft drive, available HEPKO-becker bags, 32 1/4" saddle all seem pretty attractive. The weight is not ideal but I'm not really looking for an off-roader. Just a bad-roader (malstrada).

That 5.2 gallon tank . . . is that like the Sport's 5.8 tank that will only let you have 5.1?

Also, I would hope you could squeak out closer to 40USG/mile vs the Sport's typical 33-37. (???)

Chasing these fellows into West- By God- Virginia on a VFR 750 was jarring, unnerving and, ultimately put me out of fuel at 194 miles on one tank while blazing it. The Guzzi can't be trusted to go over 175 miles without running dry with nearly a gallon on board.

Plus, I must admit, it is alluring to keep with the Guzzis and still hang with these more 'adventurous' rides without crapping up my Sport. I've been told the Quota is more of a 7/10ths bike but,truth is I'm more of a 7/10ths rider.

I certainly have no problem with the Quota. While the styling is "love it or hate it", you have to remember that this machine is in the family of bikes most suited to forest service roads, and carefull off the beaten path style roads only. You will have to decide if you want a competant pleasant ride on road [Quota] or off road [KLR, DR, XL]. Remember, there is no such thing as the perfect bike. We are in the age of the specialized catagory bike, even the old UJM's [universal Japanese Motorcycle] had tasks that were specialized.

These kind of bikes are on the other hand virtually unbeatable on the twisty tarmac. Your V11's, Ducati's, anything really, will have great difficulty keeping up with you on roads where big power cannot be used. They will crash keeping up the pace you will be able to attain. Add to that the fact that you can carry everything including the kitchen sink with you.

I have heard that the seats on these things are just about as bad as you will find on a KTM, optional seats are available. Also, you will have to deal with the old style 5 speed gearbox, and all it's little foibles. And finally, yes, they did have ECU problems, but Moto Guzzi retro'd virtually every Quota into North America with good ECU's.

And also, with the bad press they got with the ECU situation, they are quite inexpensive, in Canada anyways.

I say go and buy one.

Ciao, Steve G.

What is the most durable, easy to maintain dual-purpose bike under 400 lbs or 700ccs?

61954[/snapback]

Could be these lads –

spectrials.jpg

350cc Price: £2795 500cc Price: £3195

Electra_Trail2.jpg

£3995

Guest Nogbad

I doubt this old retro archaism can carry the "reliable" description.

Furthermore, it's heavy, slow, like 21bhp slow, and will rattle your teeth out - if the engine vibration doesn't get you, the hard (read non-existent) suspension and knobbly tires will.

Add to that the cranky gearbox with right hand shift, and you are in for an interesting time off road. Overpriced as well.

Call the undertaker.

I doubt this old retro archaism can carry the "reliable" description.

61964[/snapback]

DL said durable :!:

That's different