Ohlins rear suspension

Mal

Hiya

I'm toying with spending big bucks on a new rear Ohlins shock for my 03 black V11 Le Mans but the supplier only lists it for 99 to 02 models...is there any difference to 03 models?

As far as I'm aware they lengthened the bike around 02 but did this effect the rear suspension?

I am also puzzled as to why they only list a version with the external preload whilst the Guzzis fitted with them as stock (Rosso Corsa for example) does not have this!

yours confused

Mal :helmet:

Hiya

I'm toying with spending big bucks on a new rear Ohlins shock for my 03 black V11 Le Mans but the supplier only lists it for 99 to 02 models...is there any difference to 03 models?

As far as I'm aware they lengthened the bike around 02 but did this effect the rear suspension?

I am also puzzled as to why they only list a version with the external preload whilst the Guzzis fitted with them as stock (Rosso Corsa for example) does not have this!

yours confused

Mal  :helmet:

62026[/snapback]

Dear Confused,

The Ohlins shock listed (aftermarket) only comes with the remote preload unit. The 99 to 2002 shock will work correctly on bikes 2003 and up.

I do not know why but if the Guzzi came with Ohlin suspension, the only way to get the Ohlin suspension parts are through Moto Guzzi. Meaning if you wanted to upgrade the front forks, the only way to purchase them new is through Moto Guzzi and not through Ohlins. But, Ohlins can sell the rear shock because it is slightly different (rear spring preload adjuster).

And, the Ohlins shock is slightly longer than the Sach shock, this makes the bike steer quicker which is a good thing on the Leman's.

Mike

From previous posting, the Ohlins suspension changed from 2003 on

and was better matched to the bike.

I don't think that anyone has posted exact details yet of what the changes are, what the numbers/specs are.

From previous posting, the Ohlins suspension changed from 2003 on

and was better matched to the bike.

I don't think that anyone has posted exact details yet of what the changes are, what the numbers/specs are.

62051[/snapback]

It had to do the the dampening inside the shock. The early Ohlins shocks were too stiff if I remember correctly.

Mike

Mal,

It might be worth speaking to an Ohlins shop. I found Kais in Manchester helpful for advice & bits (01942896366). I dealt with Nick White there.

The Scura Ohlins shock is, I believe, longer than LM one, increasing rear ride height. Not sure by how much. Unloaded, my bike sits a little under 2" higher than Martin Barrett's LM at the rear, some of this may be differing amount of preload.

A remote preload adjuster would be a fine thing to have. I think the Ohlins shock sold as aftermarket also has adjustable ride height? That'd be nice too.

I weigh about 210lb w/gear. I replaced std 85kg (way too soft) rear spring w/ 100kg. Thinking of going up on the spring again. The trouble with the Scura (02) Ohlins shock is that the internal (not externally adjustable) damping is too stiff, particularly I think, the high speed comp damping. I have heard various reports that revalving to reduce high speed comp damping works well, & intend to get this done. All reports say 03 Guzzis with Ohlins came much better sorted. I have been unable to find out exactly what different specs were.

I think Kais obtained Ohlins spec sheets for both 02 & 03 bikes, but when I asked what the differences were they were unclear - "not much". I'd like to see the sheets...& the one for the aftermartket fitment too...but then they'd probably not mean much to me as I'm a bit simple.

Let us know how you get on.

KB :sun:

The Scura Ohlins shock is, I believe, longer than LM one, increasing rear ride height. Not sure by how much. Unloaded, my bike sits a little under 2" higher than Martin Barrett's LM at the rear, some of this may be differing amount of preload.

62079[/snapback]

What Keith is far too polite to say is that "the rest is because he's a fat (250lb plus gear) git and exceded the Youngs modulus of his spring and squashed it" :)

The difference is quiet noticable and the bikes look quite different. It should also make it turn in quicker etc with more weight over the front. I don't know if there's any difference in the height of the yokes on the forks?

Thanks for the input folks (no comments on Keiths weight)

I have to admit I'm still confused about whether the aftermarket Ohlins (with remote preload) is exactly the same as the Scura type Ohlins, or the Rosso Corsa type or different again :huh2:

I have heard a few remarks here on the forum about the early Guzzi Ohlins being not as good as later ones and having riden Guzziriders 04 Rosso Corsa and a 04 Coppa Italia I know how good these bikes should handle, the Ohlins shocks were in a different league to the Sachs (although I'm pretty happy with my 43mm front forks).

As mentioned here and elsewhere the Ohlins are a little longer than the Sachs and the back end of Guzziriders Rosso Corsa does sit higher but the ride is so good :P: I don't see that as a problem.

As Mike mentioned you can order the Ohlins for a Rosso Corsa etc via Guzzi but this is way too expensive (870 pounds for a rear shock compared to 590 pounds for the Ohlins with preload!? ouch).

I'll get in touch with Harris performance who import them into the UK and ask them to do a bit of investigation between the differences as I don't want to spend good money on something that isn't quite right, hopefully they can sort out this question, I'll let you folks know what they say.

cheers

Some '03 V11's have a larger hollow axel which requires a different axel yoke on the Ohlins.  Don't know if the innards are changed as well.

62183[/snapback]

Only the late 03 had the new hollow axle on the Ohlins. My 03 Rosso has the solid front axle.

Mike

OK (ignore if bored with rear shock tech details :P )

I've spoken to those nice folk at Harris performance (who import Ohlins to UK) and their technical guru spent a while looking up the specs for all rear shock Ohlins fitted to Guzzis and the one offered as an aftermarket fitment for the 99-02 V11s.

He had a database which told him everything from types of springs to damping to the name of the beautiful Swedish lady who packed it.

In short, all models of Ohlins Guzzi fitted to their V11s are identical (length, damping, springs etc) until 04 when they made them shorter (from 286mm to 280mm) with less preload and maybe damping changes (forgotten that one sorry). The Ohlins aftermarket shock that Ohlins offers for V11s is exactly the same spec as the earlier pre04 bikes apart from an external preload adjuster.

No ideas why they changed length :huh2: , for the Ballabio type Cafe Sport maybe? (unlikely) The Harris bloke thought there must have been a change to the frame or mounting points but I've always thought there was no changes to the rear end. I was also under the impression that the earlier Ohlins Guzzi fitted (e.g. Scura) to be not as well sorted as the later versions (e.g. Rosso Corsa) yet I've riden a 03 Rosso Corsa which handled beautifully (maybe this was mounted with an 04 shock). Still confused :grin: